Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Typing Speed?
1  2  Next

How many words can you type in a minute?
39 & Under.  
 10%  [ 12 ]
40 - 54  
 3%  [ 4 ]
55 - 69  
 25%  [ 28 ]
70 - 84  
 20%  [ 22 ]
85 - 99  
 10%  [ 11 ]
100+  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Don't know.  
 22%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 110

MrsDash

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 6:04 pm
What's an "acceptable" typing speed in the workplace? What's the "ideal" typing speed in a professional office setting? (WPM)

For both those who do not use a computer frequently at work & those who work primarily on the computer, how many words can you type a minute?

Thanks!

Chalomatok

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 6:26 pm
I do a lot of work on the computer, and can type pretty fast (IMO at least)
I just tested myself twice so that I could answer this poll Smile and on the first round got 87 words, the second time 92. I can type in Hebrew as well, tho not as fast.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 6:50 pm
I think I type quickly, but I only got 61 WPM on this test: http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php

I got a 71 on this one: http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/

What kind of range is considered fast?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 6:56 pm
Using TranquilityAndPeace's link I clocked 88 wpm with 1 mistake. That's English. I type Hebrew reasonably well, but much slower.

I think I used to be faster in the pre-computer days (the IBM Selectric typewriter was my favorite).

Computers make it too easy to pause and correct so you slow down.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 7:01 pm
I don't use a computer regularly at work (unemployed right now) but using the first link, I did 80 WPM with 2 mistakes. I think average typing speed is 70 WPM.

ETA: By average typing speed, I mean for a regular computer user. I think this is what employers expect.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 7:07 pm
I use a computer frequently and clocked 83 wpm with one mistake (I fixed several other mistakes while typing.)

chanahlady

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 8:00 pm
I have to type as fast as people talk for my work, but it doesn't have to be completely perfect. I just did the first test posted, and got a 98wpm with 4 mistakes.

I think 70 wpm and up is respectable for an office job.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 10:21 pm
imo it's the keyboard tht slows one down, not fingers.

Fox

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 11:12 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I think I used to be faster in the pre-computer days (the IBM Selectric typewriter was my favorite).

I loved my IBM Selectric! Those were the days! In fact, one of my fondest childhood memories was going to sleep while hearing the clatter of keys as my parents worked in another room.

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:49 am
Using the first link, I typed 80wpm with 1 mistake.

Using the second link, 91 wpm with 1 mistake.

I don't work in an office, in fact I barely type at all in my job, however I used to play a lot of online Boggle which increased my typing speed significantly.

Chloe

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:14 am
I type about 73-94 wpm depending on which link.
I do typing at work.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:04 am
If I'm just typing words I'm around the 80 mark, but if I'm coding I'm much slower.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:06 am
Fox wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

I loved my IBM Selectric! Those were the days! In fact, one of my fondest childhood memories was going to sleep while hearing the clatter of keys as my parents worked in another room.

That's nice!

anonymrs

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:11 am
I just tested myself, I did 78 wpm. I don't type all day for work or anything (except for imamother Smile )

preempservices

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 10:11 am
I personally am not particularly fast - 30's if I practice. but I tell people who are looking for a job that 45 is a base line, and anything faster improves their marketability.
When I administer typing tests, one of the hardest things for people to do is to refrain from correcting mistakes, so subsequent testing should improve scores.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:42 pm
I type fast.
In the second link from TAP I clocked 80 with 4 mistakes (apostrophes etc)
For my current job, a guy calls me and I write down the emails he dictates then I go back after wards and fix them up so I write really fast and then fix my mistakes.
But when people watch me they laugh how my fingers fly across the keyboard.
It is also true that the keyboard can make you faster or slower. I love my mac keyboard (laptop or real keyboard) because the keys are flat and easy to hit imho. Since I am more used to this, when I get to another type of keyboard it takes me a bit longer to warm up.

farm

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 3:36 pm
Hmm. I got in the 70's- 80's on the first one (faster each time I take it) but 146 on the second one. No way I type that fast, but I did find the style of the second website a lot easier. With the first, my brain is reading ahead since the verse actually makes sense, while my fingers are trying to keep up. With the second one, it is just random words so a lot easier to keep my fingers and brain more or less at the same pace.
I learned to touch type in elimentary school, and liked to fool around with Mario Teaches Typing at home (ie wait until Mario is about to get eaten by the dinosaur and then frantically type him far, far away), so I am pretty good. My typing skills are totally not important at work.

crush

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:53 pm
On the first one I got 85 wpm, second I got 87. Weird, I thought I was around 70-ish, but never tested till now.

neverbored

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 4:54 pm
hmmmm.....I got a measly 37. And I thought I wasn't soooo bad Sad

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 5:37 pm
I'm studying to be a court reporter. On a shorthand/stenography machine, I can do 150 words a minute.

Don't know how fast I type on a keyboard, though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics