Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
WHAT DO YOU THINK THE RAV'S PSAK WAS?
1  2  Next

mali

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:34 pm
Two years ago, I was cooking up a fancy Seuda. Amidst all the frenzy in my tiny kitchen, I suddenly noticed to my horror, that I had turned over the fish (very expensive, and the last two packs the store had) with the spoon I had used for removing the residue off the chicken soup. The spoon may have had some fat left on it, but no pieces.

When DH came home, he called a Rav. What do you think the Psak was?

Answer to come IYH.

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:35 pm
that it was okay because we are careful about meat and fish and chicken and fish is okay (though one shouldn't mix it l'chatchile)?

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:41 pm
I once mistakenly cooked fish in a fleishig pan that I wanted to use the same day for meat. When I asked a rav, he said that I shouldn't use it for meat for another 24 hours because חמירא סכנתא מאיסורא, the prohibition against eating meat and fish together is because of the danger involved and it is therefore more serious than a normal prohibition. (The fish was permitted, since the pan hadn't been used for meat that day.)

mumsy23

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:41 pm
That its okay because its batil beshishim?

Crayon210

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:43 pm
I don't think a sakana can be batel.

Last edited by Crayon210 on Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

I guess.........throw it out. With the pan. (And the dh, lol)

mali

mumsy23 wrote:
That its okay because its batil beshishim?
As Ribbie said above, the Issur of mixing fish and meat is because of Sakana, and Chamira Sakanta Me'Issura - we're more Machmir when it's a matter of Sakana than with a regular Issur. So the idea of Botel B'shishim doesn't help in this case.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 3:57 pm
Quote:
that it was okay because we are careful about meat and fish and chicken and fish is okay (though one shouldn't mix it l'chatchile

My thoughts too Smile

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 4:00 pm
Rabbi Marlow said he can't asser (the exact words - does that mean he would have liked to, but couldn't?) a pot that was used to cook fish to be used for meat (after 24 hours). e.g., it's proper to have a separate pot, but it's not actual issur to use it for meat if there have passed 24 hours. I heard this at a kashrus seminar for N'shei Chabad.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 4:01 pm
Oh wow, our polls are really moving up the intellectual market.

At least now we can use our brain cells and knowledge of halacha to answer and learn something into the bargain.

I don't have an answer but I would imagine that if you posted it, it was muttar and the rav found some way out because it was a hefsed merubeh. But how, I have no idea.

Now, this is a poll that I'm eagerly awaiting the answer. Tongue Out

cassandra

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 4:55 pm
My Rav actually holds that the sakana no longer applies (which is the reason for the issur) and while it is still a minhag to keep it would have no bearing in a bidieved situation such as this one.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 4:56 pm
Did I miss where you wrote when you were going to tell us the answer Question Surprised

cindy324

Post Sun, Nov 12 2006, 8:59 pm
Oh, boy, someone should make sure technic stays offline until answer is given LOL

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 3:00 pm
Nu? answer? anyone?

mali

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 3:07 pm
We asked Rabbi Landau from Bnei Brak. He's a real Mumche in Kashrus. He asked DH if in general we are Makpid on using a separate pot for fish. We sheepishly answered that we aren't. He said that in that case, we can eat the fish.

BTW, we knew that our guests aren't either Makpid on it, so we had no problem serving it.

The places that have his Hechsher DO have separate fish pots. He's very Machmir when he gives a Hechsher.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 3:20 pm
Thanks for putting us out of our misery, mali.
It was about time. 8)

Motek

Post Sat, Nov 18 2006, 8:50 pm
I don't understand the answer. Confused

mali

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 1:10 am
Motek wrote:
I don't understand the answer. Confused
What part of it?

That particular time, I baked the fish in a disposable pan. The Rav asked us if in general we're Makpid on separate pots for fish and meat, which we're not. I usually cook my fish in a particular pot for practical reasons, but I use it for chicken and meat too when I need.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:20 am
Quote:
He asked DH if in general we are Makpid on using a separate pot for fish. We sheepishly answered that we aren't. He said that in that case, we can eat the fish

Interesting, Though I don't have seperate pot eigther Confused I just make sure it is spotlessly clean.

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:46 pm
I don't understand what difference it makes what pot you usually cook your fish in. What bearing does that have on the spoon you used with the fish?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen