Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Infant car seat for the second - worth it?

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 8:50 pm
So usually when people ask whether it's worth getting an infant car seat, I'm all for it. With my first kid I felt it was a tremendous convenience, easier to install and use than the larger convertible we later switched her to, used it for almost a year, and loved the convenience of being able to click in and out the whole seat and use it with a snap-n-go too. Considering that you can get a very decent infant seat around $100 (or hand me down from someone you trust if you're lucky like we were!) and used snap-n-go's are all over, I am definitely in favor.

So now #2 is on the way and of course I went for the same choice. The hand-me-down car seat we used for #1 was now expired so I went ahead and bought a new one special for this LO. The thing is already unpacked and installed and I don't really plan to return it at this point, but in classic buyer's remorse form I'm wondering whether there was really any point. With one kid it was indispensable, but with two? Even if I would get a car seat adapter for my regular stroller, the whole ensemble would be too big and clunky to bother taking along in the car. The small snap-n-go's come in single and double but not infant+toddler. My double car stroller (maclaren) doesn't take car seats. My main travel plan is toddler in stroller, infant in Ergo carrier or equivalent. You lose the convenience of popping in and out the seat with the sleeping baby, but when you do want to tote around the baby in the seat you're left with a toddler on the loose. Anyway, I think I'm going to get a cheap used snap-n-go just in case but I'm starting to wonder whether there was any point at all in getting the infant seat in the first place. Whether you want to confirm my suspicions or help me justify the purchase, I'm interested in hearing what others thought of their infant seats once you had 2 little ones.

chatouli

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 9:06 pm
I think it depends how old your older child is and how good a walker s/he is. My DS was 2 when his brother was born and if he had liked the infant seat better, I'd have used a snap n go a lot because my older DS could walk by himself many of the places we went. I never got the adapter for my double stroller because it cost $100 and I couldn't find one used, but in the very beginning it would have been convenient.

Also, I did use the snap n go when my older DS was in school in the mornings and it was just me and the baby running errands.

granolamom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 10:17 pm
I always used the infant car seat even with toddlers in tow. my toddlers hate strollers, they want to walk or me to carry them. so baby goes in the snap-n-go (or sling) and toddler walks (or rides in sling).
and if baby falls asleep in the car on the way home, you can transfer car-house more easily. that's priceless, imo.

Marion

Post Fri, Oct 05 2012, 1:12 am
We didn't have a car until DS#2 was 6 months old, but we had a travel system from the very beginning with DS#1 because I wanted a seat for cab rides and such...

With DS#2 the carrier was used as an installed car seat; it almost never came out. DS#1 was taught from a reasonably early age (2?) that he was to walk holding on to the side of the stroller...and I see many families who walk this way. Today DS#4 is in the stroller and ALL my other kids (6.5, almost 5, and 2.5) walk holding the side.

newlymarried

Post Fri, Oct 05 2012, 10:55 am
You can get a buggy board to attach to the snap and go, and your toddler can ride on it.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Oct 05 2012, 12:53 pm
I loved having the car seat even though I barely used the snap n go. On errands I put the car seat in the wagon and my older one in the seat. Or sometimes my older one walked if it was a short errand. I also liked that when I got home the baby wouldn't wake up when I had to transfer them from the car. And the same with going to visit family (which we do often) I just transfered the baby in the seat. It also helped me to have a place to put the baby down in houses that didn't have baby gear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics