Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear to very yeshivish NY area chasunah
1  2  3  4  Next

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:28 pm
In a few weeks I will be attending a NY area chasunah (semi-family) in very yeshivish circles where I am (because of my relationship) likely to be seated with the rebetzins of some of the most right-wing black hat yeshivos in the US.

I consider my self yeshivh (but OOT, yet big city yeshivish). Most my current chasunah clothes are just much too trendy to wear to this chasunah even though they are 100% tzniusdik by any standard.

I need some examples of what to wear that would be considered 100% acceptable in this situation, but without looking dowdy -- or like one of these rebitzens Smile

I am in my upper 50's, 5'3" and a size 14.

Please help!

TIA

Depressed

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:34 pm
Wear whatever is most flattering to you, say MAZAL TOV... And say loudly but sweetly I am not intimidated by any of you turkeys....

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:36 pm
I am not intimidated by them, and will only wear something flattering, but I would not be comfortable wearing any of the things I own that are dressy enough.

kb

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:38 pm
Something black. Very Happy

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:45 pm
kb wrote:
Something black. Very Happy

Pretty likely, but I'd really like some ideas.

red sea

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 4:53 pm
A black suit.

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:00 pm
black black and black

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:02 pm
red sea wrote:
A black suit.

I'd prefer to avoid a suit as they really aren't worn here much anymore.

kb

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:02 pm
Distant relative? Wear a nice shabbos outfit. (Are you really a Bubby? I'm assuming you are, but even then, I'm assuming you're not SUCH a Bubby - you know how to use a computer, after all...) A suit would be a good idea. As long as it's black and a suit, no one will notice it. And if you wear a nice piece of jewelry, no one will even notice what your black outfit will look like. If it's a New York wedding, wear pearls. Or diamonds. No knits.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:03 pm
IloveHashem613 wrote:
black black and black

Yeah okay, but style?

kb

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:09 pm
So then a simple, straight, black skirt and a nice sweater. (I know I said no knits, but I meant one of those sweater like shirts and skirts). If you're out of town, make it a very, very nice sweater. Nice oot sweaters are weekday clothing in New York.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:14 pm
I think really anything you'd wear at home. I was just at a very yeshivish Chasuana, and I was surprised at the colors and patterns.
I think you usually dress well (where is the smirk cuz you don't know who I am Smile) and anything a bit tamer will be very nice.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:14 pm
kb wrote:
Distant relative? Wear a nice shabbos outfit. (Are you really a Bubby? I'm assuming you are, but even then, I'm assuming you're not SUCH a Bubby - you know how to use a computer, after all...) A suit would be a good idea. As long as it's black and a suit, no one will notice it. And if you wear a nice piece of jewelry, no one will even notice what your black outfit will look like. If it's a New York wedding, wear pearls. Or diamonds. No knits.

It is close enough and a fancy enough wedding that a Shabbos outfit certainly won't do. Yes, I am really a Bubby (more than 40 times over) and I am a computer professional too.

Suits are totally not worn any more in my circles (other than maybe by the rebetzins). A black outfit would be okay if dressy enough-- what I'd like are some examples of something. And yes, the jewelry will be there -- diamonds or pearls (and the real stuff).

Wouldn't even consider a knit.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:15 pm
kb wrote:
So then a simple, straight, black skirt and a nice sweater. (I know I said no knits, but I meant one of those sweater like shirts and skirts). If you're out of town, make it a very, very nice sweater. Nice oot sweaters are weekday clothing in New York.

Not nearly dressy enough. This for a NY area wedding. Even in my OOT city I wouldn't think of wearing a sweater to a chasunah, even to one I'm not related to.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:15 pm
Hmm. Can you give an example of something you usually wear to chasunahs, so that we have something to work with? If I know what you usually wear and what you consider too trendy, maybe I can come up with some ideas. Cuz what I consider classic, you may consider trendy, and vice versa. For example, would you wear a top with sequins or are you afraid that it would be too trendy? Cuz I think a nice black skirt and nice sequined top with a belt could work.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:
I think really anything you'd wear at home. I was just at a very yeshivish Chasuana, and I was surprised at the colors and patterns.
I think you usually dress well (where is the smirk cuz you don't know who I am Smile) and anything a bit tamer will be very nice.

Thanks for the compliment (smirk). What I wear at home lately is just too trendy for this situation, particularly considering who I will likely be seated with. I need something somewhat more conservative.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:19 pm
gold21 wrote:
Hmm. Can you give an example of something you usually wear to chasunahs, so that we have something to work with? If I know what you usually wear and what you consider too trendy, maybe I can come up with some ideas. Cuz what I consider classic, you may consider trendy, and vice versa. For example, would you wear a top with sequins or are you afraid that it would be too trendy? Cuz I think a nice black skirt and nice sequined top with a belt could work.

Lately I've been wearing either jumper/dresses with shells underneath or a satiny like flouncy sleeveless vest (over a LS shell) with a skirt.

While sequiny might be okay, it would depend on the look, but I don't think the belt look would go (at least as I envision it and what I wear -- a wide belt).

turca

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:19 pm
Black jumper or dress. Im sure u have such a thing. Nice piece of jewelry. Black and pearls is a classic. I think the only place in the world that a suit is out of style is in jewish comunities around north america,my mother cant understand how a ' tailleur' could be out of style. A classic black suit is a timeless style.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:22 pm
turca wrote:
Black jumper or dress. Im sure u have such a thing. Nice piece of jewelry. Black and pearls is a classic. I think the only place in the world that a suit is out of style is in jewish comunities around north america,my mother cant understand how a ' tailleur' could be out of style. A classic black suit is a timeless style.

That would work. The only black jumper/dress I own isn't dressy enough. I am going shopping tomorrow, but if anyone has a link to such an idea, it would be helpful.

abby1776

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 5:53 pm
I must be terribly out of fashion, because I have been wearing black suits to NY Yeshivish weddings for years.
Oh well.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics