Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Treating the Symptoms - the debate

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:00 am
We have recently been discussing here the impact of secular society on the Jewish way of life.

I think that one of the notions that has crept into our consciousness is "treating the symptoms" instead of treating things at their root.

This begins with medical treatment (see the story in "Treating the Symptoms - the Poll" thread) but infuses much of our lives. I especially see it as the basis of many educational issues, including tzniut.

Should the Jewish way of life advocate dealing with the symptoms or dealing with root of the problem?

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 8:49 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
Should the Jewish way of life advocate dealing with the symptoms or dealing with root of the problem?

is that a rhetorical question?

what are the pros and cons for each?

which problems are we talking about?

it's often helpful to deal with both simultaneously

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 9:16 am
Good question Ribbie. To treat the root of the problem we need to be infusing ourselves with spiritual medicine. "Tanya" which was printed in תקנ"ו is called Ketores Neshama V'Ruach meaning it's medicine for all the ills of the neshama.

The study of Chassidus and Mussar is needed to counter the influences of the secular world on us. Without it we don't stand a chance.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 9:50 am
Quote:

Both?

We might need to attack a specific symptom UNTIL the root cause is addressed fully.

We need to bring people to a Torah life style, and become stronger in our own zeal for Torah. I think we often get sidetracked into issues which are personal and subjective.

I like the way Hillel taught the pagen; "That which is abhorrent to you do not do unto your neighbor. All the rest is commentary, come and learn."
If we can start from there, and not worry about the details, but bring that spirit to the rest of the Jewish world... I think all the other battles will be easily won.

imho[/quote]

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 11:16 am
HindaRochel, if you know what Chassidus explains about that saying from Hillel, you would understand how it can encompass the entire Torah. Otherwise if you think about it, how is the rest all commentary?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 11:22 am
TzenaRena wrote:
HindaRochel, if you know what Chassidus explains about that saying from Hillel, you would understand how it can encompass the entire Torah. Otherwise if you think about it, how is the rest all commentary?

Please clarify "what Chassidus explains about that saying from Hillel".

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 11:41 am
TzenaRena, I've always thought it was pretty straight forward. I realize you are a Chassid, but I'm not, so you'll have to explain it from the Chassic view point. I would like to hear what you have to say on the matter.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 1:59 pm
Chassidut is the pnimiut of the Torah, aspiring to an understanding of the spiritual roots of all being.

The way I see it, Chassidut reaches the true essence of our lives, leaving no area untouched by its illuminating light. Chassidut delves into the innermost spiritual roots of our lives and reveals the hidden goodness that resides even in evil.

As TzenaRena said,
Quote:
The study of Chassidus and Mussar is needed to counter the influences of the secular world on us. Without it we don't stand a chance.

The secular world around us is thirsting for true spirituality in a materialistic world. The highest they can aspire to is "freedom" "love" and "happiness" which when translated into a materialistic sense is catastrophic. Those who realize that they are searching for something "beyond" the material may search for spirituality in contaminated places.

Unfortunately, because most facets of Judaism do not sufficiently emphasise the more profound aspects of our life as Jews, many spiritually oriented people turn away from Judaism, Hashem yishmor, to search in foreign pastures.

Yet Chassidut relates to every facet of creation and every facet of the human psyche. When studying Chassidut it is beautiful to see how everything is incorporated and integrated into a complete whole. We are offered the privelege of a glimpse of seeing that Hashem is everything and everything is Hashem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics