Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone familiar with "c difficile?"
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 5:46 pm
my son had diahrea straight for 6 weeks. just took a stool test & came back with c difficile. dr gave me flagyl to treat it. my son will not take it. he's 2.4 years old & when I gave it to him he vomited right away. I tied mixing it with diff stuff, but nothing helps. I finally managed to get it down & abt 2 hrs later he vomited again! I'm supposed to give it to him 3x a day! I don't know how I'm gonna do this! I called my pediatrician, he told me there's no alternative for this one. anyone has any ideas?

bnm

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:00 pm
I think my daughter tested positive for that at one point, we made sure to give her lots of probiotics (acidophulus, yogurt etc) and it went away (according to the next test)

honeygold

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:05 pm
I would advise You to ask your Dr if they can prescribe suppositories which is easier to administer for a child. Also try to give ur son something like pedialyte since he can easily get dehydrated. Refuah Shelaima.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:06 pm
she didn't take any meds for it? its usually necessary since its a bacterial infection.

yb

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:10 pm
From a nurse who has dealt with this a LOT:
there is no alternative (unless the Flagyl doesn't work, there are stronger things for that). It really needs to be treated medically because it can cause serious complications from dehydration and malabsorption of nutrients because of the diarrhea. Also, someone who has been on antibiotics in the last few months CAN get it as well (it is contagious in certain conditions). It is important to treat it (not just take probiotics, which would be a good idea after treatment is over).

That being said, getting your child to take it is another story. Did you ask the pharmacist if there is another way to "blend" the medication with flavors, etc.? They sometimes have different options, it's worth it to ask. If your child continues to throw it up, you have to speak to the pharmacist to see if you are giving it at the right moment (empty/full stomach, with/without certain foods, etc.) or to the doctor because it's obviously not being absorbed.

Refua sheleima

amother

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:10 pm
I unfortunately am very familiar with it. One of my kids had it. I used Flagyl, or Vancomycin. It was a pill that had to be disolved in a syringe with water. It was horrible. I had to sit on the kid and hold DC down. You must take the medicine. Also give tons of yogurt mixed with acidophuls. It will take a while before it goes away and did flare up occasionaly. What else did you want to know?

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:17 pm
My mother had to take flagyl and had a very hard time due to stomach upset and a horrible taste in her mouth. It was reccommended to her to take it with ensure which made it go down without a taste problem and coated the stomach as well to help with discomfort and the nausea it caused. I think any thick milkshake type drink would serve the purpose. Went from unbearable to not so bad.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 6:19 pm
candyheart wrote:
My mother had to take flagyl and had a very hard time due to stomach upset and a horrible taste in her mouth. It was reccommended to her to take it with ensure which made it go down without a taste problem and coated the stomach as well to help with discomfort and the nausea it caused. I think any thick milkshake type drink would serve the purpose. Went from unbearable to not so bad.

amother before you.

It is bad.
It is awful.
I licked it myself.
It is one miserable pain.
My DC was also 3 when this happened and when I think back...

ElTam

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 7:26 pm
No advice but hugs. Can you call the drug maker? Maybe they have a help line and can offer advice? Or the pharmacist?

bnm

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 8:55 pm
where are you located? there are pharmacies that can take any medication and turn it into suppositories... I know of one in Manhattan and another in Brooklyn

amother

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 10:00 pm
op here. I'm located in brooklyn. would love to know if I can convert it into suppositories. could u plz post the info?
thanx!
my dr also told me that the board of health might call me about this. anyone knows why? or what they would question me about?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 10:26 am
It is HIGHLY unusual that a child living at home who has not been recently hospitalized would develop C diff. That is probably why the DOH would want to talk to you and figure out how your son got it.
Vancomycin capsules are an alternative to the horribly tasting Flagyl (vanco is the only FDA approved treatment for Cdiff. Using Flagyl to treat Cdiff is actually an off-label use). Tell your doctor you need the vanco since your son refuses to take the Flagyl (unlike the Flagyl, you can open the vanco capsule and sprinkle the powder in applesauce and your son will not know it's there). It is way more expensive but perhaps your insurance will cover it if you can prove the Flagyl will not work for your child.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
It is HIGHLY unusual that a child living at home who has not been recently hospitalized would develop C diff. That is probably why the DOH would want to talk to you and figure out how your son got it.
Vancomycin capsules are an alternative to the horribly tasting Flagyl (vanco is the only FDA approved treatment for Cdiff. Using Flagyl to treat Cdiff is actually an off-label use). Tell your doctor you need the vanco since your son refuses to take the Flagyl (unlike the Flagyl, you can open the vanco capsule and sprinkle the powder in applesauce and your son will not know it's there). It is way more expensive but perhaps your insurance will cover it if you can prove the Flagyl will not work for your child.

Im the amother who had a kid with C diff.

We tried that.
Kid tasted it anyway.
And getting them to FINISH three portions of something daily is worse because youd have to use a whole bowl of applesauce to disguise it and you and your kid are going to go nuts.
Board of Health Didnt call me.

My kid got it from being on two courses of strong antibiotics for 10 days twice. How did your kid get it?

bnm

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 10:46 am
405 86th St, Brooklyn, NY 11209
(718) 745-2233

call them. you fax in your prescription and insurance info, they have free delivery

amother

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 11:31 am
op here. thx for your replies.
I have no idea how my son got it! he was not on antibiotic for months before upto about 3 weeks ago when he got an ear infection & was treated with omnicef. I don't think that caused it bec he had diahrea for abt 3 wks before. it may have helped out to the situation though..meaning prob made it worse. I think I'm gonna try calling the pharmacy # that bnm has provided (thanks!) & see what happens there. theres noway I can see myself forcing that terrible med down for 10 days! were talking 30x!!!!
btw, my son woke up with fever & I took him to doc t,see what its coming from. he said his throat is beet red, but tested neg for strep. he told me he mustve gotten some kind of virus on top of all , and that's what's causing him to vomit....dunno what to believe anymore. he didn't vomit till I tried giving him meds, so really can't figure out this one. so in the meantime I'm holding off on the flagyl till sunday or so, & well take it from there.

bnm

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 12:10 pm
the pharmacy isn't open on Sunday.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
op here. thx for your replies.
I have no idea how my son got it! he was not on antibiotic for months before upto about 3 weeks ago when he got an ear infection & was treated with omnicef. I don't think that caused it bec he had diahrea for abt 3 wks before. it may have helped out to the situation though..meaning prob made it worse. I think I'm gonna try calling the pharmacy # that bnm has provided (thanks!) & see what happens there. theres noway I can see myself forcing that terrible med down for 10 days! were talking 30x!!!!
btw, my son woke up with fever & I took him to doc t,see what its coming from. he said his throat is beet red, but tested neg for strep. he told me he mustve gotten some kind of virus on top of all , and that's what's causing him to vomit....dunno what to believe anymore. he didn't vomit till I tried giving him meds, so really can't figure out this one. so in the meantime I'm holding off on the flagyl till sunday or so, & well take it from there.

BTW,
Omnicef was one of the meds that caused my kids problems too.

Other amother with c diff kid

yb

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 5:15 pm
In order to get C. Diff, you have to have been on antibiotics in the previous months. It is contagious to others who have been on antibiotics and who have weakened immune systems (why a lot of people get it in the hospital). However, the DOH probably wants to know who your son has been in contact with to prevent and warn others if they are at risk. A chemo patient, a transplant patient, an elderly sick person,etc.
For those who suggested Vanco, it is a last resort because it is a very strong antibiotic and there is nothing stronger for fighting the same types of bacteria. This means, that if someone develops a resistance to Vanco, there is nothing to do to help them treat an infection after that. A lot of people know MRSA, which is methycillin resistance, but the treatment for that is Vanco and people also can become ERV, Vanco resistant. There is nothing to treat with after that. Why would you want to expose your young child to vanco when there is an alternative that can work? The first line of defense is Flagyl in hospitals and out.

yb

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 5:16 pm
*VRE*, not ERV (french, sorry)

amother

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 6:05 pm
op here. the strange part here, is that now over shabbos he didn't have diahrea anymore. he only had one BM, & it was regular.
I'm wondering if its not bec he's toilet trained for 1 week now, & still has ahard time with releasing. maybe that hardened it? (sorry if tmi...) I don't know what to do. anyone had this without diahrea?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics