Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Speech

TURTLE

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 8:19 am
Feeling at a total loss. Doctor told me to get in touch with early intervention for speech to come do a home evaluation. Who do I call to get in touch with? what should I expect? Any tips???Thank you!!!
My son just turned two.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 12:28 pm
If you are in NY, there are tons of agencies. Step By Step in BP is great. Although I think you usually have to bring him there for the evaluation.

They always have a special educator at the eval, to determine what other areas the kid might need therapy in. They would also have a speech evaluator there, since that is your area of concern. The therapists play with the kid and ask you lots of questions. It helps to write down your concerns beforehand, so you won't forget to mention anything important. Then they'll tell you whether they recommend therapy or not, and explain why.

The next step is to have a meeting to determine how many sessions of therapy he would get. It's pretty simple. Then the therapy begins.

daisy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 12:45 pm
Where are you? I can look up the info for you and point you in the right direction (or Google Early Intervention and your state). You can pm me if you want. I am in the process of doing this too.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 3:43 pm
I am in washington heights. Why number do I call for early intervention?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics