Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
TABLE PADS - are they necessary?

Do you think we should order the protective pads?
YES  
 80%  [ 8 ]
NO  
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

queen

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 1:43 pm
We have to make a decision today about whether or not we are ordering table pads with our table.

It will cost $275 for plexi-glass to cover table (including extra pieces for the leaves)

I don't think I'll ever be leaving my table uncovered.... as I prefer always keeping a cloth on.

So then what is the purpose of spending an additional $275?
It's a solid/heavy table.... what exactly are we protecting it from, if it'll always be covered..

my question basically is: Do you think we should order them anyway, or skip the pads?

stem

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 1:49 pm
SKIP THEM!

bandcm

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 1:55 pm
You´re already spending so much money on a table, what´s an extra 275 dollars?
The table will be there forever, and who says you won´t one day change your mind and start leaving the table uncovered?
And btw, the pads protect it from bumps and scratches that can definitely happen even when there is a tablecloth.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 1:58 pm
Even when covered a wood table can get damaged by spills, heat or dropping things on them. I didn't get them when I bought my set. I wish I had. Twenty-twenty hind sight I guess. I think it is worth the extra expense, but it is up to you.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:06 pm
queen wrote:
We have to make a decision today about whether or not we are ordering table pads with our table.

It will cost $275 for plexi-glass to cover table (including extra pieces for the leaves)

I don't think I'll ever be leaving my table uncovered.... as I prefer always keeping a cloth on.

So then what is the purpose of spending an additional $275?
It's a solid/heavy table.... what exactly are we protecting it from, if it'll always be covered..

my question basically is: Do you think we should order them anyway, or skip the pads?

When you place a hot plate on your table, moisture will build up under the glass of the table pad and stay there. Glass is not the best idea for a table pad.

queen

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:08 pm
only1 wrote:
When you place a hot plate on your table, moisture will build up under the glass of the table pad and stay there. Glass is not the best idea for a table pad.

intesting point. Are you talking from experience..... or speculation?

anyone have glass pads themselves?????

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:09 pm
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:

intesting point. Are you talking from experience..... or speculation?

anyone have glass pads themselves?????

From the guy I bought my furniture from. (a frum guy who owns the store).
He told me people make the mistake of buying glass table pads, and it actually ruins the wood.

queen

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:16 pm
Thanks Only.... I'll relay your point to my husband when we discuss it later. Much appreciated.

Ok, so now what are we going to spend the $275 on?????? Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:23 pm
If you will be using the table for Pesach, you might want one, but you can get a quilted type one for much much less.

that's what we do.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:41 pm
I was thinking about the old style felt ones.

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 3:25 pm
I have glass top, we love it, it protects from spills, scrathes, but our table is uncovered all week, even so if u dont use plastic on top of ur tablecloth spills can damage the wood if u dont have glass underneath.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 3:27 pm
Glass is also commonly used to cover wooden desks. But a table? That’s anyway covered? I don’t see it…

queen

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 3:29 pm
red sea wrote:
I have glass top, we love it, it protects from spills, scrathes, but our table is uncovered all week, even so if u dont use plastic on top of ur tablecloth spills can damage the wood if u dont have glass underneath.

yeah, but what about the comment made earlier that placing hot dishes on table (cholent for ex) will create condensation between wooden table and (bottom) of glass.... which is damaging to table?

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:10 pm
We have a foam-y type pad that we keep on. Because, realistically, stuff spills. It's much easier to wipe off the foam than to have to properly clean (and polish) the table.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 4:50 pm
I think you should get some sort of table pad, just not glass.

red sea

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 5:23 pm
queen wrote:
red sea wrote:

yeah, but what about the comment made earlier that placing hot dishes on table (cholent for ex) will create condensation between wooden table and (bottom) of glass.... which is damaging to table?

Never had a prob with that as of yet, maybe our cholent isn't hot enough Very Happy

forever

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 6:12 pm
I think that table pads are very important for the table it saves the table from getting all scratched up.
I have a custom size glass for my table and it is very good.

queen

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 8:06 am
Just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice Smile
We've decided to skip the glass and order table pads instead.

Now..... when I'm not on IMaMother..... I'll be googling table pads!!!!!!!!!

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:00 am
I've had glass for 3.5 years now & love it. We have a very nice table & I didn't want it getting covered up by pads or a cloth all the time just so my kids don't scratch it. With glass, you are protected but can still see the table.

Only1- never had a problem with moisture from hot food. Maybe it's because I ususally put a placemat down. The worst problem I've had is geeting milk spilled & it seeps under so now I have 2 vinyl table cloths (m & f) which I put out only when the kids eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars