Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How to make Tefillin centerpieces?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 4:32 pm
Any crafty women here? I used to be crafty as a kid, but I might have lost that gene over the years!

Look at the tefillin centerpiece here:

Any idea how I can make tefillin for a centerpiece like that? I have a couple of boys, and would like to reuse the centerpiece for my other sons, so I don't want to use Styrofoam which will probably fall apart after being shlepped to and from the shul.

These are cute as favor boxes, but if you look closely, you can see that they very much look like "I folded this up myself!" hollow boxes: http://www.blumspapergoods.com.....n.php

These look good, but I just called them, and they said they're only 1.5 x 2.5 inches - too small for use as a centerpiece, I think: http://www.blumspapergoods.com/tefillin.php

These might be okay, but the hook for the balloons on top is bothering me, as I won't be tying balloons to the top! http://www.amazon.com/Judaica-.....r=8-3

I'm happy to go to Michael's and make them myself, but I don't know what to buy! Find wooden blocks and spray paint them?

Any ideas?

~ mom of a 12.5 year old boy Very Happy

yummydd

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 4:39 pm
I have no idea how to make this, sorry.

But I saw something cute tefillin shaped recently. A fruit starters, the pineapple was shaped like a tefillin. The base was a thin piece of pineapple cut into a big square and on top was a smaller square block. (hope I explained it clearly) I know you didnt ask for this but thought its cute and would share it.

little_mage

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 4:47 pm
I was thinking that those looked about the size of standard alphabet blocks and was going to suggest going to goodwill or other thrift store and see if you could find a cheap set to spray paint. Michaels might be a better option. They do sell a bunch of plain wooden stuff for you to paint, and if they don't have exactly what you're looking for, they might be able to order it or suggest another place for you to find it. For the straps, I'd get some of the ribbon with wire in it so it holds it's shape better. If you're going to copy the letters and don't trust your painting ability, I'd look for some stickers. You can then paint over them with a clear gloss so they don't get messed up.
Let us know how they turn out!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Dec 05 2011, 5:21 pm
Thanks!

The pineapple sounds really cute, but I'm having a lot of people and don't want to leave much for the last minute! (I don't think freezing pineapple would work!)

Littlemage, I am thinking of the top of the tefillin boxes being more along the size of 4 baby alphabet blocks together. Checking out the unfinished wood at Michael's is a good idea, thanks!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 3:39 pm
After lots of googling, I ordered 4 of these, just to see if I can work with them for my idea:

http://www.blumspapergoods.com/tefillin.php

That site wouldn't ship me less than 65, but itsafavor.com described the same product to me, and was willing to sell me just 4 as a test, so I should get them soon!

I'll keep this thread updated as I figure this out!

Anyone know where I can order black Mazel Tov ribbon??? The candy store here has it!

hadasa

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 12:27 am
I just noticed this thread. For my last Bar Mitzvah I used square brown candles on a styrofoam base covered with brown fabric and a brown ribbon. We stuck a gold contact paper Shin on the candle. It was stunning, sorry I can't post a photo.

This year I think I'm going with a Tefillin-shaped cake with fruit flowers on every table that will later double as desert.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 2:31 pm
Hadasa,
I really like your candle idea. Do you remember where you bought the square candles. Also where you can get gold hebrew lettering? Or did you make it yourself out of gold contact paper? If so, where did you find the gold contact paper?
TIA

innovative mom

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 2:59 pm
I think Amazing savings may have had tefillen boxes that can be used as s centerpiece.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics