Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Preparing potato latke batter ahead of time?

sheindl

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 8:31 am
How would I do this and make sure it doesn't turn brown? I would like to prepare the batter up to a day in advance, and then fry them fresh.

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 12:00 pm
I dont think its possible, but will keep an eye on this thread to see if s/o has a solution.

lollygirl

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 12:27 pm
I don't recommend this. The batter will separate leaving you with liquid at the bottom and very brown potatoes.

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 12:28 pm
I was wondering about this, too, hoping I could make and freeze batter or something. Oh well.

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 12:35 pm
The only time saving thing I can think of is to shred the onions and potatoes. Put in a bowl of water in the fridge. Then when you want to make latkes, drain very well and mix with the rest of your batter ingredients.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 2:57 pm
what about making them ahead of time and reheating a couple of days later? Would that make them taste bad?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 3:46 pm
What about making the batter and then freezing patties raw? Then you can fry them fresh?

I've never done it though.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 8:39 pm
I once did it for potato kugel. I mixed the whole batter and put it in the fridge covered. The next morning I removed the top layer that was brown and used the rest which was perfect. Just give it a mix once you take off the top layer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics