Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does the MMR cause autism?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:05 pm
Is there still a belief that the MMR shot can cause autism chas vshalom? Can you share your thoughts? thanks so much!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:10 pm
my son got his MMR shot at 13 months. His language continued developing for 6 months. Autism hit him at 19 months. So nope, no discernible connection.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:23 pm
My brother has Aspergers Syndrome which is on the autism spectrum. My mother actually delayed his immunizations, and he had symptoms way before he ever had his first MMR.

For what it's worth.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:38 pm
Short answer: No.

But: We still can't be sure that the recommended vaccination schedule is entirely safe for all children.

MamaBear, ignore me if I'm prying, but what do you mean by "autism hit him"?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 12:48 pm
YES!

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
YES!

And you're hiding behind amother because your thorough research on this subject has been published already and you don't want to out your screenname?

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:08 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.....versy
The author of the paper making the connection did some unethical things.
That said, a good friend of mine whose son has Autism felt that some vaccines may have triggered it. This was prior to the "study". However she does not believe the vaccine caused it.Shefeels tha a child has to have a predisposition to Autism in order for something to trigger it.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:11 pm
seeker wrote:
amother wrote:
YES!

And you're hiding behind amother because your thorough research on this subject has been published already and you don't want to out your screenname?

Amother was good enough for OP so it was good enough for me. Why don't you ask her why she is hiding? She asked a question I answered it. Back off.

spring13

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:17 pm
Lancet retracted the article that claimed there was a link. That's a really big deal. Seriously, put your worries to rest on this one.

I'm not really opposed to delayed or spaced out vaccines, but the autism thing is a really stupid reason at this point to do so.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
seeker wrote:
amother wrote:
YES!

Amother was good enough for OP so it was good enough for me. Why don't you ask her why she is hiding? She asked a question I answered it. Back off.

YOU didn't really answer though. You want to give a blanket answer without anything backing you up, and be anonymous? Don't expect any credence.

Besides, there have been many studies, not done anonymously I might add, who have disproven you so many times and in so many ways, it's hard to count. So you back off.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
seeker wrote:
amother wrote:
YES!

everyone else who answered the questin actually took the time to give an answer. there is no reason to be anonymous if all you are going to say is yes. perhaps now you would l ike to answer the unwritten question that everyone else answered- why do you feel this way?

ChaniH

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:41 pm
This rumor has been going around for a really long time, it makes me wonder......

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:47 pm
ChaniH wrote:
This rumor has been going around for a really long time, it makes me wonder......

It was exactly that - a rumor. The scientist who perpetrated it was already discredited and disproven. It was a scam.

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:58 pm
As emesornt and others have said, this has been definitively disproven to the satisfaction of any number of medical organizations. Ask your pediatrician.

HealthCoach

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:00 pm
I believe that it caused autism for some people. They have some sort of predisposition to something. It's not obvious though, so what difference does it make? Not every child that is autistic is autistic because of the MMR. Perhaps the majority aren't. I like to delay the MMR. I would actually prefer to divide into single immunizations but I believe the mumps one is no longer available so it's impossible. The measles component can cause autism and the mumps component can cause juvenile diabetes. The discredited scientist was not the only one that did research. The question becomes, if you have an immoral person trying to prove a point, does that make the point incorrect.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:03 pm
Yup, faulty science. But there are personality types who like conspiracy theories...

punchike

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:04 pm
Amother 1:08,

how would one know if someone is chas vshaom predisposed to it?

punchike

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:06 pm
mitzva girrafe, for how ong do you delay it? can you explain why. thanks.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:09 pm
Mitzvah Giraffe wrote:
I believe that it caused autism for some people. They have some sort of predisposition to something. It's not obvious though, so what difference does it make? Not every child that is autistic is autistic because of the MMR. Perhaps the majority aren't. I like to delay the MMR. I would actually prefer to divide into single immunizations but I believe the mumps one is no longer available so it's impossible. The measles component can cause autism and the mumps component can cause juvenile diabetes. The discredited scientist was not the only one that did research. The question becomes, if you have an immoral person trying to prove a point, does that make the point incorrect.

If a child had a "predisposition" for autism, the vaccine had nothing to do with it. Wheres your source for saying that the measles and mumps vaccines cause autism and diabetes? And he wasn't just immoral - he was LYING!!!

yb

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:12 pm
Mitzvah Giraffe wrote:

Thank you for reminding me why I don't usually read threads about this topic. If YOU believe it caused autism, it MUST be true. Forget science. Mitzvah Giraffe said so.
Public Health Agency of Canada wrote:
Does thimerosal cause autism or other neurodevelopmental disorders?

No. The best available science to date has shown that there is no link between vaccines containing thimerosal and autism or other behaviour disorders.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) has reviewed the safety of thimerosal and concluded that the alleged adverse health effect from thimerosal in vaccines has never been substantiated.

International bodies, such as the World Health Organization (WHO), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (U.S. FDA) and the Institute of Medicine in the U.S., share this opinion.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics