Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Please dont shoot me for talking about this now

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 6:05 pm
SO.... My time management skills often leave much to be desired. The past few years pesach cleaning has been down to the wire and really really stressful and I didnt even have to cook.

This year since the first seder is shabbos and we dont use the eruv and DS is not walking yet I have come to the conclusion its time to make our own seder. How do I do this in an organized calm way? when is it realistic to start cleaning? we have a decent sized two br apartment.

I also would like to know what cookware people appreciate so I can space out purchases and take advantage of any sales.

Thank you and please don't get annoyed that I am asking so early. I am just a very ADD person who needs lots of time to get stuff done sometimes.

eytse

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 6:18 pm
Last Shabbos me and a few friends were having a heated debate about what cookware was the best to have for Pesach... a few people said (or said that their mother said) it was a Kitchen Aid stand mixer... but those cost ike $300 and I don't even have one for the rest of the year... I said I thought that the best for Pesach was one of those $6 teeny hand mixers that don't actually do much besides beat eggs and whip cream. But for all the Pesach foods with eggs - merengue cookies, kugels, etc., it's definitely the best $6 I've ever spent for Pesach. Also, last year, I splurged and bought a pesach food processor. $100 but totally worth it. It cut my cooking time down significantly. Also, this year will be my first seder, too (my due date is the first day of Pesach, k'h), so, clearly, I am trying to figure out how to make this as easy as possible... I am working hard to convince myself that it doesn't have to be anything different than a regular Shabbos meal, plus a bunch of parseley, a chunk of horseradish, and some charoset, which, with my Pesach food processor, should seriously take like five minutes. Honestly, it will be less cooking than Shabbos because at least I'm not making challah. This is the attitude that I'm working on, anyway...

Good luck!!!

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 6:28 pm
Cookware: You need a good egg beater, even a hand beater.

Seder: List everything you have to prepare for the seder plate, etc. and start getting it ready 2-3 days before the seder. Pre-bag all the shiurim and label.

Seder should not be a very rich, complicated meal. People are eating a lot of matzah and lettuce and more matzah, and drinking a lot of wine or grape juice, as required. No room for tons more.

Have candies and nuts on the table for the kids to nosh on, given to them for asking questions.

Serve a substantial meal a few hours before the seder so peole aren't starving and cranky. Something easy, like boiled potatoes and meatballs.

Sudy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 6:36 pm
Kol Hakovod for starting early. (although it would be a too long pesach for me)

Make a basic menu for the first two days and then list all utensils and cookware you would need to cook in. I find working backwards helps me avoid missing a crucial irem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics