Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds throws up on the bus ride... help!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 1:19 pm
DS is in school already and he still throws up on the bus! It seemed like he was out- growing it bec it used to be all the time in the car or on the bus, now it's only some times.
What should I do? I don't want him to take dramamine every day. I told him to take his coat off, try to sit up front and open the window (but the driver doesn't let the window be open...)
S/times it happens right after he gets to school that he pukes, sometimes on the way home.
He has a longish ride and the school said hteres' nothing to do to shorten his ride.
Any ideas how to help the poor kid?!
Thanks!

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 1:25 pm
Tell him not to read or look down. This makes me very nausiated!

There's also homeopathic pills that he can take to offset nausia, but I don't know where to get them.

imaima

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 1:25 pm
studying_torah wrote:
DS is in school already and he still throws up on the bus! It seemed like he was out- growing it bec it used to be all the time in the car or on the bus, now it's only some times.
What should I do? I don't want him to take dramamine every day. I told him to take his coat off, try to sit up front and open the window (but the driver doesn't let the window be open...)
S/times it happens right after he gets to school that he pukes, sometimes on the way home.
He has a longish ride and the school said hteres' nothing to do to shorten his ride.
Any ideas how to help the poor kid?!
Thanks!

I don't know how to help you, but I don't think it is really a disease. It's just that some people are more prone to getting dizzy on the transport and throwing up than others. I think I would give him medicine if it was a one time thing, but not for every day.
My son is pre-K and also throws up on a bus. Fortunately, he does not have to use it that often. I make sure to avoid it as much as possible. Sorry no advice here, but I think at least you shouldn't be worried.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 1:34 pm
Have you explained to the bus driver that he needs to have the window open a bit? Perhaps he can sit a couple seats back, but open the window so it isn't bothering the driver.

I'd try light crackers about 1/2hr before he leaves. Some people swear by lemon or sour tasting food; sometimes just smelling it helps. Go easy on heavy, oily food. Look out the window at a distance, don't try and read or anything.

And give him heavy plastic bags.

My daughters would get sick all the time on the bus, so I sympathize.

marina

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 1:45 pm
Close eyes for the entire ride. Also a bit of singing or humming.

JC

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 2:10 pm
What about one of those bracelets they have for sea sickness?

NaturalMom

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 2:16 pm
JC wrote:
What about one of those bracelets they have for sea sickness?

I was one of those kids! Nothing helped. As an adult, one of those bracelets does actually help a bit. Also, when I was pregnant, I took a homeopathic remedy for nausea that really worked and I would imagine it would work for motion sickness.

Send him to school with bags to throw up in and some baby wipes to clean up as needed, and maybe something to freshen his breath.

luvinlife

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 2:33 pm
Any way to take him to a later stop so he doesn't have to be on the bus that long? or any other arrangements. If not have him take some crackers pretzels or rice cakes on the bus and have him eat a little bit if he gets nauseous and maybe a drink to and to never ever read or turn around and sit in the front. Also tell the bus driver he needs the window open. That's basically all you can do. I still have this as an adult but besides for plane rides or really long bus rides I don't take dramamine.

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 2:52 pm
Yep. I used to all the time. Even in high school. And nothing worked...

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 2:54 pm
Drivers are not sympathetic- they get mad at him for making a mess! I do send along bags but he can't always get to it in time. also, s/times it happens in school and then he misses class time while he's barfing....
he def knows not to read on the bus, and always sits straight.
Do you think a kid can wear those sea bands? (I never liked them for myself cuz I felt like it was cutting off my blood supply). Also, I'm not sure he'd remember to put them on before going home every day.
Unfortunately, he does need to go on the bus, and as I don't drive, I can't take him to another stop.....
Keep the ideas coming!
Thanks!!
Smile

marina

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 5:19 pm
at the risk of repeating myself, he just needs to keep his eyes closed.

Motion sickness results from the way the brain interprets incoming visual stimuli. If he closes his eyes, it eliminates this problem.

Also, I would have him eat breakfast at school.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 7:20 pm
Well, it is the opposite for me. I *have* to look at the road and scenery moving by or I become motion sick. If I close my eyes, try to sleep, or read a book while riding in a car, I get sick. Well, at least that is how it was when I was a kid. Now, I'm much less sensitive, but I still don't read in the car for long periods of time, or I start to feel queasy after a while.

Raizle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 8:42 pm
Have you tried talking to the bus driver yourself?
If he isn't co-operating, is there a higher up you can speak to?

spring13

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 9:49 pm
I was also going to suggest sea bands or something like that. Don't worry about him forgetting to put them on: if they work, he'll remember to do it. Or can you ask the teacher who dismisses him to help make sure he gets them out?

Have you talked to his pediatrician about this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics