Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
OMG, it's MSG! in my Osem onion soup mix
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 12:40 am
I've been using Osem onion soup mix in a lot of things lately. I bought that brand because I remember when I first got married I read the ingredients and it had no MSG or anything else suspicious looking. I have always used soup mix very sparingly so that first package must have lasted about a year or more, and now #2 is about 2/3 used and I JUST realized for the first time that it has a whole load of chemicals in the ingredients, including MSG. When did this happen?! I was sort of counting on using it in some of my food for Shabbos... sigh.

Is there any other no-MSG alternative left? I know I could try making my own concoction from dehydrated onions and spices, but it's never QUITE the same and certainly not quite as easy (also at the moment I'm out of onion flakes too...)

September June

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 12:48 am
Liebers make a non-msg onion soup mix.

Seraph also has a recipe for homemade onion soup mix. It's very easy to make. Click her to see the recipe.

hadasa

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 1:21 am
Osem has both with- and without-MSG versions. You have to check the package.

September June

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 1:27 am
I've only seen Osem without msg for consumme not onion soup mix. I would love to find an msg Osem onion soup mix.

Inspired

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 2:00 am
Osem makes MSG free, as hadasa says, you have to check the package. Soup mix is unhealthy even without MSG - it is full of sugar and starch. If you want healthy use actual herbs and spices.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 3:01 am
I rarely use instant soup mix in cooking. Just add spices. Mostly I find garlic and paprika enough, but lately I've been going spice crazy and adding tumeric, cumin, and dill, oregeno and basil. Cumin and tumeric are very healthy and give great flavor to the food.

jelly belly

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 8:57 am
Osem makes an "all natural" soup mix, but only chicken soup flavor. Liebers makes onion soup mix without msg, but the rest of the ingredient list is nothing to rave about. Just make your own Smile

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 9:53 am
Every item on the shelf these days has either MSG or high fructose corn syrup in it.
How sad.

shnitzel

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 10:11 am
If the dish is something you can add fried onions to that will give it the "onion soup mix" taste. Add a little garlic powder and salt and there should be enough flavour. I don't add soup mix to anything.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 11:39 am
The convenience of mix > frying onions. But the recipe for making your own is something I could live with. Anyone know what recipe tastes closest to the Osem kind?

I guess for today I will just go on using it like I always did, and when I do my shopping on Sunday I'll buy more minced onion flakes. I JUST ran out last night Sad

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 11:43 am
There is one company that has an msg free one-forgot the name. Check out your local grocer.

Inspired

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 12:19 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
Every item on the shelf these days has either MSG or high fructose corn syrup in it.
How sad.

Nothing coming out of Israel has HFCS.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 2:06 pm
I have 'Knorr' onion soup mix in my house (sold in Israel, I don't know where you are). It has no MSG, says 'all natural ingredients'.
I don't use it very often since the kids don't like it, but it does exist.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 3:34 pm
Be careful: depending on where the product comes from, it may not be enough to not see MSG in the ingredients. First, it has several names, second, it may not list every ingredient, just ingredients making up more than a certain % of the product. BTDT...

Shuly

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 4:41 pm
Osem in Israel makes both chicken and onion soup mix that are MSG-free.

Tova

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 7:51 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
How sad.

GRR...I am that crazy lady in the supermarket who looks on every package of rolls/bread for the kids' sandwiches looking for no HFCS. Forget about looking for whole grains or yoshon or the best priced. I finally found a brand that works, the thing is, the rolls are pretty small. I know my kids would easily eat a bigger sandwich with protein filling but they insist they don't want two sandwiches. So instead of sending a nice sized sandwich they eat a small one (think dinner roll size).

chanahlady

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 10:49 am
Straits has no MSG.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 11:21 am
Tova wrote:
IMHopinion wrote:
How sad.

GRR...I am that crazy lady in the supermarket who looks on every package of rolls/bread for the kids' sandwiches looking for no HFCS. Forget about looking for whole grains or yoshon or the best priced. I finally found a brand that works, the thing is, the rolls are pretty small. I know my kids would easily eat a bigger sandwich with protein filling but they insist they don't want two sandwiches. So instead of sending a nice sized sandwich they eat a small one (think dinner roll size).

GRR indeed! Ever consider just making your own? To each their own but I personally found making my own bread to be a lot less intimidating than I thought it would be. As life gets busy I still don't do it as often as I would like to, but I still make my own challah and I make enough that the leftovers take us through a bit of the week too.

Tova

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 3:58 pm
Thanks for commiserating!

I really cannot take on making my own bread (and don't really know how to)...I work full time in an often stressful job. On a good week we have homemade challah. My challah/rolls are good but too heavy-ish to make sandwiches out of - I would need the consistency to be light and fluffy. And the time commitment is just not something I can take on...

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 7:24 pm
I totally hear you. Do you have a local kosher bakery where they make things fresh? Maybe it's an illusion but I always think of those as being more wholesome than factory bread. Or at least there you could talk to a person to find out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking