Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long to eat leftover cholent for?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 3:50 pm
I made an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing cholent last week for Shabbos. Unfortunately, we won't be having it for a while since dh absolutely hated it lol. Basically, we still have some left in the fridge from Shabbos and tomorrow is Friday. Would you serve it for lunch? The fridge is on the colder side, by the way...

StrongIma

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 3:57 pm
I dunno - I served mine today for lunch - and we all seem fine Very Happy

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 2:22 am
bump

esther11

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 3:40 pm
Bump
How long does leftover cholent last in the fridge?

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 5:09 pm
IMNSVHO, at least a week.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 5:16 pm
I dont know how long it could last but I dont even serve it on sunday but if its worth saving We try to eat it asap, monday the latest if meat Is leftover. Its heated all friday night I dont want to risk heartburn

esther11

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 6:38 pm
We recently discovered that my picky eater dd loves leftover cholent so I'm hoping my we can take advantage of this!
Thanks for the replies

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:59 pm
I know ppl that eat their leftover chulent on thurs night for supper.

mamallama

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 9:53 pm
My cutoff is Tues night. My toddler eats it for dinner about 2 nights a week Smile

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 10:44 pm
I think we've done a week later with no apparent consequences. We have frozen cholent as well and reheated it for subsequent shabbosos. (We dont reheat frozen cholent as leftovers tho)

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:33 am
The official position of the food safety industry is that leftovers should be consumed within 2-3 days, and that's what I would tell people if asked. At the same time, if threatened with a knife, I will admit to serving and eating leftover cholent a week and a half to two weeks after it was made. It does have to be heated to boiling for several minutes to kill any germs and yes, I'm quite aware that the boiling may destroy some but not necessarily all toxins the germs may have produced.

chani8

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 12:51 pm
My family got food poisoning from eating leftover cholent. Took me years to recover from it. Now, we dont eat cholent anymore, and most of us wont touch leftovers either.

If you decide to eat leftovers within the 2-3 days as Zaq mentioned, one must boil the food for 10 minutes to kill bacteria. All leftovers have bacteria. The question is, how much bacteria.

Safety first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen