Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"Pasta Drawer" - Anybody else have? What do you p

rachel6543

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:25 am
My kitchen has four "pasta drawers" or "pasta and bean drawers." (see link for example picture http://dewils.com/plan/accesso.....r.htm). These are drawers that have a glass front and about 1-2 inches where you can put pasta, beans, coffee... etc to decorate the drawer. Sorry, I guess I'm not describing this very well.

The previous owners of my house remodeled the kitchen and put these in. Wish I could take them out, but not an option, so I thought I would ask on here for ideas of what I can put in the drawers to decorate. I don't want to put pasta or any chametz in there because I have to get rid of it for Pesach and it's such a pain to clean out. Right now I've just been putting my toddler's art from preschool, but I would like to put something else in there to decorate, something nicer looking. Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions? I've never seen these in another house before and I just don't have any ideas.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:38 am
rachel6543 wrote:
My kitchen has four "pasta drawers" or "pasta and bean drawers." (see link for example picture http://dewils.com/plan/accesso.....r.htm). These are drawers that have a glass front and about 1-2 inches where you can put pasta, beans, coffee... etc to decorate the drawer. Sorry, I guess I'm not describing this very well.

The previous owners of my house remodeled the kitchen and put these in. Wish I could take them out, but not an option, so I thought I would ask on here for ideas of what I can put in the drawers to decorate. I don't want to put pasta or any chametz in there because I have to get rid of it for Pesach and it's such a pain to clean out. Right now I've just been putting my toddler's art from preschool, but I would like to put something else in there to decorate, something nicer looking. Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions? I've never seen these in another house before and I just don't have any ideas.

Beads?

http://www.beading.com/Everyth......html

But I wouldn't have a clue how many pounds you would need. Or how much the drawer would weigh when filled.

Stained glass window film?

http://www.amazon.com/Artscape.....img_b

Or contact the manufacturer to see if you can order new drawer fronts.

Or maybe call your rabbi. Would placing kitniyot that are not intended for consumption in there be problematic for Pesach? Probably, but I don't know.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:39 am
I just have to say that's weird!! I guess you could do different colored beans, those are kitniot at least. Maybe bulk buy beads and make a pattern or something? I am not the artistic type at all, I would probably just leave my kids' artwork in them Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:44 am
The pix you posted looks like it's filled with shredded confetti.......is that an option?

rachel6543

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 12:47 am
Never would of thought of stained glass window film, what an interesting idea, will check into that.

Don't think my husband would go for the beads.

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:08 am
Boy, that "decorative space" sounds like a dumbo idea to me. One of those things that looks great on a magazine page but is completely impractical IRL. Not to mention a royal waste of both space and food.

I would cover the glass with Contact, either frosted or in a color or pattern that coordinates with the rest of the kitchen, and use the space as a kind of filing cabinet for thin leaflets like owner's manuals for kitchen appliances or envelopes containing clipped coupons, recipes and the like.

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:34 am
I would say glass marbles in whatever colors would coordinate with the rest of the stuff in your kitchen... like the kind you would put in the bottom of an aquarium or in a vase.

Karnash

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:40 am
I would use the stained glass film or frosted glass contact and then use the drawers as a filing system - bills, mail that has to be dealt with, warranties, etc.

sbs

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 8:07 am
what about dried flower petals, or potpourri (not sure if approp for kitchen Smile)

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 8:25 am
I haven't seen that type of drawer in 20++ years. Are they back in style?
I can't think of anything nicer than your preschooler's art work. I would love to have build in display cases for their art projects!

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 1:45 pm
ewa-jo wrote:
I would say glass marbles in whatever colors would coordinate with the rest of the stuff in your kitchen... like the kind you would put in the bottom of an aquarium or in a vase.

I LOVE this idea!!

rachel6543

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:35 am
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update that I finally used the idea on here for the stained glass window film. Last year I did some minor remodeling in the kitchen. I couldn't afford to replace or redo the cabinets/drawers. After the remodeling was done, I finally got some of the stained glass window film from my local Home Depot. the idea of the stained glass window film worked great! It looks so much better than before and was an inexpensive solution.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:41 am
That is so cool that you posted back and updated all these years later!
The film sounds like a great idea BTW.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:43 am
Could you post a picture of it?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:48 am

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 11:57 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Could you post a picture of it?

Go to the houzz website and search "pasta drawer."
Sorry but I couldn't copy and paste the site for some reason.

sushi galore

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 12:33 pm
The drawers are so cute and innovative for the modern kitchen, however I'm just wondering why would someone put this into their kitchen and use it for pasta or beans. Wouldn't it attract bugs or so?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:51 pm
I've seen it filled with candy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen