Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How to make pareve buttercream icing w/o yucky ingredients.

ewa-jo

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 5:40 am
I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner..... coconut oil!

I'm vegetarian, so it's not a big deal that I only ever make frostings based on butter/cream/milk but when I am trying to bring a dessert to someone, I don't make anything that needs frosting because I don't use margarine or Rich's or whatever else people use to make pareve frosting.

I get coconut oil in the healthfood store - it's organic, cold-pressed, pure coconut oil -it's really tasty and it's pareve! At room temperature, it's soft like butter and doesn't have an overwhelming coconut flavor. So I made some buttercream frosting yesterday and it turned out nicely.

Yes, coconut oil has piles of calories (it's oil, after all) but I think it's a tastier and healthier way to make frosting if you need to keep it pareve.

grin

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 6:15 am
that's a great idea!
besides, I have a friend who goes on and on about how healthy coconut oil is.

poemmom

Post Fri, Dec 02 2011, 7:35 am
Yum! Could you post exactly how you made it?

Something else I'm wondering about -- the brand I usually see in the health food stores around Yerushalayim (I forget what it's called but I'm guessing it's what you bought) always seem to have the cap popped up on the jar when I see them, so I don't buy them because I'm worried they are spoiled. You know what I mean? Like if something is canned the cap is supposed to be down flat until you open it then it pops up. Was yours like that? Am I just crazy?

Also, any knowledge about whether that factory is considered free of nuts and peanuts? My DD can eat coconut but is allergic to other nuts.

Thanks!!!!!!

Marion

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:45 am
Would never use it; my DH won't touch coconut anything.

pinkbubbles

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 3:21 pm
ha, I thought this was a question about frosting and was going to suggest coconut milk! I haven't tried it yet but thought about it recently. I would use it with melted chocolate. I used soy custard once.

mandksima

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 3:25 pm
I find it has a medium to strong coconut flavor/smell. I bought a big tub of it and use it sometimes but it really isn't neutral tasting/smelling. I wish it were more like a healthy version of vegetable shortening. Same thing with coconut milk/cream. I make amazing chocolate pareve ice cream out of it (I also won't use Rich's or margarine) but if not for the chocolate stronger taste, the coconut would be too overpowering. Maybe I'll try the frosting though, can you post the exact recipe please?

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 7:45 pm
another here with a request for your recipe if it came out...

can u get nonhydrogenated margarine in israel?

whats the nutritional value (calories and fat per tbsp of the coconut oil?

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Dec 03 2011, 11:42 pm
I've been doing coconut oil frosting for years. Very delicious. Only for very special occasions though. It is still pure fat and sugar.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 12:14 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:
another here with a request for your recipe if it came out...

can u get nonhydrogenated margarine in israel?

whats the nutritional value (calories and fat per tbsp of the coconut oil?

I hate to dissappoint, but I never use a real recipe for stuff like frosting. It was coconut oil, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and rum-favored extract.... enough coconut oil to make it creamy and spreadable. It came out great.

Here's the nutritional info. It has more calories (per serving) than butter... and piles of fat, but it's a kind of fat that's easily processed in your system. Also, it has loads of other nutrients.

http://caloriecount.about.com/.....s=4.5

There4you

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:02 pm
miraclemama can you post your recipe too?

ally

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:06 pm
I know this is not AS healthy...but I just used Halva spread to decorate cupcakes for my sons birthday. Its a light colour, so you can dye it to whichever colour you want...I know it has glucose etc...but at least it has some sesame too...

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:45 pm
You can try to get deodorized (refined) coconut oil - it has no smell or taste. Another choice would be to try to get Spectrum Shortening, which is palm and coconut oils. No not healthy fat wise, but not hydrogenated/artificial.

middy

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:49 pm
I use bestlife which I get in the health food store. the consistency is like soft margarine and it's made from olive oil

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 2:59 pm
There4you wrote:
miraclemama can you post your recipe too?

I'm with ewa-jo. Don't use a recipe. Just the oil, powdered sugar and vanilla.... and eyeball it, taste as I go and adjust. (I sometimes add almond extract too. Never rum. Will have to try that one next time).

baba

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 3:09 pm
Just thought I'd share since some people asked for a recipe. I just made this and it's so yummy.

I used this recipe http://dairyfreecooking.about......t.htm

I substituted the margarine with coconut oil, left out the cocoa and put in fresh strawberry juice in stead of the soymilk.

Recommended!

Marion

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:57 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I've been doing coconut oil frosting for years. Very delicious. Only for very special occasions though. It is still pure fat and sugar.

And remarkably (comparatively) expensive.

ssue

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 12:51 pm
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup raw honey
1 cup coconut oil

so yummy!!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:31 pm
Funny, since posting in this thread back in 2011, we stopped using processed sugar, and cut down on sugars overall so much. Now I mix very little CO with just a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup and put the thinnest layer of "frosting" on cupcakes (also low sugar and usually GF). Kids are just as happy with that as when I used to pile it high.

ssue

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 8:05 pm
that's good news. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking