Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do you prevent hair thinning/balding?
1  2  Next

comfort18

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 12:26 pm
Does anyone here who wear a shetiel know how to prevent hair thinning/balding, due to the pulling and pressure cause by the combs and/or clips? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ShiraMiri

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 12:34 pm
You can always use an elastic nylon wig cap/thigh high/knee high and attach your wig to it instead of directly on your hair/scalp. You can also place strips of velcro inside your wig cap where the combs would be and use that to fasten to your hair instead of combs. Also, using bobby pins at the earflaps instead of combs can be a solution. Also, crossing over the velcro tabs at the bottom/base of the sheitle and sewing them that way so the wig cap is tighter can be used in conjunction with the above mentioned ideas for a snugger fit without combs. Combs/clips still hold a wig on the best though. The other thing you can do is not wear your sheitle so much and wear a snood or hat to give your poor head a break.

Other than than the only things to do are:

1. Embrace your inner Kojak

2. Learn how to style a mean comb-over

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 4:24 pm
The best way to prevent the pulling is to make a 1/2 ponytail and fasten it with a flat clip (so as not to add bulk to the crown). this way the comb will slide into the hair as oppossed to fighting your hair, it will eliminate the pulling.

Also, ALWAYS open the clips before taking off the staitel. That will keep you from balding. (you don't know how many Kallahs make that mistake!)

marroon

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:02 pm
I only fasten the side 2 clips, (above the ears) not the top one.

Works for me!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 2:10 pm
Every 6 months or so, or one time when you send it in for a wash, have the shaitel machor move the clips slightly so there isn't always pressure on the same exact spot.

mumof1

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 3:42 pm
only 1, I do the same.
my others are customs I only put clips on the sides and a small clip in the top center.
dont clip them in so tight that it hurts.

Jmommy

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 7:53 pm
Quote:
[quote="Mommy3.5"]The best way to prevent the pulling is to make a 1/2 ponytail and fasten it with a flat clip (so as not to add bulk to the crown). this way the comb will slide into the hair as oppossed to fighting your hair, it will eliminate the pulling.

I know this post is from a few years ago, but it is still relevant.
Can you please be a little more specific on this comment? Sounds like a good idea but I'm a little confused! What kind of half pony? what do you do with the rest of the hair? where does the flat clip end up on the head? on top or behind?

Thank you!!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:31 pm
Milano sells a Freedom wig - without clips!!!

They also sell a special wrap around headband made from crushed velvet - you just put your current shaitel on top and it holds it in place!! No clips -

I tried - it - it worked well with a full shaitel but not with my headband fall!

a bit pricey for for what it is... but ppl swear by it - its about $20 - on the milano website

Jmommy

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:49 pm
Thank you blueberry muffin, great tip, I will def buy!

mimimom

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 10:01 pm
Bottom line--if your shaitel fits well you hardly need combs, clips, etc. Once I bit the bullet and had my shaitelach altered (made bigger) I stopped having any problem with pulling etc. Actually, I don't need anything but one comb in the front--the rest stays put with attaching anything. Problem solved--and much more comfortable.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 9:48 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:

They also sell a special wrap around headband made from crushed velvet - you just put your current shaitel on top and it holds it in place!! No clips -

I tried - it - it worked well with a full shaitel but not with my headband fall!

a bit pricey for for what it is... but ppl swear by it - its about $20 - on the milano website

The WiGrip Comfort Band
http://www.mcwigs.com/accessories4.aspx

jaysmom

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 10:03 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:

Dang. I am getting one of those to try with a fall. I have no problems with any of my full sheitels. Oh well. If it doesn't work for me I will have a fall to sell Sad

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 11:24 pm
mimimom wrote:
Bottom line--if your shaitel fits well you hardly need combs, clips, etc. Once I bit the bullet and had my shaitelach altered (made bigger) I stopped having any problem with pulling etc. Actually, I don't need anything but one comb in the front--the rest stays put with attaching anything. Problem solved--and much more comfortable.

You are one gutsy mom! I guess those windy days or low hanging branches don't scare you, huh? LOL

chat

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 11:30 pm
I just bought this headband from milano that keeps wig on without clips its great and doesnt pull out hair!!

Jmommy

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 7:47 am
I just ordered the headband from milano! thanks everyone!

sheindl

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 10:00 am
The headband is awesome!! It seriously feels like youre wearing a snood all day.

jflower

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 11:11 am
My sheitelmacher replaced the front comb with a flexible 2 inch wide comb, and she sewed it in about 2 inches back. This way the comb goes into a lot more hair than if it would be right at the front of my hairline.

Works like a charm. I now do this with all my sheitels.

Jmommy

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 8:46 pm
Quote:
My sheitelmacher replaced the front comb with a flexible 2 inch wide comb, and she sewed it in about 2 inches back. This way the comb goes into a lot more hair than if it would be right at the front of my hairline.

Works like a charm. I now do this with all my sheitels.

I did the same thing and it worked great....until it started pulling the hair that the comb was in and now that area is hurting me there the same way it did before it started pulling out by the front!

lisaansell

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 11:24 pm
chat wrote:
I just bought this headband from milano that keeps wig on without clips its great and doesnt pull out hair!!

I just bought it too. My concern is that it may make the front of the wig (the hairline) look raised as opposed to flat on the head. Any thoughts on this?

Jmommy

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 8:40 am
Quote:
I just bought it too. My concern is that it may make the front of the wig (the hairline) look raised as opposed to flat on the head. Any thoughts on this?

I hope not! I will let you know as soon as I try it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels