Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Immunizing????????????????
1  2  Next

timeout

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 9:01 am
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:06 am
So a child under 2 months is allowed to come in, a parent without a booster is allowed to come in, but a child who is between those ages cannot?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:07 am
Gotta love this comment:
"Those that spread falsehood and lies that vaccines cause immunization…"

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:11 am
And this:
"These babies were too young to have received the Dtap shots yet (the older one may have had one so far). "
At 7 months old, according to the AAP schedule, the baby should have gotten 3 IIRC.

jerusalem-girl

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:12 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Gotta love this comment:

Yeah, that comment was really great! ROFL!

Wouldn't go to Dr. Shanik unless you paid me. Blame it on not immunizing.... Exploding anger

This is one vaccine that is so clearly not effective, so often. I myself had an awful case after having been vaccinated.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:13 am
I got pertussis and I was immunized. I wasn't a baby, so it wasn't dangerous, but immunizations fail.

(anon because I don't think that many people got pertussis, and I would be outed...)

Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:13 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Gotta love this comment:

That made me Scratching Head as well.

If I may be so presumptuous, I will quote Chavamom's pertussis experience from another thread:

chavamom wrote:
Even people with a good understanding of epidemiology make some gross errors in their assumptions about vaccines. If I hear one more professional talk about how we have a resurgence of whooping cough b/c people in CA aren't getting vaccinated....

Look, here are the facts. We *know* that DTP and DTaP don't confer long-term immunity. There was a study done that showed a huge percentage of adults with persistent coughs test positive for pertussis. The problem is that until recently, they rarely tested. You can also get it more than once, so having had a previous case doesn't confer immunity either. "Herd immunity" means that over 95% of a population is walking around with immunity. Our population doesn't BEGIN to approach "herd immunity" levels and studies where they actually test people with coughs show that pertussis is not rare in the community at large. Yet we continue to hear experts talk about how not getting a DPT is effecting "herd immunity" for pertussis. We even acknowledge this (to a degree) with the newer campaigns to vaccinate "mothers and others" who are around babies. Of course, before we had a safe vaccine for people above the age of 8, you didn't hear much about this. So, so much for all those people who know something about epidemiology really being the only ones informed. There is so much propaganda that circulates around vaccinations, it makes it very hard for ANYONE to make an educated decision.

-signed, a mother who has had pertussis in her house, not once, but TWICE in the past year....in her vaccinated children.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:15 am
amother wrote:
I got pertussis and I was immunized. I wasn't a baby, so it wasn't dangerous, but immunizations fail.

(anon because I don't think that many people got pertussis, and I would be outed...)

I guess I was wrong Smile

jerusalem-girl

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:25 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Gotta love this comment:

On second thought, not a bad quote at all. Just make that into a noun: "Those that spread falsehood and lies that vaccines cause immunity...."
Admittedly, not the writer's intention.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:

Well, speak to Chavamom.

Or my mother...who is not on this board.
Neither is the assistant at the ped's office who insisted I had to rush my 4.5 yo to get a booster because SHE had pertussis and it wasn't fun.

It's not that uncommon.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 12:05 pm
jerusalem-girl wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Gotta love this comment:

On second thought, not a bad quote at all. Just make that into a noun: "Those that spread falsehood and lies that vaccines cause immunity...."
Admittedly, not the writer's intention.
Exactly Smile

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 4:42 pm
Lets put it this way.

Take the case of the 6 week old. He was too young to receive the vaccine, and therefore relying on responsible parents giving their children the vaccine. Along come Mommy-I-Know-Better, and brings along Unvaccinated-And-Carrying-Pertussis child. They Ooh and Ahh over baby - and baby gets sick.

Yes, it's possible to get pertussis at an older age, therefore a booster is needed for 6th grade. And yes, at an older age, whooping cough is just a nuisance to the child and not that dangerous. But it is FATAL to a baby.

There was recently a story of a mom who brought an unvaccinated, whooping child to a bris. Nebach, 3 days after the bris, the newborn died - of pertussis. In the videos of the bris, one can clearly hear the sick child whooping in the background.

If you choose not to protect your children, for whatever reason, that is your prerogative. But to put others at risk is wrong, irresponsible, and can result in death for unfortunate children.

Dr. Shanik has a right to not accept children who aren't vaccinated. Those parents know better than he does anyway, so his loyalties must lie with those patients that he can treat.

jelly belly

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 5:21 pm
emesornt, I think the problem is that most people do not stay on top of boosters even if they originally vaxed. So pertussis is spreading all over the place, and it's more likely because of people who were originally vaccinated but no longer have immunity (or never had immunity, because the rate is not very high with that particular vaccine). How many adults do you know who get boosters, unless they are mandated to for work or legal purposes?

tikva18

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 5:30 pm
emesornt wrote:
Lets put it this way.

Take the case of the 6 week old. He was too young to receive the vaccine, and therefore relying on responsible parents giving their children the vaccine. Along come Mommy-I-Know-Better, and brings along Unvaccinated-And-Carrying-Pertussis child. They Ooh and Ahh over baby - and baby gets sick.

Yes, it's possible to get pertussis at an older age, therefore a booster is needed for 6th grade. And yes, at an older age, whooping cough is just a nuisance to the child and not that dangerous. But it is FATAL to a baby.

There was recently a story of a mom who brought an unvaccinated, whooping child to a bris. Nebach, 3 days after the bris, the newborn died - of pertussis. In the videos of the bris, one can clearly hear the sick child whooping in the background.

If you choose not to protect your children, for whatever reason, that is your prerogative. But to put others at risk is wrong, irresponsible, and can result in death for unfortunate children.

Dr. Shanik has a right to not accept children who aren't vaccinated. Those parents know better than he does anyway, so his loyalties must lie with those patients that he can treat.

Excuse me, but what MORON takes his/her child to see a new baby or to a bris if they know that their child is sick? Shame on them. I would be as bold as to suggest that those who actively do not vaccinate their children would be more aware of the subtleties of illness and not expose others to them than those who vaccinate their kids and then do things like send them to school (oh, well, Johnny/shloime/moishe only has a runny nose and cough and he's probably okay).

small bean

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 5:42 pm
I want to add that Dr. Indich in Lakewood, doesn't either allow patients that don't vaccinate.

But there are 3 other practices that do allow it.

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 5:50 pm
tikva18 wrote:
emesornt wrote:
Lets put it this way.

Excuse me, but what MORON takes his/her child to see a new baby or to a bris if they know that their child is sick? Shame on them. I would be as bold as to suggest that those who actively do not vaccinate their children would be more aware of the subtleties of illness and not expose others to them than those who vaccinate their kids and then do things like send them to school (oh, well, Johnny/shloime/moishe only has a runny nose and cough and he's probably okay).
We're not talking about a runny nose or a cough, and moms from both sides of the vaccine debate do send children to school with a cold.

We're talking about children running a fever, or strep, bronchitis - any obvious "sickness" that is contagious.

From what I read, it is possible to be a carrier of pertussis and not exhibit any symptoms, but still be contagious. In the case of the bris, the child was already coughing the telltale cough, but maybe the parent didn't care/know. While I would send my son to school with a cold, I wouldn't let him near a baby with so much as a sniffle.

I don't think non vaxxers are any more or less aware of subtle illness than a vaxxer. Being aware is part of being a parent. Some parents are responsible, some aren't.

With regards to boosters, most adults to get the booster for tetanus, and they've added pertussis to the cocktail. You are right however - plenty aren't responsible when it comes to boosters, and that is something that needs to be addressed.

small bean

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 6:41 pm
I agree that internists do need to inform patients when they need to get their booster shots.

Most adults though do get tetanus shots (it is needed every 10 years) and pertusis is included.

I personally think that the issue is that many don't know that they are carrying the illness before passing it on....

I would venture to say most children are getting it from other children as opposed to adults...

We do not live in a bubble and therefor we can only do our part, and leave the rest to g-d. (whether that means vaccinating or not, which is based on your emotions - I have not seen one post on this site have any thing close to a good reason on either side of the debate)

Am I the only mother who asks before friends come over if the child had the flu shot?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 6:48 pm
there is a huge difference between sending a kid to school with a cold and taking a said kid to a bris where there will be a newborn baby. Newborn babies are tiny little things and a cold can turn into RSV in them.

I just missed a nephews bris for this reason, my dd had a cold and I did not want to risk it. (another nephew ended up in the ICU with RSV, caught from some kids with a cold)

celestial

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 6:48 pm
emesornt wrote:
Lets put it this way.

The bolded is the only thing I disagree with. You have a responsibility to care for life you bring into this world, and putting it at such risks unnecessarily is irresponsible and putting your child in harm's way, which I don't think should be a parent's prerogative.

nylon

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 6:50 pm
The Tdap can only be given once at the moment. I don't believe it's yet been approved for use every 10 years in place of the regular Td booster.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics