Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Pareve videos for kids

ice coffee

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 7:02 am
Any ideas on videos for my kids? Can't have anything remotely untzanua(ie:boy and girl slightly flirting...) or scary(nemo is too scary because of the beginnig scene.) I've shown them the old charlie and the choc. which was pretty pareve. mary poppins won't work with my son.
TIA

kb

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 8:17 am
How old are they?

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 8:36 am
relax wrote:
Any ideas on videos for my kids? Can't have anything remotely untzanua(ie:boy and girl slightly flirting...) or scary(nemo is too scary because of the beginnig scene.) I've shown them the old charlie and the choc. which was pretty pareve. mary poppins won't work with my son.
TIA

shock

Gene Wilder's Wonka was in one of the most traumatic scenes in all children's movies... how can this acid-trip of a scene NOT give you nightmares??

This movie in general just creeps me out. In comparison to your other example, Nemo seems much gentler.

How old is your son? Winne the Pooh, or really any of the Playhouse Disney (Bear in the Big Blue House, etc., NOT Suite Life or Wizards of Waverly Place, which cross waay too many lines) or PBS kiddie shows (Clifford, Calliou, Sesame Street, etc.) have no violence or romance, but may be too "babyish".

french fries

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 8:41 am
My kids love Magic School Bus videos.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 8:51 am
french fries wrote:
My kids love Magic School Bus videos.

Nope, inappropriate. Wink

Phoebe has a puppy-love crush on Arnold in the dinosaur episode, Arnold gets caught in the girls' bathroom in the water cycle episode, Ms. Frizzle has far too many male suitors (Mr. Seedplot from Phoebe's old school, her mechanic, her electrician...)...

It's scary that I can remember all that off the top of my head. I LOVE these! When my three year old brother (and huge fan of MSB) drinks from a straw and compares it to a bee's proboscis, you know they're doing something right. Very Happy

MGmom

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 9:37 am
3 yo loves bernstein bears. Really clean and sometimes even educational.

STovah

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 9:39 am
What about the Planet Earth series?

sandwich

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 9:50 am
what about bob the builder?
curious george?

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 11:22 am
For very little kids, Richard Scarry's videos are cute. For older kids, The Little Princess and The Secret Garden are good and clean.

And BTW, I LOVE the first Willy Wonka video. The tunnel is scary kind of in the same way that a roller coaster is scary. It's not shooting or violence or anything like that. It's just a speedy boat ride in a dark tunnel with a couple of gross pictures flashing along the way.

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 11:25 am
berenstien bears, did you notice how Papa bear is always the klutz?

Caillou, not sure if its spelled right
care bears
leapfrog learning episodes
cat in the hat

sweet

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 11:51 am
Barney
Dora the explorer.

ice coffee

Post Thu, Dec 29 2011, 12:39 pm
thanks for the replies. I did have a problem with the freaky scene in charley, that's true. My son is 10 but has hardly seen anything so he'd probably actually enjoy berenstein bears and science planet. What about wizard of oz? Is that too scary?

pgk

Post Sat, Dec 31 2011, 6:26 pm
Sid the Science Kid
Franklin
though at 10 your son would probably find them boring

leomom

Post Sat, Dec 31 2011, 6:49 pm
Bob the Builder has a bunch of romance, including a peck on the lips - sounds like that would bother you.

Sid the Science Kid is very cute and educational but the parents do give quick kisses. Also, it has a bit of "attitude" in how the kids speak and dress. You need to check it out for yourself and see if you're comfortable with it.

I've found Berenstain Bears to be full of good values. When there's some "love" it's between the parents - they hug.

A 10-year-old boy would probably enjoy the old Mr. Wizard science videos.

My kids enjoy the Animated Heroes series - 30-minute animated biographies of people like Helen Keller, George Washington, etc. The Benjamin Franklin video has a bit of romance (and untzniusly dressed women - think decolletage Smile).

I checked out the Popular Mechanics for Kids series and was disappointed that there was so much flirting between the boy and girl co-hosts. It could have been so good - the boy-girl stuff ruins it.

Some of the Bill Nye the Science Guy videos are fine; others have some innuendo and/or untzniusness. Again, frustrating, because there's a lot that I like about them otherwise.

If I think of more ideas, I'll post again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics