Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Trader Joes - Kosher Frozen Brussel Sprouts! Cheap!
Previous  1  2

DovDov

Post Mon, Dec 26 2011, 1:35 am
Mimisinger wrote:
How does it make any sense that you can't possibly check a vegetable when fresh but you can when frozen? Especially something like brussel sprouts that are all closed up.

Also, re. a previous poster. You don't just check cabbage by taking off the outer few layers, you also have to cut it into quarters and check the quarters for infestation. Otherwise, you have to check each individual leaf up to a light.

IIRC, it's not that they're easier to CHECK frozen, it's that frozen can be certified insect free based on other things -- testing a sample of the produce and finding no insects, for example.

Some products are also better frozen because any bugs are less likely to be whole after the freezing process and parts of insects are not an issue.

jelly belly

Post Mon, Dec 26 2011, 9:21 am
DovDov wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:
How does it make any sense that you can't possibly check a vegetable when fresh but you can when frozen? Especially something like brussel sprouts that are all closed up.

Also, re. a previous poster. You don't just check cabbage by taking off the outer few layers, you also have to cut it into quarters and check the quarters for infestation. Otherwise, you have to check each individual leaf up to a light.

IIRC, it's not that they're easier to CHECK frozen, it's that frozen can be certified insect free based on other things -- testing a sample of the produce and finding no insects, for example.

Some products are also better frozen because any bugs are less likely to be whole after the freezing process and parts of insects are not an issue.

I don't know the halacha behind it, but I do know that there are differences depending on the state of the fruit/veg. For example, raspberries. According to CRC, fresh are not recommended at all, any frozen is ok, and canned requires a reliable hashgacha. It is complicated, because each kind of produce has different recommendations. That's why I love my crc app Smile

medola

Post Mon, Dec 26 2011, 9:42 am
Oh cool, there's a CRC app? Gotta get on that!

I remember the StarK holding that with raspberries, fresh CAN be used - they just have to be checked a certain way, involving washing and blowing into the center of a sampling of berries to see if bugs come out...

We called our local rabbi of the kollel here regarding the brussel sprouts with hechsher. He said "a hechsher is a hechsher." So if there is a reputable kosher symbol, it's ok to go ahead and cook it up.
-- I also sent a message to the 1Kosher hechsher people themselves in Brussels regarding their bug checking, but have not heard back yet. I'll keep you posted.

naomi2

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 7:51 pm
I know that this is an old thread but it came up in a search for me and others can still view it. after reading the posts I decided to ask crc myself, if the hechsher covers the bug issue, and this is the response I got today:

Good morning
The 1 K is recommended on a product by product basis. Frozen vegetables that require checking for insects are not recommended. Brussel Sprouts fall under that category and are not recommended.

Have a nice day.

Rabbi Dovid Aronin
Chicago Rabbinical Council

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 1:59 am
naomi2 wrote:
I know that this is an old thread but it came up in a search for me and others can still view it. after reading the posts I decided to ask crc myself, if the hechsher covers the bug issue, and this is the response I got today:

Good morning
The 1 K is recommended on a product by product basis. Frozen vegetables that require checking for insects are not recommended. Brussel Sprouts fall under that category and are not recommended.

Have a nice day.

Rabbi Dovid Aronin
Chicago Rabbinical Council

Sad
I didn't realize it was an old post and was just about to tell DH to pick some up on his way home tomorrow.
Glad I read until the end.
Sad

Mide7

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 9:37 pm
this particular brussel sprouts needs to say "checked for bugs" and these packages do not.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen