Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Flat Head

skymile

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 10:26 am
Should I be concerned? every time my family sees my baby they tell me to go to the doc to get a helmet. why is it so bad to have a flat head? what's the big deal??? I should mention my baby is a girl. I don't think it's important to have the perfect size head.

also as an aside. my baby just finished wearing a brace she's worn since she was 2 weeks old due to Hip Dysplasia. I'm not interested to start with another "thing" now. of course I'll do it if it's important. my question is- is it?

yksraya

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 10:34 am
it is not only for the nice shape it is sometimes also necessary for the growth of the brain. the brain needs proper place to grow. ask your doctor.

ntm1

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:18 pm
Yeah I second what yksraya said- its not just for the shape. If it's really flat it can cause all different problems whith the face and brain... Did your Dr. ever mention that it was flat? They usually check it out when u go for checkups.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:39 pm
Speak to the doc

Make sure she is on her stomach often

faigyl

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 12:54 pm
My baby wore a helmet. Her head was flat but also pointy on the side.
Go to the clinic and they'll scan her head for free and honestly tell you if its worth it or not. It also depends on how old your baby is.

U can PM me if you want more info.

yaakovsmom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 2:45 pm
See if you can get a free consultation at someplace like Cranial Technologies. Then you can see if your baby is even a candidate for a helmet. They can also calculate the severity; if you know that it's severe vs. mild, that would help you make a decision. The helmets are not only cosmetic - if the flatness affects facial symmetry, she can have problems later on with visual acuity. And even if it is only cosmetc, I know I wouldn't want an oddly shaped head if it could have been avoided. There is not a large window of opportunity for treament, though. Good luck! I had a helmet for more than one child and am truly glad that I did it.

skymile

Post Thu, Jan 12 2012, 3:25 pm
k so I called the doc's office and the receptionist said it can wait for evaluation till she has her 4 month visit. thanks for the replies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics