Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Far Rockaway/5 Towns schools

spoons

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 6:10 pm
Any information would be greatly appreciated :
I'm looking into 5 Town area and would probably send my DDs to TAG. For boys, I've heard that Darchei is the most "mainstream" that it is the largest. I'd like more info on Yeshiva Ketana and South Shore, please!
I just read an old thread here that YK has a better secular education and is the priciest. And that SS is more diverse in its parent body (more "modern" ppl. send)
I'm very open to diverse student body, to an extent. Also, secular education is important to me in a boys yeshiva.
Also, any information on tuition, both for TAG and the boys' schools would be appreciated.

Last edited by spoons on Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

spoons

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:10 pm
bump

Optione

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:16 pm
spoons wrote:
I'd like more info on Yeshiva Ketana and South Shore, please!
I just read an old thread here that YK has a better secular education and is the priciest.

the one thing I can tell you about YKLI is that they have a new principal this year, so make sure that your research is up to date. Darchei is the more right-winged of them all, granted the diversity in such a large student population. I don't know that much about South Shore, but I have never heard any complaints...

babygirl40

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:14 am
south shore is more open, we understand that maybe 80% of the students have TV's. They have a bit more individualistic curriculum. YKLI is smaller (depending on the child is a great benefit).
How old are your children?

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:26 am
Just keep in mind that TAG doesn't except new students who don't have a sibling in the school. There r exceptions but thats the official rule. YKLI is even more stringent about excepting new students.

spoons

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:28 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
Just keep in mind that TAG doesn't except new students who don't have a sibling in the school. There r exceptions but thats the official rule. YKLI is even more stringent about excepting new students.

Since when? I know several people personally who got in and myself too, several years ago.

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:37 am
We took a school tour at HALB. Very impressive. Maybe that's an option for you. It's a mostly MO parent body, if that matters.

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 7:44 am
You should take school tours and speak to the administration of all the schools you are considering. It's the best way to make your research, and there will always be one school that will "catch" you attention in the most positive way.

We went to Darchei too. The principal didn't seem too intent on trying to impress us or explain the benefits of sending there.

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:35 am
I'm not sure what TAG's policy was a few years ago, but these days they won't accept a child into nursery unless they have an older sibling in the school. I'm sure of this as several people in my neighborhood were not able to get in for this reason. Perhaps the older grades r less crowded and this policy doesn't apply. YKLI doesn't want to have more than 2 parallel classes and therefore is strict about accepting new students. Darchei pretty much accepts everybody (I suppose there r exceptions, but generally speaking) which is why they have 7 or eight kindergartens this year. Iv'e heard the menahel of Darchei talk about how he feels that other yeshiva's need to share the achrayes of making sure everybody has a yeshiva to go to and not just Darchei.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:22 am
Just want to point out that you guys are all responding to a post from 2012. I really hope that the OP of that thread found a school for her son.

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 9:23 am
I didn't notice that Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries