Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Subtitled or dubbed?
1  2  Next

If you're watching a program that's in a language that you don't understand, would you rather see it with subtitles or dubbed?
subtitled  
 67%  [ 76 ]
dubbed  
 13%  [ 15 ]
I don't like seeing any foreign programs at all.  
 17%  [ 20 ]
other  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 112

yo'ma

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:40 pm
If you're watching a program that's in a language that you don't understand, would you rather see it with subtitles or dubbed?

I prefer subtitles. I like using closed caption, so the reading doesn't bother me, but looking at their mouth and it's not right is just annoying.

yummydd

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:43 pm
I dont like either of them.

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:46 pm
Subtitles!

Hate dubbing, ruins everything!

little_mage

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 7:13 pm
We tend to watch even English programs with the subtitles.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 9:42 pm
I've always wondered: What exactly does closed caption mean? Is it the same as subtitles? Is there an open caption alternative?

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 11:54 pm
Subtitles. I like to hear the actual language, even if I can't understand it. It adds to the flavour of the program.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 2:38 am
groisamomma wrote:
I've always wondered: What exactly does closed caption mean? Is it the same as subtitles? Is there an open caption alternative?

Closed captioning was actually for the deaf/hard of hearing originally, at least that is what I thought. It simply writes down all the sound that occurs, or at the minimum the words used.
Here's an explanation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.....oning
Because my hearing isn't the best I enabled this on programs, and it was a tremendous help.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 2:54 am
Subtitiles, no question.
In university we watched "like water for chocolate) in dubbed english. Gosh, it was terrible. Their mouths were moving differently than the words were coming out. It took away soooooooo much from the movie.

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 5:44 am
Subtitles. No contest.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 7:48 am
Dubbed. Or plain English if their accent is fine by me. Subtitles I don't like but am used to it. Sometimes the translation is so "babelfish" I just turn them off...

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 8:06 am
My problem with subtitles is I'm too busy reading and not watching...

zigi

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 11:48 am
if its a good dubbing. I will use it, so I don't have to watch the whole time I can hear it. mostly I like to use the subtitles. but I have a really long chinese movie - red cliff that I have to make time to sit and watch

MrsDash

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 11:54 am
Most foreign movies I like subtitles, unless it's a Bruce Lee movie.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 12:03 pm
The first time I saw a movie with subtitles, I was just a kid. I thought I'd hate it, but the movie was amazing. I think it was called, "Europa, Europa."

bigsis144

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 12:47 pm
My mother puts on the subtitles for any movie where the actors speak non-American accented English, or even heavy regional accents.

I definitely prefer subtitles to dubbing. Unless it's INCREDIBLY well-done, the lips not matching the words will bug me to no end.

I was very annoyed when I went to one of the women's chol hamoed movies and it wasn't mentioned anywhere that the film was dubbed from Hebrew into English. I've done ADR for the films I've worked on, where you stand in a recording studio watching the film and trying to talk into the microphone at precisely the right second... it's really tough, and you can't just try to throw a dub track together in one take.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 10:38 am
yoshi wrote:
The first time I saw a movie with subtitles, I was just a kid. I thought I'd hate it, but the movie was amazing. I think it was called, "Europa, Europa."

AMAZING AMAZING movie!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 8:05 pm
the lips not matching up to the words bug me as well, but I miss half of the visual movement and body language and eye contact of the movie when im rushing to read the subtitles..... not as "relaxing"....

either way... I think I have only watched about 2 foreign movies in my life...
but I have watched some israeli news clips with english subtitles which just assist in listening to the hebrew words alone...

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:15 am
There's a lot of emotion that's conveyed in the voice - it would help you understand the film better. Hearing the real actors' voice would add to the movie experience, even if you don't know what he's saying. Dubbed-in voices seldom sound as good as the voices of the actors in a movie.

Leesah

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 8:44 am
I think it's weird to watch a dubbed movie, the acting is all wrong.
I've seen tons of english to hebrew dubs and they are AWFUL!

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 2:45 pm
yo'ma wrote:
looking at their mouth and it's not right is just annoying.

This. It's discombobulating.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics