Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Remembering the Aibishter - the Big Picture

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:13 am
I was at a Rosh Chodesh event the other day and we had a speaker who is very very smart and quite popular.

He was talking about chumras and davening and learning…and then he said, plain and simple – don’t forget the Aibishter.

And I was thinking………whaaaaaaaat ?

He meant, don’t get so caught up in the details. Don’t let the chumras take over.

I’m always thinking, what can I add to the davening? Perhaps, I should daven less and concentrate more…..

Anyone?

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:18 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I was at a Rosh Chodesh event the other day and we had a speaker who is very very smart and quite popular.

He was talking about chumras and davening and learning…and then he said, plain and simple – don’t forget the Aibishter.

And I was thinking………whaaaaaaaat ?

He meant, don’t get so caught up in the details. Don’t let the chumras take over.

I’m always thinking, what can I add to the davening? Perhaps, I should daven less and concentrate more…..

Anyone?

What do you think the speaker meant? What does thinking about the Aibishter have to do w. Chumras taking or not taking over? People that take Chumras on, usually do it bec. of a desire to please Hashem. Please clarify.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:21 am
It sounded to me that he meant to do less but mean more.

Mevater

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:39 am
Did he give an example?

Sparkle

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:46 pm
Someone asked my husband the other day if we keep yoshon. He said "We keep Shabbos."

Not to put down those who keep yoshon of course, it is mentioned in the shulchan aruch but:

There are so many basic mitzvohs that we don't do properly or don't have the proper kavanah when doing them. Why take on extras yet? (I do understand a person taking on a chumrah here and there for personal reasons - but there are many people doing loads of them to feel frumer).

Just my opinion. I know there are other - valid - ones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics