Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Does anyone know anything about Camp Chaviva?
1  2  Next

NJmom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 7:42 pm
My almost 12 year old wants to go to Camp Chaviva because that is where some of her friends are going? Does anyone know anything about this camp? What type of girls? Are they mostly New Yorkers? Are the girls friendly? Is it a rich camp? What are the facilities like? Do you know what the cost is? Any info would be most helpful. Thank you!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 8:13 pm
The impression I got was that it is a rich camp and a bit jappy. I really don't know that much-I've never been there.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 9:42 pm
Bump
Does anyone have more info about the camp?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 9:54 pm
My daughter went last summer and I was not impressed. We heard a lot of good things about it, and thats why we sent her there. The upper staff is not the nicest. I f you child has a little innocent fun, they keep threatening them that they will not be able to return next summer. If there is any problems between friends during the summer, noone really get involved to help. All in all, I spent 2500 bucks and will NOT send there again.

carmelita

Post Thu, Jan 09 2014, 10:10 pm
Just to give you a different perspective. I sent my daughter to Chaviva and she had a wonderful time. I found the administrators responsive and friendly and it seems they had good safety rules and well planned age appropriate activities and trips. The bunkhouses and public spaces were NOT anything you could call fancy. She is looking forward to a second summer and seeing the friends she made again. Although we are OOT I do think some of the girls were from NY homes with more emphasis on jappy clothing etc but it did not bother my daughter.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 2:30 am
My DD went last summer and loved it and so did I. I found the upper staff to be warm and have a genuine interest in my daughter, unlike the camp where another DD goes. It's a smaller camp, facility is not as impressive as other camps, but DD felt activities, trips, ruach, warmth, etc more than made up for it.
There are NYers (mostly from Queens and 5 Towns area) but many OOT as well. I think I have a unique perspective on this because I grew up OOT and now live in NY. I really didn't want my DD to go to a snobby NY camp! Smile Among NYers, it is not considered a "jappy" camp. There were some girls with fancy clothes, but not all of them were from NY and I didn't find it to be a focus. There are some camps where a girl won't make it socially if she isn't wearing designer labels- Chaviva is not like that. My DD made a lot of friends and keeps in touch with them.

gumgum

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 10:07 am
I was a camper there for 2 years and went as a staff memeber for another 2 years.
the first 3 years I was there it was still called camp segula.
I LOVED IT HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE
it is a great camp excellent and caring staff and great girls
I think that first half is more new york type and second half is more out of towny. that is how it was when I was there.
the y have lots of fun extra activities and really make the girls happy.
when I did go it was when I was much older and a few years ago so I dont know exactly how it is run todays days but it cant be much different since the staff is all the same
my sister is going first half this year iyh and she is 12. Hope she is going to love ti as muc has I did.

mommyrox

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:21 pm
I have to agree with the above poster that did not like the upper staff. I agree. The upper staff are very rigid and judgmental if your daughter is an excellent girl as far as following tsnius to the T, not bringing any cholav stamm then they will like her otherwise you'll be asked not to return next summer. They stereotype girls and listen to outside loshon horah about your daughter. They also make the girls sign a disclosure form that states they will always dress tsniyasdig even when not in camp.
It's run by Rabbi Neuman who used to run Bais Yaakov of Queens (I don't know his official title). His father was the one who started Bais Yaakov of Queens.
Good Luck!

Tekky

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:04 pm
I'm a real Chaviva girl at heart and I apologize to the poster with the negative experience above - Camp Chaviva is reknown for it's warmth and openness.

I was both a camper and counselor there for years and let me tell you - the counselors put their hearts and souls into each and every camper. The upper staff is unbelievably experienced and super friendly and nice - no big barriers.

Older girls befriend younger girls and some of my best friendships were made there. The program is excellent and e/o I know has a total blast.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:14 pm
My girls go and they love it! They are not typical yeahivish girls but they definitely follow the rules because they chose to go there. In general I'm a big believer in following the rules of the school or camp that you CHOOSE. My experience with the head staff has only been wonderful both when dealing with a homesick child and a bullying situation. My girls have amazing camp friends. One of my girls is who she is because of camp Chaviva, she had a hard time in school and her counselors and the upper staff gave her incredible summers to look forward to. My friends who send feel the same way!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:18 pm
u asked...

I found the upper staff to be very fake. They talk to you nicely and then will speak about you behind their back

Despite the fact that I hate it, my girls loved it.

mommyrox

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:34 am
I agree with the above poster and your daughter can still like the camp but when you have "fake" upper staff who listen to loshon horah then you don't have the makings of a good camp. Sorry!

Simple1

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 11:54 am
DD went a few years ago and I found the staff and R' Neuman to be very nice, warm and easy to work with. DD found the staff to be less stricter on rules than other camps, more laid back. I don't know if anything changed since then. I wished dd would still go back, but she wanted to switch because her friends were going to a different camp. But she does remember having a positive experience in that camp.

mommyrox

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 10:38 am
Things have changed a lot since your daughter last attended. The upper staff and Rabbi Newman are more concerned about their reputation than giving girls wholesome fun with a dose of warmth. Also, nobody is monitoring what is going on inside the bunkhouses. I heard that many girls are coming to camp with internet capable devices but they the upper staff is clueless.

normal mom

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 12:15 pm
I know from many relatives attending chaviva that it is a wonderful camp with great staff that really put a lot into every camper. @mommyrox you are focusing on one minor detail which does not effect the camping experience. for someone who really cares about people saying loshon hora you should be a bit more careful when posting other peoples names publicly.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 12:39 am
I would like to bump this up.
anyone know what Camp Chaviva is like now?
What kind of girls go?
Are internet devices an issue?
Is it a rich girl type camp?

amother
Alyssum

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 10:53 pm
Ill be following...

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 10:55 pm
My daughter went this past year and loved it. Wonderful girls and very caring staff.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:33 am
My daughter went this summer for the first time and loved it there! She keeps In touch with all her friends and can’t wait to go back again.
The staff was warm, the counselors were amazing, her bunk mates seemed like nice solid sweet, friendly girls. They definitely have rules and run a strict right ship there, but the girls LOVE the place and that tells you everything.

jycar

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:12 am
Is there a difference in types of girls that go between first and second half?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps