Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Simple & Delicious Dairy Donut Balls
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Isher

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 12:21 pm
Thank you so much for the recipe. I made it last night and everyone really enjoyed it. The only problem I had is that the flour, baking powder and salt didn't combine as nicely and some bites had a baking powder /salty taste to it. Any ideas / advice on how not to repeat the problem?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 5:49 pm
Isher wrote:
Thank you so much for the recipe. I made it last night and everyone really enjoyed it. The only problem I had is that the flour, baking powder and salt didn't combine as nicely and some bites had a baking powder /salty taste to it. Any ideas / advice on how not to repeat the problem?
Whisk the dry ingredients together, so they are well combined, before adding the whisked wet ingredients.

Isher

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 5:51 pm
Appreciate your response. Will definitely IYH try again.

cookielady

Post Sun, Dec 25 2011, 4:09 pm
Very easy and so delicious.

Ronit

Post Sun, Dec 25 2011, 6:15 pm
Really easy & you can't mess these up. I made them last night.

I still prefer the fluffy yeast custard/jelly donuts, but they take much more time.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 25 2011, 6:33 pm
Glad to hear they worked out cookie and Ronit!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:44 am
Delicious.
My first batch I accidentally cooked the batter on too high a temperature -- I'm not sure why you have to heat it at all, but beware of that. It wasn't really a problem though.
My second batch I decided on a whim to do. I didn't have enough farmer's cheese, so I subbed the rest with milk, and added flour to get a better consistency. Wasn't as sweet and took a while to find the right consistency, but my kids loved it all the same Smile

My neighbors also enjoyed them Very Happy

Thank you! This was the easiest way to make my son happy that I was mekayem the "halacha" of making doughnuts on Chanukah.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 4:56 pm
Thanks for your review Hashem_Yaazor! Smile

saweetie

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 9:25 am
Made them last night they were so good! thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 6:27 pm
Glad to hear saweetie! Smile

Ronit

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 11:17 pm
btw ra_mom, I shared both my donuts (the yeast ones in the heavenly thread & these) with a family member & she liked these much better. She loved that they where sort of chewy & moist. I guess we each have our preferences, cuz that was the reason I didn't like them as much.

I look like a donut, from all the donuts I made & ate this Chanukah. I made donuts on three seperate nights- aproximately 130 donuts total. At least I brought most of them to parties, but I ate to many myself. LOL

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 11:55 pm
Ronit wrote:
btw ra_mom, I shared both my donuts (the yeast ones in the heavenly thread & these) with a family member & she liked these much better. She loved that they where sort of chewy & moist. I guess we each have our preferences, cuz that was the reason I didn't like them as much.

I look like a donut, from all the donuts I made & ate this Chanukah. I made donuts on three seperate nights- aproximately 130 donuts total. At least I brought most of them to parties, but I ate to many myself. LOL
Lol Ronit! I ate 2 1/2 donuts this Chanukah, but ate wayyy too much other junk. I can join you in the fluffy donut body department LOL

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 9:45 pm
Is there any way I can bake these instead of frying? If I put enough oil in the pan will it work?
Its not about the health. I need to make a lot and dont have time/ patience to fry them all.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:48 pm
I've been making these every year since the recipe was posted, and I can tell you frying these are super easy. You plop spoonfuls, many at a time in the pot, they roll over by themselves, and you take it out. I think it takes me longer to make pancakes since there are less in the pan at a time and you have to make sure not to crowd those!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 10:49 pm
Since they're batter vs dough, I can't see how you COULD bake them.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
Is there any way I can bake these instead of frying? If I put enough oil in the pan will it work?
Its not about the health. I need to make a lot and dont have time/ patience to fry them all.
If you want to bake donuts, buy donut pans and make a baked donut recipe.
The above recipe is one of the simplest things to fry. (And I usually hate frying.)

HappyMommy23

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 5:23 am
What could I use to replace the farmer's cheese?
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 8:18 am
HappyMommy23 wrote:
What could I use to replace the farmer's cheese?
Thanks!
You can use ricotta cheese to replace the farmer's cheese and milk.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 9:49 am
Susy Fishbein has a recipe in one of her cookbooks called Beignettes (or something like that) that are similar....I substitute soy milk for the milk there, because my DD is off dairy.

I roll them in confectioners sugar right out of the pot, and they are delicious!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 22 2014, 5:38 pm
How do you make these so they all come out round? The round ones turned over by themselves but the oddly shaped did not.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics