Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent in oven?

4ofus

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:15 pm
Would that be good? Does anyone have an EXACT step by step recipe. I'm married 6 years and have never made a good cholent yet. I don't like it in the crockpot.

TIA

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 11:26 pm
The trickiest bit is finding out how much liquid you need to add. I use terra cotta casserole, seal with foil first before putting the lid on so water doesn't evaporate too much. I usually start mine in the regular pot (cook for 45min) transfer them to the casserole and leave mine in 110C oven overnight. I like adding boiled eggs and sometimes vegetarian burger or chorizo on the top.

4ofus

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:37 am
Can I skip the cooking it in the pot step?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:01 pm
My best cholent is when it is made in the oven.

I do not cook it on the stove first.

I put it in a deep pot or one of those double-deep foil pans. I use the same proportions of ingredients that I do for a crockpot (if you want my exact ingredients and amounts, let me know). I seal it very well with a few layers of foil.

I put it in a 350-degree oven in the morning (usually around 8-9), and leave it like that all day. Around 4 pm I turn the oven down to 250 and leave it overnight until served.

It always gets rave reviews.

4ofus

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:22 pm
OOTBubby wrote:

I put it in a deep pot or one of those double-deep foil pans. I use the same proportions of ingredients that I do for a crockpot (if you want my exact ingredients and amounts, let me know). I seal it very well with a few layers of foil.

I put it in a 350-degree oven in the morning (usually around 8-9), and leave it like that all day. Around 4 pm I turn the oven down to 250 and leave it overnight until served.

Sounds yum! I would love the recipe please.

What's a double-deep foil pan?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:29 pm
Banana wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Sounds yum! I would love the recipe please.

What's a double-deep foil pan?

A double deep foil pan is the size of a half steam pan, but twice as deep -- they sell them anyplace in the Brooklyn frum neighborhoods that sells disposable foil pans.

For that size pan, I use the following (you can increase all ingredients by up to 25% and it will fit in the pan -- more than that and you'll need more pans):
1 lg. onion coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup mixed beans (increase to taste if desired) -- I don't even soak them
1 cup barley
8 med. potatoes in small chunks
2 strips of flanken or 1 slice middle chuck or equivalent amount of cholent/stew meat
chunk of kishka (around 1/6 of a small 1-1lb. kishka), crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
water to just cover everything (more will make it soupy)

Put ingredients in pan in order stated, then following cooking directions in previous post.

Last edited by OOTBubby on Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

4ofus

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 7:23 pm
I really suck at cooking, do you know how much salt? embarrassed

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 7:24 pm
Banana wrote:
I really suck at cooking, do you know how much salt? embarrassed

I don't measure it, I just eyeball it, but if I had to guess, I'd say around a tablespoon or so.

rofa

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 8:34 am
OOTBubby wrote:
A double deep foil pan is the size of a half steam pan, but twice as deep -- they sell them anyplace in the Brooklyn frum neighborhoods that sells disposable foil pans.

For that size pan, I use the following (you can increase all ingredients by up to 25% and it will fit in the pan -- more than that and you'll need more pans):
1 lg. onion coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup mixed beans (increase to taste if desired) -- I don't even soak them
1 cup barley
8 med. potatoes in small chunks
2 strips of flanken or 1 slice middle chuck or equivalent amount of cholent/stew meat
chunk of kishka (around 1/6 of a small 1-1lb. kishka), crumbled
salt and pepper to taste

Put ingredients in pan in order stated, then following cooking directions in previous post.

6 years later so this is a long shot- you don't add any liquid to your cholent?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:14 am
rofa wrote:

I guess I left that out; I will edit the post. I put enough water to just cover everything in the pan. More will make it soupy.

rofa

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:28 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I guess I left that out; I will edit the post. I put enough water to just cover everything in the pan. More will make it soupy.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot this week!

ttbtbm

Post Fri, May 21 2021, 7:32 am
rofa wrote:

9 years later an even longer shot Very Happy
I’m giving this a try! Since this thread is about a decade old, are there any tweaks you’ve made to the recipe? Very Happy

bzmommy

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 8:57 pm
Planning to make this during winter break bH
Can I leave an overnight kugel in oven at 250 too?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus