Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hep b vax: what is it, and what are the pros and cons?
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 12:52 pm
my friend just gave her baby the hep b vax, and her sister got upset that she did this.
what exactly is it, and what are the pros and cons?

I dont want the regualr vax v non-vax stuff, I want to know the real pros and cons of this shot.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:17 pm
the pro's and cons depend on your risk for the disease.
most newborns (born to hep b negative parents) are not really at risk for the disease (its blood-borne). so aside from the 'vaccine issue' its like giving your child strong medication that they dont need.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:21 pm
do they automatically administer it in hospitals?

and are you saying (just trying to clarify) that if my husband and I are both negative, then my children dont need it?

what is hep b, and how does one get it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:23 pm
It is full of aluminum. Just saying.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:26 pm
akivachaya wrote:

and are you saying (just trying to clarify) that if my husband and I are both negative, then my children dont need it?

Hep B is transmitted like an STD -- through bodily fluids.
If your baby is not engaged in promiscuous behavior, and your household is not full of it either (no drug use, etc), the chances of your baby getting it are abysmally low.

It is standard procedure in hospitals; the babies who need it most are the least likely to get pediatric appointments for well-visits. You can sign a waiver so that your baby will not receive it.

granolamom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:42 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
akivachaya wrote:

Hep B is transmitted like an STD -- through bodily fluids.
If your baby is not engaged in promiscuous behavior, and your household is not full of it either (no drug use, etc), the chances of your baby getting it are abysmally low.

It is standard procedure in hospitals; the babies who need it most are the least likely to get pediatric appointments for well-visits. You can sign a waiver so that your baby will not receive it.

just wanted to add some additional nastiness about the vax and its administration procedures. in many hospitals, the default is that the baby will get the shot unless you ask them not to give it. some dr's will bully you into it (or try to), its 'required' for school admission.
some dr's will even tell you its good for the child to have the vaccine incase they are ever molested.

jelly belly

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:49 pm
IME, it depends on the ped. Those who support it- babies are vaccinated at birth. There are some peds who prefer to do it at a later date on their own, and the hospitals don't touch those babies. That's assuming the ped has privileges at the hospital you give birth in, so they are aware of his or her protocol.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 2:56 pm
So do I talk to my ob or pediatrician about it? I guess I should really ask my pediatrician if he goes to the hospital where I will iy"h be delivering.... Smile

granolamom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 5:26 pm
talk to your ped. ask if he has privileges where you will be delivering and if he will be the baby's ped in the hospital. then talk to him about vaccines. if he will not be the dr seeing the baby in the hospital then make sure you find out who is and be sure to be with your baby for the visit. seems obvious but I didnt realize that with my first. they gave my baby the vax before I even knew the ped was seeing her. I assumed they would tell me beforehand. after that, I didnt let her out of my sight.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 5:38 pm
granolamom wrote:
talk to your ped. ask if he has privileges where you will be delivering and if he will be the baby's ped in the hospital. then talk to him about vaccines. if he will not be the dr seeing the baby in the hospital then make sure you find out who is and be sure to be with your baby for the visit. seems obvious but I didnt realize that with my first. they gave my baby the vax before I even knew the ped was seeing her. I assumed they would tell me beforehand. after that, I didnt let her out of my sight.

thanks!! ill call him tomorrow and ask, and while im at it ill ask him what I did last time too (it just seems so long ago- 3+ years- that I forgot.)

observer

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 6:36 pm
I always tell them when I'm in labor that I don't want the baby getting it and I sign something after the baby is born. My ped gives it when the baby is a lot older.

wtvr

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 9:22 pm
I don't think they can give it without your permission. You have to sign before they give it, and sign if you don't want it too. It shouldn't be too hard to refuse in the hospital, just tell them you'd like your regular ped to do vaccinations.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 10:22 pm
Pros: It protects against Hep B. It's side-effect free.

Cons: No many. It's still a shot.

Hep-B is transmitted through bodily fluids, like blood and zexual fluids. IIRC it can live outside the body for a week or more, so it is possible to get without engaging in any risky behavior. Most babies are not at a great risk for getting Hep B.

I presonally really resented the idea that any baby, let alone my baby, get the vaccine right after birth. I was going to delay it for years, and then I found out that someone I know and am close to has hep-B. They got it many years ago, not from any risky behavior. I decided to vaccinate, but at the doctor's office, not the hospital, and a bit later than standard. Speak to your doctor. It's really fine to give it, and waiting is probably fine for most. I just felt that since we can't know who has it and who doesn't, and since it doesn't have any side effects, might as well get it done. I don't do more than a certain # of vax at once, and it is another one so that's annoying. I guess that's another con.

Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 11:48 pm
wtvr wrote:
I don't think they can give it without your permission. You have to sign before they give it, and sign if you don't want it too. It shouldn't be too hard to refuse in the hospital, just tell them you'd like your regular ped to do vaccinations.

One of my kids, born 10+ years ago in Israel, was born on Shabbos. Turns out at that particular hospital at that particular time had an Arab lady sign my name on dozens of papers (to minimize my chilul Shabbos, I guess...so nice of them to have asked me Confused) ....including one authorizing them to give the Hep shot, which they proceeded to give him. So I know this is a far-out situation, but be careful (especially in Israel on Shabbos)!

And oh, I have a friend in the states who did *not* authorize and did *not* sign the papers, but they gave the shot anyway.... she didn't follow up bec. she was planning on having her ped give it a few days later anyway, but I would've raised holy h*ll.

So you're right, in theory, nothing should EVER happen without your express approval. But doesn't hurt to act like a hawk just to be on the safe side.

Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 11:53 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
Pros: It protects against Hep B. It's side-effect free.

Cons: No many. It's still a shot.

There is no medicine in the world that is side affect free, let alone a vaccine. Even Tylenol has side affects.

I think it is given routinely in the event a baby is born to a druggie mother with an STD. Most pediatricians don't believe it is a MUST to be given at birth unless these conditions are present.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:21 am
Hep b for baby? I do not find it useful.
But for a traveling adult, oh yeah.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:42 am
Ruchel, you always mix this up with the Hepatitis A you got from food.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:44 am
wtvr wrote:

they did give it to my dd without my permission.
the hospital also gave her formula after I explicitly told everyone she was BREAST-ONLY

my next hospital born baby did not leave my sight for one minute. not one.

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:45 am
akivachaya wrote:
my friend just gave her baby the hep b vax, and her sister got upset that she did this.
what exactly is it, and what are the pros and cons?

I dont want the regualr vax v non-vax stuff, I want to know the real pros and cons of this shot.

May I make a suggestion? If you aren't sure about the vaccine by the time you go into labor, there's no rush to get the Hep B shot for a newborn. You can always go to your pediatrician a few weeks later and get it. Because once you get it, you can't reverse it, if you've changed your mind about it. But if you don't get it, you can reverse that pretty simply.

The Hep B shot is given routinely in many hospitals. In some hospitals they ask you first.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 10:10 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ruchel, you always mix this up with the Hepatitis A you got from food.

I was given the hep B before a trip, so maybe the doctor also mixed up? or it's a medical machlokes? I really wonder about that.
My dad got an infection from eating on dirty dishes in Egypt, and it turned into a hepatitis. He recovered and now it's long gone but it was horrible. Weirdly the doctors have never been able to say which hep it was...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics