Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What age should we take away the pacifier???

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:08 pm
at what point should we take away the pacifier? my son still uses one, he is 2.5. he mostly uses it in the crib only. when is considered early to take it away? the norm? and late? he doesnt seem ready but we'd like him to give it up.

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:33 pm
With each of my kids I did it when they were old enough to work toward a big prize if they slept without it for a week or two

yksraya

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:35 pm
my kids b"h stopped by themselves before they turned 1.

el2cg

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:37 pm
from a speech therapist's (and the dentist!) perspective, the sooner the better! my ds was a little over 3 when he gave it up. We told him that on pesach we will burn it w/ the chometz, and he went along w/ it. my 2nd son is 2 1/2, and I'm not ready to give it up. He still needs it to calm down. I also limit it to the crib only. I hope "burning it with the chometz" trick will work again.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 5:55 pm
We wanted our DS to stop using dummies (well that's what it is called here) before he started his nursery at 3, so it was like 2.5yr old when he quit "cold turkey". We missed the first chance before he turned 1, he's been a dummy addict between 1-2.5yr old. Literally all his photos have somthing sticking out of his mouth (note to self: need to airbrush 'em for bar mitzva slide shows...). When he was somehow old enough to understand, we told him his dummies need to go to someone else who's a smaller baby and we did a big "farewell party" for all his dummies. Mercifully no speech impediment or teeth problem.

supermommy07

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 9:55 pm
Ideally pacifiers should not be used past 12 months.For speech and oral development reasons.
Easy for me to say thou, none of my kids ever took one at all! they are born thumb suckers and I cant take those away. LOL

yyyyy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 10:14 pm
as previous posters wrote the sooner you get rid of it the better , but good luck not so simple mine got rid of it at 4.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics