Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hw to get my 5 yo to stop biting his nails??

maofboys

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 6:45 am
Has anyone had this issue before? how do I get my 5 yo son stopbiting his nails with out useing anything dangerouse on his findgers. it only recently started but I think it has been a few months since I cut his nails. I tired promising him an expensive toy he wants and he really wants to stop but its hard. any ideas??

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 7:23 am
Don't.

That's my advice.

A lot of adult people bit their nails (me included... just sometimes, not all the time) and it doesn't kill them. Yes, it's not nice, and the child may get germs in his mouth, but it's likely a way to deal with stress, anxiety or fear. He may grow out of it once he finds better ways to cope with his feelings... or he may not. Either way, it's a hard battle to fight and it may not be worth it.

Strawberry2

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:20 am
I put "marah" on the nails and b"h after a month she doesn't bite them anymore

At one point when I mentioned stopping she said what's so bad my teacher does it too!

anonmommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:20 am
k I also need advice on the same exact thing for my 4 y.o. daughter. my husband and his whole family bite their nails and I find it a disgusting habit. I tried the topical stuff but she just gets past it. if anyone has anything that they have tried and has had success please respond!

maofboys

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 3:46 pm
what topical stuff did you use? I want to try something I just want to make sure its safe if he does put it in his mouth.

and for the amother who said let it go- He just started so I think I should at least try and break it before it becomes a habbit he can't stop. if he needs help figuring out a way to deal with stress let him learn now and let me help him talk through issues not let a bad habbit get worse.

anonmommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 4:38 pm
is marah israeli?? I use something bitter in england called stop and grow but when we lived in israel everyone said there is something really strong there that works. should have got it while I had the chance!!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 4:47 pm
I also dont recommed letting it go. My 5yo also bites his nails and he keeps re-infecting himself with pinworms that way. We're in Israel, pinworms are a constant problem here because of the sand and cats. I'm also going to look into the "strong stuff" to put on his nails. Any one know the name of it?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 4:53 pm
We tried the marah to stop ds from sucking his thumb and it didn't work. A therapist said to try Vicks Vaporub, or the equivalent in Israel. As horrifying as it sounds, it's not poisonous if put in small amounts, and not dangerous health-wise, even putting on a few times a day and that did it!

runninglate

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 4:53 pm
my one and a half yr old started doing this! Is there anything to do at this age or should I just ignore it?

maofboys

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 7:12 pm
my parents are in Israel now, I will ask them to look into this marah stuff but I am afraid they may think I am crazy, Vicks is an idea but I am still nervous about doing something that could be harmful I wish there was a homeopathic remedy like vinegar or something.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 7:39 pm
You could try hot pepper, but I wouldn't have the heart to do it.

maofboys

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:22 pm
huhuh I wouldn't have the heart to do that either.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:08 am
Pinworms are a problem, appendicitis is another. Depending on how he bites, it can also be problematic for his nails long term. Better a bad taste, even hot pepper, which is food and not unhealthy.
Btw many people get used to the bad taste.

STMommy

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 12:24 pm
one thing that worked for me was telling my child when she got sick, that it was because of the germs she was putting in her mouth when she sucked her thumb. we were still compassionate and sympathetic when she got sick but we would say, this is why you have to stop sucking your thumb. if she had a temporary relapse of the thumb sucking and then got sick, we were able to remind her, see how sick you feel today? all the time you weren't sucking your thumb you were healthy, then you started again and now youre sick again. she was old enough at age 4 to connect to what we were saying that thumb sucking = illness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics