Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Up every 2 hours at night...

amother

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 8:04 pm
my 6 month old is waking up every 2 hours at night, I cant deal with it anymore!!
he is on solids..as well as breastfed.
any suggestions??
I cant really ask my husband to go to him as he works all day and I dont so it not fair to make him wake up but I need to get this kid out of this pattern.. what can I do ?? : What

miriam

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 8:11 pm
Are you feeding him right before bedtime? I think that helps, fill them up before bed.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 9:08 pm
at this age you might be able to already let him CIO...ask his dr...if you want to...
Try to comfort him without breast when he wakes up at night..as the what to expect book suggests...when he wakes up, rock him, etc...even if you can get him to go 15 more minutes, hopefully next time he'll sleep 2 hrs and 15 minutes.

ltlesmartmom

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
my 6 month old is waking up every 2 hours at night, I cant deal with it anymore!!
he is on solids..as well as breastfed.
any suggestions??
I cant really ask my husband to go to him as he works all day and I dont so it not fair to make him wake up but I need to get this kid out of this pattern.. what can I do ?? : What

Believe it or not... My daughter did the same and when I went to the doctor she said that my daughter is teething!

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Nov 26 2006, 9:21 pm
Let him cry it out a couple nights and he'll stop crying. I know I am going to get a lot of slack for this suggestion so if you can't do that then I would suggest some kind of method like the "Ferber Method."

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 11:47 am
how long has this behavior been going on?
if its a new thing, it can be related to teething, and perhaps u should wait for it to pass, although I am sure it is really really hard to handle
if this has been going on for months, perhaps u need to get a little "strict" with him....even if its hard. training a baby is difficult, but worth it.....
maybe try to let him cry in the crib but go in constantly to soothe him...
that way he will essentially be crying it out, but he will still feel secure and loved and supported
thats what worked with my baby
hatzlacha!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 6:02 pm
he did sleep through for a few weeks but he has been waking up for the last 3 or so months , just getting worse every night really.
I try to let him cry it out but I don’t have any other kids so im just sitting there listening to him cry and it breaks my heart! I cant do it!
also he gets really hysterical and when he sees me it makes it worse he gets even more hysterical..
just now he woke up a hour after I got him to sleep. I left him but he got really hysterical. I went in, made him worse so I picked him up and in 5 min he is back asleep, I didn’t even need to feed him this time.
but I can deal with nights like this! sometimes it takes me a while to fall back asleep and being woken so often just makes me exhausted in the morn!!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 6:59 pm
1. Similar thing happenned to friend of mine. She had started to lose her milk. She only found out when she finally tried pumping to measure and pumped barely anything. B"H she went to a homeopathist and got her supply up and the baby started sleeping again and so did she, which only helped her supply more.

2. Teething is also a possibility. Depending on your and your pediatricians shita, maybe some pain relief before bed?

3. Tough love....a different friend of mine had to send her dh in for a week in her place, so it was hard for dh that week, but the baby learned that she wasn't going to get fed so often at night. Most friends of mine say going in to check was more for them than the baby and the baby adjusted more quickly when just left to CIO or for tatty. I know, I'm made of stone (not really at all!)...I did straight up CIO and by night 3, he cried 2 minutes.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:34 am
a 6 month old is supposed to be sleeping through the night??

all babies are different. lots of babies dont sleep through until a year old.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 1:17 pm
some do...but it's definately not normal for a healthy 6 mo old to wake up every 2 hours to eat at night.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 1:25 pm
not normal? Confused
babies do what they want. if they agree to settle in and be trained, great. if theyre a bit stubborn, I wouldnt call that abnormal.

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 1:33 pm
I agree. when it comes to night patterns. feeding patterns... there is such a wide spectrom of what goes on. speak to your doctor.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 1:52 pm
Well, I don't think it's such a sin of gevurah to want to train a 6 mo baby to eat a little less often at night. Obviously this mother wants to do that, which is why she started the thread.

If you don't mind waking up every 2 hours to feed her, gezunterheit!

A healthy 6 mo old who also eats solids during the day should not need to wake up so often at night on such a regular basis, which obviously means there's something else here such as scheduling, teething, milk supply, sleep disturbances, etc.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:40 pm
njmommy, I agree with u!
why must the o.p. be discouraged from training her child? shes bombed out of her mind from her kid waking up every 2 hours at nite!
gr and shayna82, I agree that o.p.'s baby is "normal"--every baby does its own thing...however, o.p. definitely should try to work on making baby's nighttime behavior easier on her....is it so wrong of a woman to want a good night's sleep? Confused
o.p., I found that it worked best when my husband went in to check on the baby during the 'crying it out'. when I would go in, my baby just became more hysterical. so it became my husband's job to put him to sleep. my hubby checked on him often, every 8-10 min or so, and stayed with him for a couple minutes each time--sang to him, gave him his pacifier, made him feel cozy---until he eventually fell asleep.
didnt take too long if we put him in when very tired. (30-40 min the first few nights...then shorter and shorter)
my baby would finally fall sleep during one of his daddy's songs or rocking sessions....he generally did not actually fall asleep crying, rather when he saw that nobody was taking him out of the crib after crying for a while, he allowed my husband's comforting presence to lull him to sleep and he fell asleep feeling comforted and loved.
different methods work with different babies---but I would definitely give this one a shot. it worked for me, and my baby was not easy either, he also woke up every 2 hours or so at night!
good luck
I hope u get your well-deserved solid night of sleep soon, and your baby should stay healthy and well and bring u a lot of joy

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:46 pm
of course, though--try to rule out hunger or another "real" reason for crying-- other than just what baby is used to--for the crying, b4 going ahead with this method.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 7:17 pm
Quote:
gr and shayna82, I agree that o.p.'s baby is "normal"--every baby does its own thing...however, o.p. definitely should try to work on making baby's nighttime behavior easier on her....is it so wrong of a woman to want a good night's sleep?

of course it's not wrong, unless youre overriding your babies' needs with your own.
I learned from experience- you can try and train as much as you want, but some babies want their own schedule, not yours!
believe me, I tried everything in training my 15 month old. NOTHING worked. I just had to learn to adapt to him. when he was ready around 12 months, he started sleeping through. there was NOTHING I could do to change that.
now, BH, he begs to go in around 6 and wakes up about 12 hours later, and I dont hear a peep from him.

my 3 year old OTOH thrived on scheduling and sleep-training.

Kids are all different. that's all I'm saying. you have to know what personality type youre dealing with before you force anything on anyone. if my older one cries, I know it means he's tired and wants to go back to sleep. if my younger one cries, I know it means something is not right and I have to go check why he's uncomfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics