Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Any Trekkies here?
1  2  3  Next

morah

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 4:52 pm
I married a big Trekkie and I kind of just let him do his own thing and without having anything to do with it because I was so sure it wasn't my thing. Well, due to a bet between us that I lost, I had to watch a few episodes with him, and turns out, I like it. Now I'm hooked! I've already watched my way through the original series, and I'm currently working my way through The Next Generation. I'm on the last season already, so Deep Space Nine is next on the list.

Anyway, just wondering if there are any others here. Also, do frum people ever go to conventions? DH is so excited that I got into Star Trek that now he's talking conventions- though I don't think I'm on that madreiga yet Very Happy

shoeboxgirly

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 5:04 pm
Completely unashamed to say I'm a massive scifi fan, married to a massive scifi fan. We finished out TNG box set last week and are 4 disks in to DS9. We skipped out on the original series when TNG arrived, because it is comparatively rubbish, and unnecessarily provocative at times (very non-PC). We have also done all of both star gates, babylon 5, farscape, firefly and more.

I have no idea about conventions, they're not as big in the UK. But, what I can say is that the table names at our wedding do were named after fictional alien planets...yes, massive geeks we are. There's a ton more amusing geeky stuff I can share if anyone is at all interested... People have indeed called me loser at times, but I don't care, dh couldn't believe his luck when we found we had this in common, we're happy this way.

morah

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 5:11 pm
I also must say I like TNG better. Maybe being a Frenchie, I have a soft spot for Jean-Luc Picard.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 9:33 pm
shoeboxgirly wrote:
We have also done all of both star gates, babylon 5, farscape, firefly and more.

"Both"? You're missing a series! Smile

Love all those shows.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 9:59 pm
Not a Trekkie, but *squee!!!* at seeing Firefly and Farscape on this board!

Any Battlestar Galactica (new series) fans? For the music (I think if I ever met Bear McCreary in person I would say the bracha "she'nasan miChochmaso li'vnei Adam" -- the musical genius of that man is incredible) alone it is worth watching.

I got into sci-fi a bit later in life (I'm all of 23, so "later" means post-high school), but I was always a major fantasy nerd. As in, wrote and spoke Tolkien's Sindarin Elvish (I've gotten a bit rusty). High school coincided with the release of the Lord of the Rings movies, so that worked out great for me.

Geeky pride Very Happy

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:54 pm
I used to be a Star Trek fan in my teens and before I was frum. I saw the original series, and films, The Next Generation, much of Deep Space Nine (though I think there were some episodes I didn't see) and much of Voyager, though I missed a significant amount of episodes. I think I only saw a handful of Enterprise episodes. If I were to have the opportunity, I might like to revisit DS9, because I think I can appreciate the writing and drama more now than I did then. Out of curiosity, I would like to see Enterprise.

I still like to revisit Star Trek every now an then, but I think I look at it a little differently now than when I was younger. At the time, I liked the idea of the "Utopian society" that was supposed to be "our future." In fact, there was a point that I stopped watching DS9 for a while because the whole Dominion War storyline made me think that Star Trek was betraying it's idealistic roots. (Though now, as I said, I could probably appreciate it on another level.) When I think about it though, now I would probably question the messages of certain episodes, and wonder if those ideals I embraced are really so ideal. I think that's healthy.

ReallyRosie

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:07 pm
I'm a major Trekkie fan - and I'm also really getting into Warehouse 13 now (does that count as sci-fi?)

How do the Trekkies here feel about Doctor Who? It's interesting, and funny, but some of the plotlines are making me uncomfortable, as far as the worldview (hatred of military, because they are military, etc.)

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:11 pm
Not a Trekkie, but I love Doctor Who. It's consistently wonderful.

celestial

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:15 pm
Big trekkie, and I love love love VOYAGER!
Janeway is my favorite fictional character of all time, and the Doctor has the most hilarious lines on television. Belanna is another favorite of mine.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:20 pm
I am totally not into such things at all but I just wanted to say morah when I saw the thread title I don't know why but I just immediately thought you were the op LOL

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:46 am
I grew up on the original ST series. Saw the movies; read books. I'm not into it now but I still consider myself a "Trekkie".

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:13 am
Not really a trekkie though I did see and enjoy most of voyeger and the next generation. Maybe I'll start watching it now.
I'm a total scifi/fantasy geek and I still mourn the loss of Buffy (though the seventh season was really not up to par)

age of the geek baby Smile

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:46 am
bluebird wrote:
shoeboxgirly wrote:
We have also done all of both star gates, babylon 5, farscape, firefly and more.

"Both"? You're missing a series! Smile

Love all those shows.

I'm not, dh is, he won't watch until it comes out in a box set. Rolling Eyes Also, going into a deep sleep until the network changes its mind about running a series is well...rubbish.

I should also add I've watched all of BSG/Caprica etc, dh hasn't yet, it is on the 'to buy' list.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:49 am
morah wrote:
I also must say I like TNG better. Maybe being a Frenchie, I have a soft spot for Jean-Luc Picard.

So french he speaks with an English accent and drinks earl grey tea...because any europeanish stuff will do.

I can't complain, Patrick Stewart is all kinds of awesome.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:53 am
ReallyRosie wrote:
I'm a major Trekkie fan - and I'm also really getting into Warehouse 13 now (does that count as sci-fi?)

How do the Trekkies here feel about Doctor Who? It's interesting, and funny, but some of the plotlines are making me uncomfortable, as far as the worldview (hatred of military, because they are military, etc.)

I'd say that Eureka/Warehouse13/Alphas (being in the same fictional universe) all cross the scifi-fantasy boundary. I think the same can be said of Sanctuary.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:24 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Not a Trekkie, but *squee!!!* at seeing Firefly and Farscape on this board!

Any Battlestar Galactica (new series) fans? For the music (I think if I ever met Bear McCreary in person I would say the bracha "she'nasan miChochmaso li'vnei Adam" -- the musical genius of that man is incredible) alone it is worth watching.

I got into sci-fi a bit later in life (I'm all of 23, so "later" means post-high school), but I was always a major fantasy nerd. As in, wrote and spoke Tolkien's Sindarin Elvish (I've gotten a bit rusty). High school coincided with the release of the Lord of the Rings movies, so that worked out great for me.

Geeky pride Very Happy

haha...squee...I am totally going to use that in a sentence today...but probably not at work.

I very much agree with you over the BSG music, absolutely breathtaking I must say.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:45 am
Trekkie here.
Big fan of TNG.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 7:02 am
dee's mommy wrote:
I used to be a Star Trek fan in my teens and before I was frum. I saw the original series, and films, The Next Generation, much of Deep Space Nine (though I think there were some episodes I didn't see) and much of Voyager, though I missed a significant amount of episodes. I think I only saw a handful of Enterprise episodes. If I were to have the opportunity, I might like to revisit DS9, because I think I can appreciate the writing and drama more now than I did then. Out of curiosity, I would like to see Enterprise.

I still like to revisit Star Trek every now an then, but I think I look at it a little differently now than when I was younger. At the time, I liked the idea of the "Utopian society" that was supposed to be "our future." In fact, there was a point that I stopped watching DS9 for a while because the whole Dominion War storyline made me think that Star Trek was betraying it's idealistic roots. (Though now, as I said, I could probably appreciate it on another level.) When I think about it though, now I would probably question the messages of certain episodes, and wonder if those ideals I embraced are really so ideal. I think that's healthy.

I was actually speaking to dh about this and that's why DS9 is my favourite. It seems to me a valid point that in such a universe why should utopian human society necessarily be superior to any other, and often more spiritual, races. DS9 revels in betraying the idealistic roots right from the start, the station is not the fleet's flagship, it is a wrecked non-human designed mess, all the crew have some real flaws, they aren't definitely the most shiny people and the rules are not always so rigid, it is a little more grounded and therefore completely different to what star trek had previously offered.

Interestingly that paves the way quite nicely for the 'let's all pitch in because there's only one ship and we're far away' in voyager, although returning to the idealistic 'everyone can be the best' (which makes it a bit weaker imo).

celestial

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 10:54 am
I think the fact there's a strict hierarchy in the ships proves the "everyone can be their best" thing isn't so crazy.

morah

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:08 am
shoeboxgirly wrote:
morah wrote:

So french he speaks with an English accent and drinks earl grey tea...because any europeanish stuff will do.

I can't complain, Patrick Stewart is all kinds of awesome.

He also sings various French drinking songs- the actor may be British but the character is French. It's funny, it's not so much the sci-fi aspect, but all the political stuff that I find intriguing- the Borg is soooo obviously a stand-in for communism, the Cardassians and Bajorans seem to represent Middle East politics, etc.

The one thing I can't get over though, is how, in this conception of the 24th century, anything ever gets done- something tells me that if we ever actually invented replicators and holodecks, nothing would ever get done- no need for a parnassa if you've got a replicator, and we'd be spending all our time living out fantasies on the holodeck!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics