Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy cooking on a tight budget
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 10:47 am
The title says it all! Need ideas please Smile

Seraph

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 11:45 am
What do you call healthy? I cook healthy on a really tight budget, but my idea of healthy differs from mainstream ideas of healthy eating.
Click on my blog for ideas...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 11:50 am
I have no issues using beans,lentils or tofu as protein
Not much starch

ora_43

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 12:00 pm
Where do you live? What's cheap? Can you get things like whole wheat flour, dried beans, brown rice, quinoa, etc for good prices?

Meals my family likes that I would consider healthy and cheap include: whole grain bread and soup (lentil soup, red lentil, vegetable, egg drop, etc - anything really), shakshuka (vegetable sauce and eggs), majdara (lentils and rice) with eggs or cottage cheese, red lentil "pizza," rice and chili, falafel. Also tuna casserole, which is more or less cheap depending how much tuna costs wherever you are (can be made with whole wheat noodles and a milk sauce).

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 12:15 pm
What is red lentil pizza?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 6:29 pm
Any other ideas

soproud

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:34 pm
Rice and bean burritos, frittatas, tuna patties...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 9:56 pm
Need recipes for burritos and frittatas please Smile

grin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 2:29 am
mac & cheese, with wheat germ added to the sauce as a thickener, quinoa/millet stew with veggies, savory pancakes with a variety of whole-grain flours.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 3:14 am
amother wrote:

It's like homemade pizza, but with a red lentil sauce with some vegetables instead of plain tomato sauce. I also do whole wheat crust and a milk-based sauce instead of cheese (that last one because it's cheaper).

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 3:18 am
Burritos - the way we make them here is not all that healthy, but it's just rice and beans wrapped in a tortilla. You can also add spices, cheese, sour cream, or beef or chicken, various vegetables, etc.

On weekdays we sometimes do rice and bean burritos with this tortilla recipe: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.......html
Like I said not so healthy - I'm not sure how to make truly healthy tortillas, although a non-stick pan gets you part of the way there.
For shabbat we sometimes do make your own burrito, with ground beef or chicken, rice, beans, tomato and onion. It's a great way to make a small amount of meat serve several people.

e1234

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 3:20 am
Quote:
mac & cheese, with wheat germ added to the sauce as a thickener,

do you taste it?
I have picky kids but always looking for ways to add more healthy stuff to what I know they will eat

shevi82

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 3:25 am
Here's a recipe for lentils and rice http://www.dianaskitchen.com/p.....r.htm
If you buy things like bulgur, oats, quinoa in bulk they are usually cheaper

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 3:29 am
ora_43 wrote:
amother wrote:

It's like homemade pizza, but with a red lentil sauce with some vegetables instead of plain tomato sauce. I also do whole wheat crust and a milk-based sauce instead of cheese (that last one because it's cheaper).

Can you give some more details on the sauce?

grin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 3:33 am
e1234 wrote:
Quote:
mac & cheese, with wheat germ added to the sauce as a thickener,

do you taste it?
I have picky kids but always looking for ways to add more healthy stuff to what I know they will eat
don't worry, my kids are picky too (and rightfully suspicious, as well!) - try it out and see.

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 4:01 am
ora_43 wrote:
, red lentil "pizza," ).

Can you please post your recipe please.Thanks

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 6:22 am
ora_43 wrote:
Burritos - the way we make them here is not all that healthy, but it's just rice and beans wrapped in a tortilla. You can also add spices, cheese, sour cream, or beef or chicken, various vegetables, etc.

On weekdays we sometimes do rice and bean burritos with this tortilla recipe: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.......html
Like I said not so healthy - I'm not sure how to make truly healthy tortillas, although a non-stick pan gets you part of the way there.
For shabbat we sometimes do make your own burrito, with ground beef or chicken, rice, beans, tomato and onion. It's a great way to make a small amount of meat serve several people.

Mix 4 cups of flour with 1 ½ teaspoons salt, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3 tablespoons any oil of your choice, and 1 cup of luke-warm water. It will be quite crumbly. Add extra water (less than half a cup) until the dough becomes a non sticky uniform mass.

Let the dough sit for 20 minutes for the gluten strands to form so the dough becomes more stretchy.

Take golf ball size clumps, flour them, and roll them out with a rolling pin to form tortillas.

You can use these tortillas as is, stuff them, and bake them. Alternatively you can fry them with no oil and use them to make tacos, wraps or whatever suits your fancy.

Yield: 8 tortillas
Variations: You can use whole wheat or white wheat for this recipe. You can also use half whole wheat, half corn meal.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 8:37 am
Red lentil pizza:
dough - 3 cups flour (whole wheat or regular or a mix), a big pinch of salt, a dash of oil, and enough water to make it dough-ish. let rise a bit before use.
lentil sauce - soak rinse and check red lentils (maybe 1.5 c?) then cook together with vegetables (we like eggplant and sweet potato). When lentils are soft add ginger, garlic, salt, and tomato paste.
cream sauce - T oil, T flour, about 1/3 liter milk, garlic and salt. Stir until thick.

layer crust, lentil sauce, cream sauce, and bake until brown on top.

It sounds complicated but it's more time than work (ie start one hour in advance, but it's only about 10 minutes of actual cooking).

Seraph - the recipe sounds basically the same, but baking instead of frying would definitely help. Do you bake them plain, or use them to make burritos then bake the whole burrito?

Sounds like it could work well for enchiladas.

mandksima

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 4:32 pm
I made really good lentil burgers tonight.

2 1/4 C brown lentils (place in pot, cover with water and add at least double that height with more water, bring to boil with 1/2 carrot, 1/2 onion, small piece celery and 1 bay leaf. Cook 30 or more min until lentils are soft, discard veggies or use for something else)

While they are cooking dice 1-2 onions and saute in a bit of olive oil until soft. Can add a can of mushrooms or use fresh once onions have softened a bit.

Blend 80% of the lentils (I use a stick blender in a big bowl) and add onions and mushrooms and keep blending. I add:
3 eggs
1/2 C quick oats
1 C whole wheat breadcrumbs
lots of crushed garlic
paprika, tumeric, cumin, cayenne, thyme
1-2 tsp salt
2 T soy sauce
fresh/frozen parsley
fresh/frozen ginger
fresh/frozen cilantro
handful of chickpeas
1 shredded carrot
1/2 diced red pepper, optional
Blend all, then add in reserved 20% lentils and mix and form patties. Fry in as little oil as possible or bake.
Makes a lot - maybe 30 burgers. Can freeze some.

Tiale

Post Sun, Mar 18 2012, 5:16 am
Seraph- I tried the tortillas and they were a hit! They came out amazing! Tnx
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking