Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
The Bais Yaakov Cookbook
1  2  3  Next

September June

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 5:18 pm
I just saw an ad for this cookbook today, there is no author/organization/school listed. Anyone know anything about it?

This is what the ad says:
The unique cookbook is the first of its kind, containing a wealth of information.
200 easy to follow recipe with stunning full color photography
A personal bracha and challah recipe from Reb. Kanievsky A"H
A pictorial history of Sara Schnirer and the Bais Yaakov movement (Think they included Friedasima's account of how Bais Yaakov began?)
Comprehensive section of halachos of cooking in the kitchen
Guide to complex brachos situations
Color guide to checking fruits and veggies
Tips for shopping and preparing gourmet meals
Comprehensive guide for shopping for meat, wine, cookware etc.

The website on the ad does not work, the phone number is a 773 (Chicago, I believe) area code.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 5:24 pm
September June wrote:
I just saw an ad for this cookbook today, there is no author/organization/school listed. Anyone know anything about it?

This is what the ad says:
The unique cookbook is the first of its kind, containing a wealth of information.
200 easy to follow recipe with stunning full color photography
A personal bracha and challah recipe from Reb. Kanievsky A"H
A pictorial history of Sara Schnirer and the Bais Yaakov movement (Think they included Friedasima's account of how Bais Yaakov began?)
Comprehensive section of halachos of cooking in the kitchen
Guide to complex brachos situations
Color guide to checking fruits and veggies
Tips for shopping and preparing gourmet meals
Comprehensive guide for shopping for meat, wine, cookware etc.

The website on the ad does not work, the phone number is a 773 (Chicago, I believe) area code.

It is a project of Bais Yaakov High School of Chicago. If you want more information, I can have someone involved email you if you'll PM me with an email address. I am surprised that the website doesn't work.

They've been working on this for a while, but I have no idea how far along the project is (again, I can get someone to give you info if you want).

September June

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 6:21 pm
Thank you for the information. I read cookbooks like novels and am always on the lookout for a new cookbook. It does look like a lot of work went into this cookbook and I love school/community cookbooks.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 6:53 pm
I just spoke to the person involved with this. It will be released by Feldheim before Chanukah.

September June

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 7:15 pm
According to Feldheim.com it will be released on December 6th.
Here's the link: http://www.feldheim.com/cookbo......html

Della

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 7:28 pm
[[quote]A pictorial history of Sara Schnirer and the Bais Yaakov movement (Think they included Friedasima's account of how Bais Yaakov began?)[/quote] Rolling Laughter

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 6:50 am
I want to know if there are pictures of women, or is it only pictures of men, boys and matzeivos?

israel22

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 8:31 am
I work in a seminary and we got information about a year ago asking to submit our recipes, I remember thinking sure I sumbit my recipes so u can make a cookbook and make money then call it by cookbook b/c why?!?!? so it was promptly tossed

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:01 am
israel22 wrote:
I work in a seminary and we got information about a year ago asking to submit our recipes, I remember thinking sure I sumbit my recipes so u can make a cookbook and make money then call it by cookbook b/c why?!?!? so it was promptly tossed

If I am not mistaken, Bais Yaakov was targeting all of the alumni to ask to help with this fundraiser for the school by submitting a recipe.

israel22

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:07 am
they sent it to the school not to anyone in specific and it did not say anything about alumni just saying...

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:30 am
It could be...all I know is that the letter that my friends and I all received was titled "Dear Alumni" and went on to explain how they are starting a new project - cookbook - as a fundraiser and they would really appreciate if we would submit our favorite recipe.

Can it be that someone else who worked at the same seminary was alumni from Bais Yaakov?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:34 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I just spoke to the person involved with this. It will be released by Feldheim before Chanukah.

Goody. I sent them some of my recipes

israel22

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 10:15 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
It could be...all I know is that the letter that my friends and I all received was titled "Dear Alumni" and went on to explain how they are starting a new project - cookbook - as a fundraiser and they would really appreciate if we would submit our favorite recipe.

Can it be that someone else who worked at the same seminary was alumni from Bais Yaakov?

thats why I was confused it wasn't addressed to anyone specific so I didn't realize it was specificly for by chicago until I saw this thread

September June

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 2:12 pm
sarahd wrote:
I want to know if there are pictures of women, or is it only pictures of men, boys and matzeivos?

Ok OOT Bubby's contact emailed me sample pages of the cookbook and it looks fantastic! The layout and photography is very professional.
sarahd, there were pictures of women in the book.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 3:49 pm
September June wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Ok OOT Bubby's contact emailed me sample pages of the cookbook and it looks fantastic! The layout and photography is very professional.
sarahd, there were pictures of women in the book.

I'm glad she sent it to you (she is a very close relative of mine).

I am also very happy to hear the book looks nice as it would very nice for the school to profit from it -- 2 of my DDs were educated there, a DD is on staff and teaches there and my granddaughters will be going there shortly. They are embarking on a major expansion into a new building as they are bursting at the seams and way more girls want to attend than can be accommodated.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 5:55 pm
So many cookbooks seem to be making their debut now -

-Bais Yaacov Chicago Cookbook
-Rinat Cookbook (in Teaneck)
-Halb Cookbook
-TAG Cookbook
-Magen David Cookbook
-Artscroll Fresh and Easy by Leah Schapira

lots to choose from....

jbf

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:07 pm
would love to know if anyone actually bought/has seen this in stores and thinks its a good buy.

September June

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:13 pm
Judging from the sample pages I saw, I think it is a good buy. You can look at the sample pages at www.baisyaakovcookbook.com (the website works now).
It is available for sale on Feldheim Publisher's website, here's the link http://www.feldheim.com/cookbo.....html.
I don't know if it's in stores yet, I'm pretty shore it was just released today so it may take a few more days to reach the bookstores.

smile85

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:16 pm
A store in my neighborhood just got it in today - dk if im allowed to mention the name - if it'd be considered an ad.

Anyway, I looked through it - it looked really nice. Some of the recipes looked great - the photos are gorgeous. Didn't buy it yet, tho. Not in the budget. But the lemon biscotti recipe looked GOOD.

Also it says all proceeds to Tzedaka.

jbf

Post Wed, Dec 07 2011, 7:19 pm
I saw the sample pages and they look amazing. the website also says they are offering 20% off and free shipping but it does not say how much it is. will try and call tomorrow and find out.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics