Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Online backup for flash drive?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 12:48 pm
I use a Smartboard for a class I teach and keep all my files on a USB drive - images, mp3s, video clips, etc., as well as Word documents for my printouts.

Which worked great for me until toddler DS broke my flash drive, and since I often tweak the lessons on it on short notice, my backup flashdrive is missing many changes to the sheets and media clips.

How can I back up my lessons in the future? I don't want to take up so much space (16gb) on my home computer, and I'm scared that online backup will be costly and take forever to sync every time.

Beach Bum

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:04 pm
I use dropbox and it is great. They give you 2 GB free and if you need more there are monthly plans (I am not sure how much it costs. Check it out on dropbox.com). You just download it on the computers you use, and it automatically syncs and backs it up, as long as there is internet access. You can also open your files from the internet, without downloading dropbox on the computer. It is really simple to use. A similiar program is sugarsync which gives you 5GB free. Both programs are supposedly secure, so check them out and see which comes out cheaper for you.

Maya

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 10:16 pm
We also use Dropbox to store all documents, photos and videos on our computer. It costs $10 per month or $100 a year if you pay up in advance. It's money very well spent, and we learned that after losing our information twice.

As Beach Bum pointed out, it syncs between multiple computers and also has a local folder. In addition, they also have a smartphone app which allows you to also open all documents you have stored in your account.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics