Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Shabbos Robe

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 11:35 am
Where can I find a petite shabbos robe?

Honestly do not have time to get one shortened, u know?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 11:56 am
Shop in the jr section, or shop in a place where they have petities...or can shorten it for you.

chen

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 2:49 pm
or if you're really small, try children's sizes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 2:59 pm
The problem with the children robes is the top is not usually spacious enough for grown women Wink At least in my expereince.
I always have to get mine shortened Sad

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 3:15 pm
Just take it to a decent dry cleaner, they usually have someone there that does alterations. I t only takes a few minutes to pin it up then you pick it up a few days later. Doesn't take much time at all.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 3:54 pm
How much is a hem, $15? You're better off getting something to fit from the rack!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 4:32 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
How much is a hem, $15? You're better off getting something to fit from the rack!

Ha ha, easier said than done!

I am a petite person too and unless something is a petite size in the first place, it usually does not fit quite right. (Unless sometimes if it is something stretchy and not fitted like a t-shirt or sweatshirt, or just a short skirt which is OK if it hits a little lower.) I have the hardest time finding things like coats or other clothes which have to really fit, but don't come in petites too often. And no, juniors or kids is not the same as petites. Even if the kids clothes fit (which they never do) it is not a good idea to be wearing kids clothes when you are small in the first place. You will just look like a kid!

Non-petite people, you have much to be grateful for!

Mitzvamom, I doubt you will be able to find something which doesn't need to be shortened. Think of it this way, at least it is likely to be an easy alteration.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 10:17 am
It's just a robe, for crying out loud, not a bridal gown! How superbly does it have to fit? Shorten it yourself--cut off the necessary inches from the bottom, fold up and stitch a few rows of plain stitching by machine. I repeat--it's just a robe. You do not have to blind hemstitch by hand unless you want to. No one will notice or care.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 10:30 am
Chen, you sound like my mother. You just don't understand, or you aren't trying to understand.

A Shabbos robe is the way you greet Shabbos, the way you spend the 24 hours of Shabbos in joy, luxury, and comfort.

It's not JUST a robe.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Nov 28 2006, 10:33 am
ok then where to get a nice one for shabbos (I.e. when visiting) that's not going to cost me a pretty penny

chen

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 8:21 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Chen, you sound like my mother. You just don't understand, or you aren't trying to understand.

A Shabbos robe is the way you greet Shabbos, the way you spend the 24 hours of Shabbos in joy, luxury, and comfort.

It's not JUST a robe.

If that is OP's view, then she should spend the $ to have it professionally done. You can't have it both ways. seems to me if you're spending nearly as much on a robe as I would for a dress to wear to someone's wedding (and if you're buying Raza robes and the like, then you are)--you can spend the extra few bucks to have it shortened.

actually, OP, you can order from raza robes, give them your measurements and they will make the robe to your specs, including shorter sleeves and hem length.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 8:42 am
I want something that looks semi decent so that I can be comfortable.

Especially when waking up in the morning, while visiting someone for shabbos. I just throw on the robe, wash and go to the bathroom.. It's awful to have to get dressed before washing.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:27 am
What's your budget, MM? I was just at Act 7 in Flatbush last week, I would have looked at prices for you!

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 11:31 am
at most $70 - I have seen some nice ones online... who knows..

G-d willing I will be in flatbush sunday so maybe I will try to find time to go to that store.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 1:01 pm
MM – I hope you want velour, b/c that’s almost all they have right now!

mommy2

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 8:45 pm
If you come to Montreal you can find in the factories for less than 40$.

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 03 2006, 9:09 pm
Quote:
It's just a robe, for crying out loud, not a bridal gown!
Chen my thoughts too LOL
The only difference is that I don't wear a robe even a gorgous one for greeting shabbos. I wear (gasp) real clothes Smile

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 4:25 pm
Tefilah, stockings and shoes and everything?

tziviakayla

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 4:32 pm
I bought a gorgeous black velvet robe (originally $75) for $10 from JC Penney the day after X-mas last year! I wear it on Shabbos. It looks just as nice as a regular "Shabbos Robe".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars