Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Any Trekkies here?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

celestial

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:09 am
I think you needed a certian kind of energy for the replicators, because there are some episodes where it's on the fritz for some reason. Also they have rations.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:17 am
morah wrote:

It's funny, it's not so much the sci-fi aspect, but all the political stuff that I find intriguing- the Borg is soooo obviously a stand-in for communism, the Cardassians and Bajorans seem to represent Middle East politics, etc.

The ferengi!

There are so many conspiracy Jew/Star Trek theories out there.

WriterMom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:36 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Not a Trekkie, but *squee!!!* at seeing Firefly and Farscape on this board!

Any Battlestar Galactica (new series) fans? For the music (I think if I ever met Bear McCreary in person I would say the bracha "she'nasan miChochmaso li'vnei Adam" -- the musical genius of that man is incredible) alone it is worth watching.

I got into sci-fi a bit later in life (I'm all of 23, so "later" means post-high school), but I was always a major fantasy nerd. As in, wrote and spoke Tolkien's Sindarin Elvish (I've gotten a bit rusty). High school coincided with the release of the Lord of the Rings movies, so that worked out great for me.

Geeky pride Very Happy

Love love love BSG, and sci fi in general. I agree on the political elements - one of the best elements of speculative literature is it can explore ideas without all the baggage that comes with writing about real situations.

Did anyone watch Caprica? It's the BSG 'prequel.' It got cancelled, but it was also great IMO.

I'm currently watching Star Trek: Enterprise which is the series set a couple generations before TOS.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:44 am
WriterMom wrote:
bigsis144 wrote:

Any Battlestar Galactica (new series) fans? For the music (I think if I ever met Bear McCreary in person I would say the bracha "she'nasan miChochmaso li'vnei Adam" -- the musical genius of that man is incredible) alone it is worth watching.

I got into sci-fi a bit later in life (I'm all of 23, so "later" means post-high school), but I was always a major fantasy nerd. As in, wrote and spoke Tolkien's Sindarin Elvish (I've gotten a bit rusty). High school coincided with the release of the Lord of the Rings movies, so that worked out great for me.

Geeky pride Very Happy

Love love love BSG, and sci fi in general. I agree on the political elements - one of the best elements of speculative literature is it can explore ideas without all the baggage that comes with writing about real situations.

Did anyone watch Caprica? It's the BSG 'prequel.' It got cancelled, but it was also great IMO.

I'm currently watching Star Trek: Enterprise which is the series set a couple generations before TOS.

ITA. Well said!

And while we're on the subject of Syfy shows... well, actually the tv series is but a pale, pale, pale shadow to the frakkin' awesomeness of the books (uh oh, this thread is really starting to make me lose my composure...)... any fans of Harry Dresden? Very Happy

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:52 am
WriterMom wrote:

Caprica: didn't like that it was cancelled, but did like the ending.
Enterprise: should have been better, especially considering quantum leap.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:53 am
bigsis144 wrote:
WriterMom wrote:
bigsis144 wrote:

Geeky pride Very Happy

ITA. Well said!

And while we're on the subject of Syfy shows... well, actually the tv series is but a pale, pale, pale shadow to the frakkin' awesomeness of the books (uh oh, this thread is really starting to make me lose my composure...)... any fans of Harry Dresden? Very Happy

Star Trek lover here. If there was a school where you could major in star trek, Id go there!!

I watched dresden files when it was on, but it was so short I dont remember much

ReallyRosie

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:55 am
shoeboxgirly wrote:
ReallyRosie wrote:
I'm a major Trekkie fan - and I'm also really getting into Warehouse 13 now (does that count as sci-fi?)

How do the Trekkies here feel about Doctor Who? It's interesting, and funny, but some of the plotlines are making me uncomfortable, as far as the worldview (hatred of military, because they are military, etc.)

I'd say that Eureka/Warehouse13/Alphas (being in the same fictional universe) all cross the scifi-fantasy boundary. I think the same can be said of Sanctuary.

I love Sanctuary!! Never saw Eureka...

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:00 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

Star Trek lover here. If there was a school where you could major in star trek, Id go there!!

I watched dresden files when it was on, but it was so short I dont remember much

Read the books! READ THE BOOKS!!

ReallyRosie

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:02 pm
shoeboxgirly wrote:
morah wrote:

It's funny, it's not so much the sci-fi aspect, but all the political stuff that I find intriguing- the Borg is soooo obviously a stand-in for communism, the Cardassians and Bajorans seem to represent Middle East politics, etc.

The ferengi!

There are so many conspiracy Jew/Star Trek theories out there.

You know there's that scene in The Wrath of Khan where the Klingons complain that you can't truly understand Shakespeare unless you read it in the original Klingon. Ack - that's exactly what we're going through with the so-called Palestinians!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:14 pm
anyone ever watch Heroes? Sulu was in it and the lic plate on his limo was NCC-1701.

tee hee

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:17 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
anyone ever watch Heroes? Sulu was in it and the lic plate on his limo was NCC-1701.

tee hee

Anyone know why they gave up on it? Nothing that should have got explained did.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:21 pm
shoeboxgirly wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

tee hee

ratings

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:24 pm
Side point:

I'm getting a kick out of all the ads at the top of this thread being changed to World of Warcraft, BSG and Star Trek RPG games and Shatner's one-man show in NY. LOL.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:27 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
shoeboxgirly wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

tee hee

ratings

the killer of all good scifi Sad

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:33 pm
I grew up watching star trek

original series:
spock was my favorite. I was always amused by kirk's gut: you could tell the time of season by its size.
not wonderfully written, but fun to watch and totally fun to laugh at kirk. heh heh...
tng:
patrick stewart is really cool. jonathan frakes was obviously hired to fill the place of william shatner as the good looking guy with little acting ability. marina sirtis's character is generally annoying but fun to make fun of. "I sense...pain! terrible pain, captain! Rolling Eyes " data was kinda fun. so was spot for that matter. and I liked barclay. wesley was the most annoying character possible. and the writing was pretty horrendous for a lot of it. I'm still not sure why I liked it, but it was certainly better than the original series.
ds9:
haven't seen it in ages, but I quite liked it when it came out. I think they took the emissary character a little too far. I liked that they continued the saga of miles and keiko o'brien. and worf was fun too. and jake wasn't nearly as annoying as wesley crusher.
voyager:
janeway was incredibly annoying, I actually found her somewhat offensive. they put a woman in the captain's chair, and she has to wimp out an cry on the bridge? repeatedly?! I mean, come on, janeway is CONSTANTLY crying. I did not watch the whole series, and don't intend to.
enterprise:
saw the first couple of episodes. blah. let's just say that the star trek franchise jumped the shark when voyager started. they should have called it quits, and I think prequels are abominable in general.

I saw most of the movies. the latest one was kinda lame.

we went to florida last summer and visited nasa. they had a small star trek academy show there, so we decided to watch it. wow. so bad. words can't even describe it. that show will ruin your liking of vulcans for life. and I felt really bad for the actors...

in general, I liked babylon 5 better, but watched it less often.

just curious, how many of you are big fans for jane yolen's commander toad books?
Hooray Hooray now those are good.

celestial

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:01 pm
What??? When is janeway crying? She's a very strong character.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:03 pm
did you watch the beginning of the series? she has some crying scenes, and yes, on the bridge. in front of the crew.

celestial

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:05 pm
Oh man, I don't remember that! I'll have to watch again. I remember her angry faces, and her "Fire" face adn voice.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:06 pm
celestial wrote:
Oh man, I don't remember that! I'll have to watch again. I remember her angry faces, and her "Fire" face adn voice.

I'd give you episode numbers, but I can't bring myself to do the resaerch Smile

bluebird

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:30 pm
shoeboxgirly wrote:
bluebird wrote:
shoeboxgirly wrote:
We have also done all of both star gates, babylon 5, farscape, firefly and more.

"Both"? You're missing a series! Smile

I'm not, dh is, he won't watch until it comes out in a box set. Rolling Eyes Also, going into a deep sleep until the network changes its mind about running a series is well...rubbish.

ITA. I really came to like that show, too.

I like old Dr Who for its campiness, and have a love/hate relationship with the new series. The theme of the companion always being a tortured romantic interest wore extremely thin with Rose and was horrible with Martha. I really LIKED Donna because they got rid of the romance completely. I haven't watched the series beyond the miniseries that followed.

I also disliked the way they brought back some of the old enemies, though I understand why they would. I especially disliked the end of the fourth season for this reason.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics