Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tubes 3 days ago and see ears blocked with blood and pus?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 5:22 pm
Should I just leave it there and it will fall out or should I try to poke it out?
Can't rinse it out cuz water is not supposed to go in there.
Is this normal?

chipsy

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 5:39 pm
I think it's normal. My son was prescribed medicated drops for the first few days to prevent infection from the irritated area.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 5:40 pm
Did they give you are number for post-operative questions? I'd try that first. Is the ear canal totally blocked? If so, the ear drops probably aren't going where they should. I would call about it. I know it's normal to have drainage, but that sounds like a lot.

chipsy

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 5:40 pm
if you are concerned put a call in the the surgeon. no need to worry unnecessarily

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 6:08 pm
It's been a couple years since I went through this with my son, but I do not recall anything like that post surgery. I'd call the doctor. It might be normal for some kids, but why wonder. Ask!

Rodent

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 6:56 pm
A small amount of discharge is normal, so much that it is freely flowing or has blocked the passage is not and I would call and ask for advice.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 7:28 pm
My ds had tons of pus and blood dripping out of his ears for about a week after the surgery. A few days of it is normal, but then they recommended bringing him in to have his ears suctioned out so that drops could actually go in. We just tried the drops without suctioning the ears, and it worked.

21young

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:50 am
Unfortunately I'm an expert at this; my son is hearing impaired and had constant ear infections. After his tubes he still kept getting infections and it was vital that I keep it clean so the hearing tests would be reliable. I had to pick out the blood and pus every morning and take him to the pediatrician every other day to keep flushing it out. Bh in the end we got it clean.
First, call your surgeon. Use medicated drops.
Second, take him to your pediatrician; this sounds like an ear infection - it does happen even with tubes. Oral medication will help.
Third, keep cleaning it out with your fingers (no q-tips!) you will not pull the tube out because your fingers won't fit in that far and by removing the blockage you will allow the rest to drain out.
Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics