Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
To Those Who Are Pro-Vaccines:
1  2  Next

September June

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 11:53 pm
This is a spinoff to the vaccine shidduch thread.

If your child would decide not to vaccinate your grandchildren WWYD?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 11:54 pm
revoke the trust fund

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 12:04 am
I would be very upset, but once she/he is married and out of the house, I guess I would have no say.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 12:18 am
Put them on a spaceship to Mars.
Or: nothing, aside from asking them why they made the decision and giving them information. The children are their children, not my children. They have to make these decisions.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 12:41 am
Never mind the no vaccines. What about their refusal to take a child to the doctor when the child is ill?
But kids never listen to their parents, certainly not when they are adults.
So we have no say as grandparents.
All we can do is daven, for them to come to the right seichel, and for Hashem to watch over the children.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 12:42 am
amother wrote:
revoke the trust fund
Rolling Laughter

MrsDuby

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 1:01 am
When my sister in law had her baby, my mother in law started giving advice etc etc... and my brother in law felt it started to cross a line. So he very politely told her, "you had your opportunity to raise your kids, now its my opportunity to raise mine"

While I am not a grandparent yet, I think there comes an understanding that every adult has a right to raise their kid the way they want. If you try to push your opinions, it will just make things uncomfortable for your child and spouse and the LAST thing you want is for them to stop talking to you or limiting contact because you are being overbearing and opinionated.

(I think this concept applies to ALL areas... such as religious and lifestyle choices.)

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 1:13 am
HindaRochel wrote:
Put them on a spaceship to Mars.
Or: nothing, aside from asking them why they made the decision and giving them information. The children are their children, not my children. They have to make these decisions.

I agree. When my kids still at home don't like a policy, I say that this is what Tatty and I have decided. When you get married, you and your spouse will decide together.

morah

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 7:14 am
I would hit the roof, and they would know it. While there wouldn't be anything I could do about it (unless I had some sort of incentive to wield, such as a trust fund, lol), I would certainly voice my displeasure. In general, I believe that parents have to make choices for their own families and it's not up to the grandparents. But I feel vaccines are different- I believe they're a safety issue. I wouldn't stay quiet if my kids decided they weren't going to put their kids in carseats either.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 8:17 am
Start charging for babysitting services.

That might make them rethink their decision. LOL

middy

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 8:41 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I agree. When my kids still at home don't like a policy, I say that this is what Tatty and I have decided. When you get married, you and your spouse will decide together.

This.

Culturedpearls

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 2:46 pm
Daaven

nylon

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 5:25 pm
morah wrote:
I would hit the roof, and they would know it. While there wouldn't be anything I could do about it (unless I had some sort of incentive to wield, such as a trust fund, lol), I would certainly voice my displeasure. In general, I believe that parents have to make choices for their own families and it's not up to the grandparents. But I feel vaccines are different- I believe they're a safety issue. I wouldn't stay quiet if my kids decided they weren't going to put their kids in carseats either.

This.

jelly belly

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 5:36 pm
I would ask them to share their research so I could understand how they came to that decision.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 5:42 pm
I might have a fit.... actually I WOULD have a fit. For me, vaccines are right up there on the child safety list together with car seats

cookielady

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 5:51 pm
Recently I was asking one of my sons about this. I was very surprised when he said he'd be fine with home births. When it came to vaccines, he said that to him it wasn't optional. He feels very strongly about his children being vaccinated. Honestly I was happy to hear this.

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 6:07 pm
Not an option in our family. We have immuno-suppressed relatives.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 08 2012, 2:33 pm
StrawberrySmoothie wrote:
Not an option in our family. We have immuno-suppressed relatives.
Us too. I could only spend time with them if vaccinated. Otherwise it would be too dangerous for me.

ElTam

Post Wed, Feb 08 2012, 7:16 pm
I would mix out. It would be very, very hard, but I would leave it to them.

simchat

Post Wed, Feb 08 2012, 7:44 pm
Totally their decision as adults and parents. My mum is anti (most) vaccines, never had an epidural, co-slept with her babies etc... I am pro-vaccine, had an epidural and am anti- co-sleeping (so far... Wink)... Just a few examples of our differences of opinion - the list goes on! We talk about these things as they come up in conversations and are each fine with the other`s choices. I`d like to think I`d be the same with my kids iy`H...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics