Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Six million Jews that were killed in the Holocaust
1  2  Next

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 6:13 am
On the one hand it has been repeatedly said that 12 million people were murdered in the Nazi death camps. (I am not sure if even that covers it all since many people were exterminated in pits and forests and so on, and not just in death camps.) But then people say, oh, half of them were Jewish. The others were Slavs, Gypsies, homosexuals and political prisoners. I have also heard that some Israelis have said it was really basically 12 million Jews that died.

What I want to know is, where is this coming from that 6 million non-Jews were killed in the death camps? How can it really be that exactly the same number of non-Jews as Jews were killed in the death camps when all historical evidence shows that the Nazis were absolutely obsessed with Jews and killing Jews and hating Jews above all others.

I read this somewhere and wonder what you guys have to say about this.

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:15 am
supermom wrote:
On the one hand it has been repeatedly said that 12 million people were murdered in the Nazi death camps.

repeatedly said by whom?
I would like to see a quote from a history book or from someone reputable.

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:19 am
like I said I read it somewhere and it had no sources so I was wondering what you guys had to say about.

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:36 am
http://www.aish.com/literacy/j.....n.asp

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:37 am
this one says six million died but something like the same amount also died with the non jews

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 10:04 am
I never heard 12 million. I thought it was closer to 8 million.

supermom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:40 am
you see already there is a debate on really how many jews actually died now I am stumped how many really died from the jews. Rolling Eyes hopefully not 12 or 8 million!!

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 2:06 pm
I meant I never heard the number 12 million as a number of those who died in the holocaust including non-Jews. 6 million Jews is pretty standard, but ive heard its probably off by a million.
something ive heard: "not all victims were Jews, but all Jews were victims."

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 4:39 pm
supermom wrote:
it has been repeatedly said that 12 million people were murdered in the Nazi death camps

RG wrote:
never heard the number 12 million as a number of those who died in the holocaust including non-Jews

I think there are a few statements that are getting confused.

are we talking about how many people died in death camps or how many died in the Holocaust?

speaking for myself, I can't say I heard that 6 million Jews died in death camps, but that 6 million Jews during the war. Some were killed in death camps, others were shot in ghettos, others died of starvation, etc.

Leagal Eagal

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 8:21 pm
If you contact the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. or the Yad V'shem Institute in Israel, I am sure they will be able to clear things up for you and provide documentation too. If you decide to follow up, please let us know.

IndyMom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 9:36 pm
Interesting that this topic came up today. Just yesterday I was talking to a polish student in my calculus class. We were discussing the holocaust and he was telling me a little bit about the his grandparents hardships. He told me his great grandfather was rounded up on one of the nazi's random house raids and shot. I actually had no idea that the Poles were tormented just like the jews. My classmate told me he has interviewed a lot of people in his grandparents old age home in poland about the holocaust. He seemed ot have a lot of knowledge from anotehr perspective. I don't know the answer the to theoriginal question. sorry.

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Apr 07 2005, 11:09 pm
we always hear about 6 million jews obviously since that concerns us but in fact they killed alot of other groups of people- starting with mentally ill and disabled or old, homosexuals, gypsies, and anyone else who didn't fit into their elitist profile and people they considered traitors. That's only amongst themselves. Then there were war casualties in all the countries they invaded which was quite a few and of course their favorite - the Jews. We were the biggest percentage and also the biggest percentage killed in concentration camps. After the 'Final Solution' it became their mission, more important than the war they were fighting.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 12:18 pm
Hmm.... this is an interesting topic. cause I think that what I have read that the amount of polish jews was approx 3 million.

Also even though they killed other groups, jews were treated the bottom worst out of all of them.

I took an engineering ethics class in college. Very interesting.. how the death camps were designed for maximum efficiancy killings. One thing that was mentioned was that the first people to be killed in the gas chambers were poles.

Something else during the war the jews were just jews. not polish jews or german jews...just jews...why is it that the rest of the world just sees us as just jews but we(not all but many jews) try to think of ourselves american or any other country.

IndyMom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2005, 6:19 pm
Living in Indiana I think I get more of a feel of we are "just jews" not americans. This place is so apple pie all american and they look at us walking to shul on shabbos or dressing our boys with peyos and yarmulkes as totally strange. When I lived in NY it was a different kind of feeling. People there may not like jews - but the practices aren't as odd and foriegn to them.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 11:33 am
ShaynaRochel wrote:
One thing that was mentioned was that the first people to be killed in the gas chambers were poles.

perhaps they were Polish JEWS

many countries have tried covering up the fact that it was JEWS who were the target of the Final Solution. Monuments have been put up, memorializing the number of dead in the war, without specifiying that those numbers were mostly or exclusively JEWS.

wasn't it at Baba Yar that the monument gave no indication that it was JEWS who were murdered there in the tens of thousands?

supermom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 1:51 pm
what is baba yar?

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 10 2005, 4:01 pm
During World war II, Ukrainian Jews were executed by the thousands in western villages and cities. The worst slaughter in Kiev occurred at the Baba Yar, meaning the Ravine of Women, named so after the women who would visit soldiers stationed at this former lonely outpost.

In 1943, 32,000 Jews were taken here by Nazi soldiers, and shot down in the course of 10 days and pushed by a bulldozer into the shallow ravine. The number of people killed there equals approximately one-third of the entire Jewish community of Kiev today.

The ravine was not in the forest, miles outside Kiev, but part of the city where the victims lived. They were herded along familiar residential streets en route to their death.

supermom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 6:31 am
Exploding anger ooh those nazi's should BURN!! the more I hear and learn about the holocaust the more mader I get at those nazi's

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 12:08 pm
and the horror continues with the children of survivors and their children

some survivors made a new life for themselves and raised wonderful families, while others, raised a traumatized next generation

supermom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2005, 2:13 pm
my mother in laws mother is a survivor oooh what stories did she tell they are horrifying!! yes she is still alive but her husband isn't. she is the weaker one and he was the stronger one phyiscally not mentally funny that she out lived him by already twenty five years
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics