Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ECZEMA HELP!!!!! (PLEASE?? :) )
1  2  Next

allergypro

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:11 pm
My daughter has a terrible eczema rash on the back of her feet. I tokk her to an allergist who tested her, and found no allergies. He said to try a skin dr. Anyone know of a dermatologist who takes americhoice? I need to take her, like yesterday! Thanks a ton!

Pineapple

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:35 pm
Don't know a doc but try to stay away from eczema triggers - gluten, dairy eggplant (I'm sure there's more)

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:44 pm
My kids had bad eczema when they were younger and I never went to a dermatologist for that. Their pediatrician gave me prescription cream for it.
Can you get prescription cream from your pediatrician?

tikva18

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 7:52 pm
By removing 100% of dairy from my ds; diet, we cleared all eczema in a week. Also stopped his recurring ear infections.
another trigger not already mentioned could be corn.
I'm assuming you haven't changed your laundry detergent or soaps recently.

And, btw, some allergists will disregard the fact that eczema patients do not always test well for skin testing - as in it could come back negative and really be positive. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could pass it along with an actual link. If I have time later I'll try to look.

NaturalMom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:02 pm
Play around with your daughter's diet. My nursing DS tested negative to all allergy tests, but he had eczema on his face. I cut out dairy and gluten from our diets, and bananas (of all things), and goodbye eczema. Every time I cheat, he has a mini breakout.

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:44 pm
Don't assume it's eczema and don't just rely on a pediatrician (or an allergist's opinion) - you want to get a biopsy from a dermatologist to confirm! DH was told as a child that he had 'eczema' by his pediatrician and he itched and scratched it like mad for 10 years....after we got married I dragged his behind to the dermatologist, the dermatologist did a biopsy and SURPRISE it was psoriasis! And what'dya know, after going onto the right medication and making a few lifestyle adjustments, he feels 100% better!

That being said, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's often a duck. You might have garden variety AWFUL eczema on your hands.

Some things to consider with regards to eczema: sometimes it's food-allergy related, sometimes it's contact allergy related, sometimes it's part of a secondary problem.

I'm assuming you are already doing the tepid baths, slathering with a rich emollient, avoiding fragrance/scented products, using sensitive skin soaps, and avoiding having her feet be overly hot.

If it's ONLY on the back of her feet, consider what types of shoes she's wearing. If it's summer time where you are and she's wearing sandals, she might have a grass allergy. If she's wearing closed toe shoes, it might be a reaction to chemicals used to soften leather for shoes.

As tikva mentioned, allergy tests sometimes yield false negatives. You can try experimenting with her diet (common culprits are dairy, gluten, corn, soy) but MAKE SURE that you keep CAREFUL RECORDS!

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:50 pm
Ds used to have terrible eczema all over. He tested positive to several foods, but cutting them from my diet didn't help. Food does not always trigger eczema and being that its only on her feet, I doubt its a food allergy. We used wet wraps to treat ds's eczema. He used to sleep in wet cotton footed pajamas with dry pajamas on top. The only soap we use in the bath is cetaphil cleanser as the fragrance in Johnsons' products cause eczema flairs on my kids. We used to have a perscription cream, but now we just use aquaphor or when there is an eczema flare, desitin.

Lillian

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 8:59 pm
My ds (5 year old) had bad exzema and dry skin, pediatrician recommended tablespoon flax oil daily we mix into juice. We saw a major improvement.

tikva18

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 6:54 pm
Lillian wrote:
My ds (5 year old) had bad exzema and dry skin, pediatrician recommended tablespoon flax oil daily we mix into juice. We saw a major improvement.

Nice! Or the OP could try fish oil as well as other supplements.

yb

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 7:38 pm
calendula cream, it works miracles

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 7:53 pm
if youre looking for a derm in brooklyn, I recommend dr elliot ghatan. I believe that he does take americhoice. he is very knowledgeable.

additionally, I suggest that you consider that your child is allergic to something, and its triggering the eczema. for some really annoying reason, many allergists (at least the ones I saw with my son) dont mention to you that even if the scratch test comes back perfect and your child is not "officially" allergic to anything, he may be intolerant of those foods anyway. for example, my son's scratch test came back perfect and yet I could not get rid of the horrible eczema on his face. I was going crazy from the stress of it. then, at some point I decided to try things on my own and I took him off dairy (I discussed it with my pediatrician first). his eczema cleared up! he still has occasional mild eczema, but its like 500 times better than it used to be.

another annoyance is that dermatologists (at least the ones I saw!) tend to think that the possibility of allergies causing eczema is not something to focus on. I am not sure why they feel that way, since eczema is often caused by allergies I think.

even though dr ghatan was not very supportive of the allergy-eczema link, he is a very good diagnostician and he prescribed a cream that really helped my son. I think he would be very helpful to you.

tikva18

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 11:30 pm
gold21 wrote:
if youre looking for a derm in brooklyn, I recommend dr elliot ghatan. I believe that he does take americhoice. he is very knowledgeable.

additionally, I suggest that you consider that your child is allergic to something, and its triggering the eczema. for some really annoying reason, many allergists (at least the ones I saw with my son) dont mention to you that even if the scratch test comes back perfect and your child is not "officially" allergic to anything, he may be intolerant of those foods anyway. for example, my son's scratch test came back perfect and yet I could not get rid of the horrible eczema on his face. I was going crazy from the stress of it. then, at some point I decided to try things on my own and I took him off dairy (I discussed it with my pediatrician first). his eczema cleared up! he still has occasional mild eczema, but its like 500 times better than it used to be.

Yes. The skin testing did not work for any of my children and that was the only testing approved by our insurance. I had to beg for each food that made it on to the testing list - and then the whole shebang came back negative. I had a child who after leaving the allergist's office, started to eat a milchig yoghurt (afterall, I was told he wasn't allergic) and he immediately vomited. When I called the office back, they told me "Oh! your ds is allergic to dairy! don't let him eat anymore until you bring him in again so we can document him throwing up after eating it in our office." I pretty much gave up on allergists after that.
My oldest ds had hives 24/7 and the allergist told us that it was idiopathic urticaria (meaning they don't know what causes the hives) The skin testing was negative for all foods. When I removed gluten and wheat after non-mainstream testing - his hives went away for the first time in years. Further, he was able to go to sleep much more easily - it used to take him hours.
Quote:

another annoyance is that dermatologists (at least the ones I saw!) tend to think that the possibility of allergies causing eczema is not something to focus on. I am not sure why they feel that way, since eczema is often caused by allergies I think.

Why? because they'd be out of work then.

Peanuts

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 11:34 pm
use bar soap it works magic

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 05 2012, 11:56 pm
Yes. People do not eat enough oil. Work more good quality olive oil into your cooking. It is better than the other oils, IMHO, for this purpose. Give a tablespoon of it, if the child will take it. It can be applied to the skin too. Castor oil is good, but please, please patch test it first before using. Some swear by it. Give a little red meat, steak, cut up small and complete vitamins.

gold21

Post Fri, Jan 06 2012, 12:35 am
at this rate, dolly, im starting to think you work for a meat company. do you really believe it can cure everything under the sun?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 06 2012, 12:57 am
I agree that eliminating food can help tremendously.
I started with straight up eggs (not eggs in challah etc.) and dairy, and saw tremendous improvement.

If you want creams, in addition to the elimination diet which you will have to do on your own, you can go to Dr. Isaac Novick on East 19th. I believe he takes your insurance.

yb

Post Fri, Jan 06 2012, 9:12 am
Peanuts wrote:
use bar soap it works magic

what kind of suggestion is this??
First soap is painful on broken skin, dries up what healthy skin is left, and is strongly discouraged for people with eczema (except in certain smelly areas).
Second, BAR sOAP to treat eczema is totally ridiculous. Soap can't heal broken skin!

Not to mention, bar soap is a beautiful collection of germs and a great way to transmit illnesses around your family. A great idea for broken skin!!!!
shock
Please make sure the advice you're giving is actually helpful.

allergypro

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:26 am
Thank you everyone for your replies! I haven't posted in a while, but I have been reading everything. So, what started as some ocassional patches of eczema on the back of her feet, now became horrible eczema on her feet, and patches on her face and arms.
We did allergy testing which came back negative for food allergies. We changed detergents, stopped using fabric softener, and changed soaps used in the shower. It helped a lot for almost a year. Now it has gradually become worse. It also used to be mostly in the fall, so we assumed it was seasonal.
I took her to the pediatrician last week, and got a new cream and instructions to use more vitamins. She suggested zinc, omega3, oraldophilus, and vitamin d3. The cream is a homeopathic compound cream. She recomended 3 months of this.
We started the cream, and the vitamins are on the agenda for this week - (gota go out and buy it first). My pediatritian also recomended keeping white flour and sugar out of her diet.
Now, for suggestions from you ladies. My child is a child who will not do well with "sometimes". It's either all, or nothing. Meaning, I can't tell her that we will go mostly off of wheat at home, and send some things to school. Even though even some elimination will probably be beneficial, it just wont work for her. I am willing to completely eliminate one or two things at a time. However, what is the best thing to start with? Also, should I first wait and see if the vitamins will help? Should I first try diet? I don't think there's any particular right or wrong here. I just want to know from experienced people what worked.
Sorry for my ramble, hope it makes sense! Thanx for your advice!

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 9:02 am
we cut out a lot of gluten (were ever I can) we use a LOT of rice (moslty brown) millet, quiona, brown rice pasta
I want to make gluten free bread but haven't yet

preempservices

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 10:57 am
Whatever the trigger is, you need 3 weeks of "trigger free" eating to clear up the eczema, then you can try introducing small of occasional quantities and see what happens.
DD-20 has suffered with eczema most of her life. She just completed 2.5 of 3 weeks gluten free and her flare is subsiding.
B'Hatzlacha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics