Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jewish Cooking Magazines

How often would you make a recipe from a magazine?
for Y"T or special occasions only  
 27%  [ 3 ]
weekly  
 18%  [ 2 ]
once a month  
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 8:31 pm
So I've been seeing a lot of new food mags on the market. I know there's Betayavon, Bits and Bites and Joy of Kosher. Am I missing anything?

In addition, each of the mags have big emphasis on recipes-- there's Kosher Inspired from Mishpacha, Relish from Binah, Whisk from Ami.

Got shmoozing with some neighbors and there are some who literally make something new every week based on magazine recipes but some never have time or patience to try something new.

Which are you [see poll]

Also, which food magazine do you enjoy MOST and why [ please no worsts cuz I don't want L"H]

Disclaimer: I work for Binah but this is a post out of personal curiosity-- got talking with my neighbors on Shabbos and I was amazed at how we each like different food sections based on our cooking styles-- there's really room for 'em all.

ETA: It won't let me add a fourth option to the poll 'never! I use cookbooks or family recipes only'

September June

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 9:30 pm
I personally like Whisk best. It comes out weekly and features at least two different columnists a week. I have found that I almost always clip at least one recipe from each Whisk.

There's also a lot of new Kosher recipe websites, Joyofkosher, Cookkosher, culinarykosher and now Kosher Inspired just started a website called Kosherscoop.com.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 9:33 pm
I always have a stack of recipes from magazines to try. Is that odd ?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 9:35 pm
As was mentioned, there's so much good stuff online (though Joy of Kosher is slooooow) that I'm not tempted to buy any magazines just for the recipes.

That said, major shout out to last week's Ami - I've made 2 out of the three doughnut recipes and they were great!

As for davka making a recipe from a magazine: I'm subscribed to Mishpacha. A few weeks ago there was a spread on trifles, including a three layer one with kiwis, strawberries, and pineapple. And I thought, huh? Yeah, I'll find and buy 15 reasonably priced good quality kiwis in winter, etc. Curious as I was to see if it froze well, I knew, this wasn't gonna happen. Well, the next week I went to a produce store that's a way out and they had beautiful kiwis. And I had a bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer, reduced due to negligible damage. And I'd had pineapple in the pantry. So it's been sitting in my freezer for a week, ready for this Shabbos.

So I am NOT someone who's a good source for this kind of question.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Dec 22 2011, 9:42 pm
I don't really get any of the Jewish publications and therefore don't really make any of the recipes but my sil does and if there is something good she tells me or if I see it at my mil I take the recipe.
I voted yom tov thats when I get excited for new ideas Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room