Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Large lady needs elegant gown for child's wedding

amother

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 11:30 pm
I'm in New York. I want something soft & up to date not stiff & heavy like satin. Does anyone have any idea of a Gemach or reasonable rental?

checkbefore

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 2:39 am
What size do you need?

amother

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 7:28 am
16W? 18? I'm not sure, but around that. 1X is usually to big on the bust. I'm tall as well which makes it harder and my arms are the worst part of me. A good allin one girdle can help my torso but my arms are huge.. I could make something but its so expensive.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 11:18 am
Hatzlacha. If all else fails, what I did was I went to Macy's, found a beautiful sleeveless gown and wore with a shell. Believe it or not Dress Barn may have some reasonable options. You'd be amazed at what some nice tailoring, add ons, etc. can do. And mazel tov!

Yocheved84

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 11:27 am
First off, you are not large. You are beautiful and voluptuous. Now that we've got that cleared up:
I definitely recommend a sleeveless black dress that you can pair with a shell underneath and a bolero (this way, you avoid the shell-under-dress look" and look fancy. Keep it simple with the black dress but dress it up with beautiful bangle bracelets, cool necklaces (Macy's has fun costume jewelry right now) and have fun that way. Btw, many stores are having online Black Friday sales today...

Barbara

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in New York. I want something soft & up to date not stiff & heavy like satin. Does anyone have any idea of a Gemach or reasonable rental?

There are a lot of sales going on right now. Nordstrom has 50% off on a lot of dresses. Not this one, but its soft and flowy, and you can easily add a piece to the top:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/al.....=2436

Check out other department stores as well. You're likely to find something for under $150, and you can wear it again.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 25 2011, 1:43 pm
Voluptuous. I like that! Very Happy Thank you all for your suggestions. I don't think a shell under a dress will be fancy enough but maybe if I buy 2 dresses I can make a jacket or something.

If anyone else has any more ideas I'm all ears (and hips and belly and thighs..... Rolling Eyes )

kb

Post Sat, Nov 26 2011, 3:02 pm
You can try Bridal Direct, but it's a rental and I'm not sure how inexpensive...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics