Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Interested in moving to Rochester, NY
Previous  1  2  3  Next

kb

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:14 pm
spring, you should go into sales - you know just what to say!

Would there be a way to stop by for a few hours (on the way from Brooklyn to Toronto) and get an idea of what the community is about? Any places that we would be able to meet people - should we just go to Wegman's, and send dh to mincha? Is there a playground where there will be other children playing? etc.

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:54 pm
kb wrote:
spring, you should go into sales - you know just what to say!

Would there be a way to stop by for a few hours (on the way from Brooklyn to Toronto) and get an idea of what the community is about? Any places that we would be able to meet people - should we just go to Wegman's, and send dh to mincha? Is there a playground where there will be other children playing? etc.

Very Happy

Stopping by is absolutely doable - lots of people do that anyway if they're taking the Thruway. PM me if you're interested in hooking up with someone who lives there now, for drive-by or Shabbos purposes, or just for asking questions. I have connections!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:10 pm
where do people go for sheitals, linen... things like that?

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:

There are people in town who wash and set, but that's an item people tend to buy elsewhere. For linen, people go to Bed Bath and Beyond or Kohl's or whatever other department stores that anyone buys from.

Toronto is a 3 hour drive, Cleveland is 4-5. Toronto is a day trip for a family without small kids; in general, you get used to long haul rides.

I lived in Queens and worked on the UES for a year, and it took me 1.5 hours to get to work on public transport - a distance of approximately 13 miles. In Rochester, if you drive for an hour and a half, you get to Niagara Falls!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:

The wife of one of the Roshei Yeshiva does wash & sets, I don't know if she sells them though.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:29 am
There is an article about Rochester in this past week's Ami Living magazine.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 2:33 pm
as spring said, stopping through is very doable. if you want to pm me, feel free.
I think the rebbetzin does sell, though I'm not sure. most people do buy in NY or something, and just have it washed and set here.
idk how old your kids are, but if you have any interest in speaking with the principal of the day school, she is very approachable, and has lived here all her life, so she is also extremely knowlegeable about the community. I can get you her number if you like.

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 3:46 pm
are there townhouses or places rent in the frum community?

spring13

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
are there townhouses or places rent in the frum community?

There are definitely some apartments, and renting a house would likely be cheaper there than in most other frum communities. Check Craig's List for listing in the Brighton area (zip codes 14610, 14618) to get an idea. Main streets to be near would be Monroe Ave., Highland Ave. But don't assume that listings there are in the frum area until you've been around or have talked to someone about it.

ETA: don't know exactly what you're looking for in terms of space and budget, but here's a sample listing of a house for rent right in the frum area: http://rochester.craigslist.or.....html. $1300 for 3 bedrooms, on a nice quiet street.

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 5:50 pm
that would be perfect, except the page does not open up. I have heard about the frum community being in a specific location, so that is where I am looking.

spring13

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
that would be perfect, except the page does not open up. I have heard about the frum community being in a specific location, so that is where I am looking.

if you're interested in moving there, or at least checking it out, you should try to go for a Shabbos or something. you'll meet people who can help you find a place in the right area, if you decide to move. but going by the example in that ad, it shouldn't be too hard to find something like what you want. it was pretty typical of houses in that neighborhood.

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 6:20 pm
The page is not opening up. can you please repost the link?
thanks

spring13

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 6:54 pm
Does this work? http://rochester.craigslist.or......html

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 7:04 pm
yes, thank you Smile is this home in the frum neighborhood? are there other frum families that live around here?

spring13

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:
yes, thank you Smile is this home in the frum neighborhood? are there other frum families that live around here?

Yes, it's in a good location. You'd have other frum families within a block or so - I'm not sure exactly who lives there right now. But its a kid-friendly neighborhood in general.

amother

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 7:22 pm
Not sure how old your kids are, but I would say at least 5 or 6 families with young kids live within a block of that house... it's not too far from where my relatives live and there are always kids playing outside in that area. I'm also pretty familiar with that location, so I may be able to answer some of your questions, too...

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 11:21 am
lots of frum families on that block and nearby. if you are interested in coming for a shabbos pm me

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 11:40 am
thank you, I will let you know if we decide to come Smile

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:19 am
Is the day school fitting for modern yeshivash kids? when do they separate boys and girs?

Is there a hs?

tryinghard

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:51 am
What does modern yeshivish mean to you? Keep in mind this is OOT so there's a lot of leeway and room for differences...
I think classes are separate from 4th grade
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating