Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chicken POX WWYD

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:57 pm
Hi, I am supposed to go away for shabbos and it's kinda gonna be a family reunion. The person that we are going to be by the whole time,there child has chicken pox and by shabbos it will be a week since they got it. One of the other children did not get it yet. Would you risk going e/t by shabbos the child with chicken pox will probably be crusted and not contagious anymore-but then another child may be starting to get it and it is contagious a few days b4 it comes out-e/t this child is the only one that had the vaccine. My children were vaccinated but still a chance to catch it when vaccinated. What would you do/? They will be very upset if we don't come. Any ideas?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:05 pm
frankly, I'd jump at the opportunity to catch it. having chicken pox as a child grants much better immunity than the vaccination and means no chicken pox as adults, which is far worse. chicken pox parties were popular for a good reason...

middy

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:36 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
frankly, I'd jump at the opportunity to catch it. having chicken pox as a child grants much better immunity than the vaccination and means no chicken pox as adults, which is far worse. chicken pox parties were popular for a good reason...

I agree unless you are pregnant

little_mage

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 1:44 pm
I think it would probably be better to see if you could find somewhere else to stay.

That being said-I had chicken pox when I was three and my sister was a baby. We went out to California right after I got over it (I think I still had some scabs). My mother was terrified that my sister was going to get it while we were away. She still hasn't had it, and was eventually vaccinated when the vaccine came out. So...it's entirely possible that your children wouldn't get it even if another does, especially since you said they are vaccinated.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:38 pm
middy wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

I agree unless you are pregnant

This.

My dh hasn't had chicken pox, FIL is a doctor, says even for dh it is fine after that time.

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:45 pm
if they are vacinated, then what was the point of the vacination if you are going to avoid places that might have chicken pox ur whole life?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:59 pm
OP here, Thank you everyone for your advice. I had my kids vaccinated on purpose so that they won't have to have chicken pox. Unfortunately the vaccine is not totally fool proof and you can get a lighter version if going in contact with other people with chicken pox. And yes I prefer to stay away from ppl with chickenpox e/t my children may come in contact with others who may have it in school, daycare etc.. but that is not under my control. All I really want to know is if I am being fanatic by staying away this Shabbos b/c of the slight chance?

Strawberry2

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
OP here, Thank you everyone for your advice. I had my kids vaccinated on purpose so that they won't have to have chicken pox. Unfortunately the vaccine is not totally fool proof and you can get a lighter version if going in contact with other people with chicken pox. And yes I prefer to stay away from ppl with chickenpox e/t my children may come in contact with others who may have it in school, daycare etc.. but that is not under my control. All I really want to know is if I am being fanatic by staying away this Shabbos b/c of the slight chance?

I would go especially if they're vaccinated. I wish all my kids got it - they don't know how long the vaccine is for

ElTam

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:43 pm
I would probably run it by my pediatrician.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics