Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hard and Soft Cheese

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 1:52 pm
Are Muenster and Mozarella cheese "hard" cheeses? Are those what people wait 6 hours for?

jewgal84

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 1:55 pm
GR wrote:
Are Muenster and Mozarella cheese "hard" cheeses? Are those what people wait 6 hours for?

I think everyone has their opinion on it and follow what their Rabbi's suggest and pasken. Some Rabbi's are stricter than others...

My family holds it of being considered "hard" cheese and wait the 6 hours, while my in-laws don't!

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:05 pm
oh. shock
I thought either it was or it wasn't not that it was debatable.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:18 pm
either the cheese has been aged a certain amount of time, like 6 months to be considered hard,

or if it has animal derived rennet, then it is 6 hour cheese. True rennet comes from the lining of an animal's stomach (kosher one that is) but does not pose a question of "basar b'chalav", the same way that milk also issues from within the animal, and is dairy. But the sharpness of the rennet causes the digestive period to be six hours, the same as with meat, from whence the rennet is taken.

If the enzymes, or rennet is of vegetable origin, then one doesn't have to wait 6 hours.

Rabbi Dworkin, one of the previous Rabonim in our community was strict about waiting for ANY hard cheese, so as not to differentiate, because out of ignorance some people would make mistakes

The cheese with the CH hechsher is ALWAYS made with rennet of vegetable origin, so for those within our community who always stick to this hechsher, there is no issue of differentiation, and our Rabbonim do permit to eat after one hour(the designated waiting period from dairy to meat) provided of course that it's not 6 hour cheese.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:19 pm
I think it depends how long the cheese has been aged for, 6 months I think, eg mature chedder, swiss cheese (emmental) and parmesan are definately hard since you can't eat those until they have been aged for a few months - I think at least 6. The difference between regualr chedder and mature is that mature has been left for longer.

Other hard cheeses I have heard that some people say you should wait 6 hours.

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:33 pm
Quote:
Rabbi Dworkin, one of the previous Rabonim in our community was strict about waiting for ANY hard cheese, so as not to differentiate, because out of ignorance some people would make mistakes

I think that's why I grew up waiting 6 hours for all cheeses even American.

Quote:
The cheese with the CH hechsher is ALWAYS made with rennet of vegetable origin, so for those within our community who always stick to this hechsher, there is no issue of differentiation, and our Rabbonim do permit to eat after one hour(the designated waiting period from dairy to meat) provided of course that it's not 6 hour cheese.

you mean that if it's Ahava cheese with CHK hechsher, it's definitely not a 6 hour cheese?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:42 pm
Yes, GR, Ahava only uses vegetable rennets and enzymes.

I still wait for 6 hours after "one hour" cheese personally, simply because it was something I had taken upon myself, and now might need hatoras nedorim to change. But my family doesn't wait.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:44 pm
Thank you, SaraYehudis!!! Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:48 pm
I attended a shiur Tuesday night about that!

The rabbi said that perhaps cheese was produced differently in the Rov's days. These days, it's not nec. to wait the 6 hours.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 2:55 pm
You mean you wait 6 hours because of the animal rennet, not because it is hard to digest cheese? shock I din't know that. I'm all confused.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 3:04 pm
it's basically the same thing. The reason we wait for 6 hours after meat is because that's how long it takes to digest it. meat being a heavier, stronger, food.

The rennet of animal origin has retained the sharp quality of the stomach lining, and therefore will cause the digestive time to be similar to that of meat. The same would apply to aged cheeses, which have a sharp, pungent quality, and take more time to digest, according to the halacha.

mumof1

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:46 am
I was told that these days we do not have to wait 6 hours are cheeses are made differently.
except for some cheeses produced in europe ie, bleu cheese etc.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:13 am
I read/heard somewhere (maybe it was a Tenuva publication) that you should wait one hour for every month that the cheese has been matured.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 5:45 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
Yes, GR, Ahava only uses vegetable rennets and enzymes.

I still wait for 6 hours after "one hour" cheese personally, simply because it was something I had taken upon myself, and now might need hatoras nedorim to change. But my family doesn't wait.

Rabbi Hendel of Montreal still says to wait the 6hrs after eating the hard cheeses, Ahava included.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 5:54 pm
Did he say why? (and why anon?)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 8:20 pm
Boy, am I glad that I asked someone in the Kashrus field.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 8:49 pm
Does anyone on this board eat blue cheese? I love it!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 8:54 pm
LubCoralSpring, I only eat lowfat cheese.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen