Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can you recommend a good sitcom?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

skymile

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 7:52 am
IMHopinion wrote:
Which sitcom would you recommend that compares to "Friends"?

absolutely NOTHING compares to friends... Sad I wish it would have gone on forever...

try Seinfeld
cougar town
two and a half men
modern family

rain

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 7:58 am
looooove modern family

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 7:59 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
IMHopinion wrote:
Which sitcom would you recommend that compares to "Friends"?

absolutely NOTHING compares to friends... Sad I wish it would have gone on forever...

try Seinfeld
cougar town
two and a half men
modern family

Yes THAT. Nothing like Friends. Never was, never can be.

As a side note, can someone please explain Happy Endings to me? I watched the first two episodes since you guys all recommended it, and I thought it was terrible! It got maybe two laughs out of me. But I know so many people say it's great, so...what's the deal? Does it get better? Or did you also find the first episode hysterically funny? I just want to know if I should plow on or if it's just not the show for me.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:00 am
The Office is really funny though. Not at all like Friends, but hysterically funny in a totally different way. And Seinfeld too, if you want to watch an old sitcom.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Fox

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:10 am
sweet wrote:
The middle, and work it, both on abc.

I vote for "The Middle" -- though I don't know if its appeal would extend to the East Coast. But, really, who can't relate to shopping at "The Frugal Hoosier" or its equivalent?

I'll also mention that the actors who play the kids are absolutely amazing, and Patricia Heaton (from "Everybody Loves Raymond") deserves a lot of credit for not stealing their scenes. Eden Sher as the "dork optimist" daughter does an incredible job of creating a character who is both absolutely groan-inducing and yet very loveable.

My other favorite thing about this show is the set. The set is the most absolutely, breathtaking piece of realism I've ever seen in film or theater. It doesn't look like someone's idea of a suburban home -- it looks like a real home, clutter and all.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:15 am
Whiteny, Two broke girls, Up all night, How I met your mother, Modern family...you can try out all those mentioned and see which ones you fall for.

skymile

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:16 am
so the middle is authentic. doesn't make it the LOL funny that friends is. (sorry I'm rude. I am just a real die-hard fan of Friends)

Maya

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:22 am
I think Frasier and Will & Grace are both funnier than Friends. Especially Frasier.

Fox

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 8:35 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
so the middle is authentic. doesn't make it the LOL funny that friends is. (sorry I'm rude. I am just a real die-hard fan of Friends)

Well, it's also funny -- the authentic details and comments about the acting were just an aside.

I think it's just a "different strokes" kind of thing -- I never understood why either "Friends" or "Seinfeld" were so popular. However, it makes me happy to know that I can safely throw away all those fundraising requests I get NU's School of Speech, safe in the knowledge that David and Julia will provide all the support our beloved alma mater needs!

Like Maya, I also liked "Frasier" and "Will & Grace". John Mahoney from "Frasier" has been around Chicago theater forever, as was Megan Mullally from "Will & Grace". It's fun to see these people go from ratty little stages in neighborhoods that could best be called, "not yet gentrified" to great roles and big money.

Seriously, though, David Schwimmer has poured a ton of money back into Chicago theatre, which I think is really admirable. Companies like Lookingglass and other less-known troupes wouldn't exist without his support.

pok

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 9:05 am
how I met yoy mother Smile

EmesOrNT

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 9:10 am
Crush, I watched the first episode of Happy Endings and was unimpressed, so I didn't watch the rest of the first season. By season 2, I decided to try again, since it was renewed and all… Turns out it had gotten better! It's like a modern version of friends.. Very good!!

trafficgal

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 9:12 am
Last Man Standing gets my vote!

checkbefore

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 10:23 am
@crush I agree with Emesornt, the first couple episodes did not impress me at all, but when I chanced upon the show again this season it was much better.

morah

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 10:43 am
I'm a big Seinfeld fan. It was running at the same time as Friends. However, How I Met Your Mother is definitely more Friends-like, except it's 15 years later (in other words, current). I love HIMYM, DH and I watch it together every Monday night.

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 10:54 am
I hated the actors/actresses on Seinfeld and on HIMYM.

Nthing like friends yet....

Gotta try some more of the above.

farfromhome

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 11:01 am
modern family is hysterical.

mommalah

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 11:44 am
Curb your enthusiasm

WriterMom

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 12:16 pm
Frasier is a good one, if you're looking for relatively clean, as are most of the Brit-coms: Yes Minister and Jeeves and Wooster, and so on.

30 Rock and Arrested Development are IMO screamingly funny but I would never watch them with my kids, for example, because there is more raunchy humor.
Shabbat shalom yall!

Fox

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 12:28 pm
WriterMom wrote:
if you're looking for relatively clean, as are most of the Brit-coms: Yes Minister and Jeeves and Wooster, and so on.

I also loved "Keeping Up Appearances" and "Suburban Shootout".

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jan 13 2012, 12:51 pm
I really like Last man standing - it's quite clean and family oriented. the Exes is a brand new one which is HILARIOUS and pretty clean. The office is really not funny anymore. parks n Rec is unbelievably funny and also pretty high up on the clean scale.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics