Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby visiting hospital?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 4:58 pm
Can a baby visit a hospital? GMIL is in the hospital, and is chalishing to see her first and so far only great-grandchild. It would really life her spirits. She's in a private room, so I'm not concerned about the baby disturbing anyone. I'm more worried about germs. It's not difficult to arrange for childcare should the best thing be to leave the baby at home, we just want to bring him because she misses him and it would make her happy.

middy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 5:06 pm
most hospital regs won't let kids under at least 14

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 5:12 pm
Alrighty then- I guess it's time to call the babysitter and take a few nice pix/videos before we go over there...

middy

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 5:18 pm
u can call the hospital first and ask their policy, but most hospitals are pretty strict about it

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 5:22 pm
I could ask, but just because the hospital says it's ok, doesn't mean it's a good idea. If they did ok it, would you bring your baby?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 5:33 pm
I was hospitalized with a postpartum infection when my baby was 2 weeks old. After not seeing him for 8 days I couldn't take it anymore and asked for permission to have him brought for a visit. He stayed in the visiting room the whole time aand it was mamish a balm to my soul.

Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 6:14 pm
There are germs that don't live anywhere in the world except hospitals. I wouldn't take my baby to the hospital gift shop, let alone voluntarily to a "sick" room.

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 6:32 pm
My babies were born in a hospital!

Seriously, I've taken my baby to the hospital several times to visit people and didn't think twice about it, as long as the unit was one that allowed babies. I guess I'm not much of a germaphobe.

Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 7:05 pm
SomebodyElse wrote:
My babies were born in a hospital!

I did say "voluntarily" Wink

SomebodyElse wrote:
Seriously, I've taken my baby to the hospital several times to visit people and didn't think twice about it, as long as the unit was one that allowed babies. I guess I'm not much of a germaphobe.

I'm not generally a germaphobe either, but I would avoid a place that is known to carry antibiotic resistant bugs - even in the curtains!

http://www.reuters.com/article.....10922

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 7:30 pm
When I had a four yr old in the hospital, and was a nursing baby, I kept the baby with me in the hospital. He napped at the foot of dd's hospital bed.

This was almost 16 years ago. both are fine today and the baby did not get sick either.

Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 7:34 pm
shanie5 wrote:
When I had a four yr old in the hospital, and was a nursing baby, I kept the baby with me in the hospital. He napped at the foot of dd's hospital bed.

This was almost 16 years ago. both are fine today and the baby did not get sick either.

Sometimes there is no choice. OP here has a choice. And the germs that live in hospitals that are nearly completely resistant to antibiotics may not have existed 16 years ago.

SomebodyElse

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:15 pm
Orchid wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article.....10922

Definitely scary. Actually, I think I had even seen that article before. B"H I didn't think about it and we all survived. Hey, maybe that explains why most of the privacy curtains have been missing lately!

Inspired

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 11:36 pm
I take babies to hospitals but I wear them, don't put them down and don't let them touch anything. BH they were fine. Also don't stay for too long. A ward not with contagious people is better.

Strawberry

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 12:15 am
I took ds to visit my grandfather in the hospital when he was a few months old. Ds is the oldest (and at the time, only) great grandchild and we live overseas. If I hadn't taken him to the hospital, my grandfather would have had to wait another full year until he saw ds.

Of course it was a short visit but it meant the world to my grandfather. I still remember his bright smile and glowing eyes. It was 1000% worth it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 8:57 am
I'm not saying what you should do, but if your relative will be in the hospital long or short term would make a difference to me. but if you do, leave the baby in the stroller with hands away from being able to touch anything. and dont let anyone in the hosp. touch ur baby. also I wouldnt put the baby on the bed, I would just hold the baby myself - making sure I didnt touch a/t on the way up (elevator buttons etc) . but would ur relative want to touch or just see?

bnm

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 3:01 pm
the hospital here doesn't let in kids under 13 (though somehow my friends daughter got smuggled in, I was ready to kill here) I had an appointment in the building with my baby and they confirmed it before letting me in
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics