Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Librarys in or near Brooklyn

leah66

Post Mon, Dec 26 2011, 6:58 pm
Besides for BPL, what else is available?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 7:29 am
do you mean private jewish libraries ?

leah66

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 8:28 am
No, I mean public libraries.

Brooklyn Public has a good, but not great selection of books.

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 8:39 am
huh? brooklyn public library refers to the network of all public libraries in brooklyn.

http://www.brooklynpubliclibra.....tions

if you want something *near* brooklyn, try the NYPL, which includes libraries in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, or the QPL.

leah66

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 9:02 am
By public library I meant a library for public use with a large selection of books, as opposed to a small community library.

I was thinking that maybe some colleges here have a library that non-students can use.

NYPL has a great selection, but the closest branch is 2 subway rides away from where I live.

leah66

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 12:20 am
Bumping this as a last attempt Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 7:10 am
I don't see how a college is going to let a non student borrow books. Or did you want to do research only ?

goodmorning

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 10:01 am
I'm sure that you know this, but the BPL is a network of libraries as opposed to a single library. The selection, size and scope varies by which location you visit. I've been in NYPL branches that have a much smaller selection than some BPL branches.

(Also, what do you mean by "selection" - what type of books are you looking for? Some branches have more children's than others, some have more non-fiction, some have more media, some have more Judaic ... if you're a bit more specific about your location and what you're looking for, maybe someone would know of a BPL branch that's a good match.)

Maya

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 10:27 am
Also, if you are looking for a specific title that your library doesn't have but others in the BPL system do, you can reserve it and they bring it in for you to your library. Did you know that?

jelly belly

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 11:10 am
You can also request an interlibrary loan if, for example, NYPL has a book that BPL doesn't have, and you want it. I believe there is a small fee for that service.

kb

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 11:16 am
I never saw a shortage of books in a regular BPL, but different branches are bigger than other. And if you're really desperate for a LOT of books, visit the Central branch near Prospect Park. (It's like Macy's Herald Square - so much stuff to look at that you'll never get through all of it!)

STovah

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 12:43 pm
jelly belly wrote:
You can also request an interlibrary loan if, for example, NYPL has a book that BPL doesn't have, and you want it. I believe there is a small fee for that service.

There's no fee for interlibrary loans. My husband requests interlibrary loans all the time. You just have to be careful with the book cover/receipt that comes with the book and you often cannot renew them.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 1:48 pm
If you feel that your local BPL doesn't have a large selection of books, go online to brooklynpubliclibrary.org and reserve some books you want to your branch.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 2:13 pm
I like the Kings Highway BPL branch, on Kings Highway/Avenue P and Ocean Avenue. They've got a good-sized children's department on the second floor (with board books, picture books, chapter books, videos, and computer areas for toddlers and grade-school kids), and I always request books to be sent from other BPL branches to mine. It's really easy, and their catalog is immense.

The BPL in Marine Park (on Flatbush or Flatlands, don't remember) is pathetic though. It's not really big enough to just go there and browse for fun -- there's not much space (and much of it is devoted to Russian-language books, I've found), so it's better to request books and just pick them up to take home.

Never been the BPL near Touro on Avenue J - their hours are weird.

leah66

Post Fri, Dec 30 2011, 2:18 pm
I'm looking for a specific book which they wouldn't carry at my local Jewish library.

I couldn't find it on BPL's online catalog, but found it on NYPL's.

I'm going to request an inter-library loan, which I did not know about before.

Thank you all for taking time to answer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries